Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Curing Chamber idea + questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzappenning

they look like standard oven elements to me (just different shape), they work under water (humidity control?), and they turn on at the plate warm cycle (maybe on lower power so stuff doesnt melt/more durability then red hot)?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
last year i used a kiln i made,,,,i used a 250 watt heat lamp,,,and a crock-pot,

but truthfully,,,,

i like the baccy from my whole stalk cured plants a lot better,

Daniel

Banned
Good luck on the solar "Assisted" Kiln. Keep us informed on how it works as I am very interested in playing with solar designs. It has be rolling round in the back of my head what it might take to actually build a solar kiln.

Great secondary use for the bags. But you know if they are going to be an accessory to spirit making I have to triple the price. :)

I am testing a new kiln, I won't call it a "solar kiln" Maybe "solar assisted kiln". In 2 hours in a south facing window with full sun it raises the temperature by 30 F. I also have a crockpot for the main heat source.

On an off topic I found another use for your seed bags. I made some pear wine and did not know what to strain it thru before final fermenting. The bag worked great, took out all the coarse pulp . Russ

Daniel

Banned
Bob, I believe that information is a magical thing. just sprinkle a little bit around and you never know what might happen. So for those that might have any interest in temperature control, including myself. I googled the controller you mentioned. The top link on the list lead to this.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Ranco-ETC-...t-11627000-p?gclid=CO7Oq4Pt7a4CFasERQodeAIGHw

Even at $50 (not including shipping) that costs as much as 5 hot water heater thermostats. Given that I have two years experience with several hot water heater thermostats I would say it is a great deal. It would take a bit of work to even get a water heater stat to 170 degrees. I know they say they go as high as 190 but keep in mind that is sensing the temperature through the metal of the tank. The temperature of the surface the stat is touching is nowhere near 190. sensing the temp from air contact I find it hard to get much above 100 degrees. Even then it is not very accurate control.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have all summer to work out the details of a home built flue curing chamber but I fully expect to take it on this year. I don't think it has to be much more complicated than a kiln. The temperature is higher and needs to be more accurately controlled and adjustable. air movement is more critical. And humidity control is much more of an issue. Heat may require significanly more power. I am looking at it is basically the same amount of energy will have to be used in a shorter period of time.

I have a lot of ideas and some experience that gives me a good chance that those ideas are at least in the ball park. BTu here are the main issues is see with designing a flue curing chamber.

1. reliable accurate control of temperature.
2. enough power to supply the heat requirements. Not only are higher temperatures necessary but the system must have the ability to increase the temperature in a specific time frame. For example increasing the temperature by 2 degrees per hour over a several hour period. This may not be asking a lot when going from 100 to 102 degrees in one hour. but going from 158 to 160 in one hour may prove to be a whole different challenge.
3. adequate air movement through the chamber. I see this as possibly the most difficult to get right. From what I can tell tobacco is packed in a flue curing chamber far more densely than in other forms of curing. Other curing methods rely mainly on the natural movement of air while flue curing relies on t he air pretty much being forced through the leaves.
4. Removing moisture from the chamber while not loosing heat excessively. The much higher temperatures required are goign to make this a much more costly device to operate. anything that can be done to minimize that power usage will be significant. Two things I see that can reduce this power requirment. a. insulation and air tightness. b. retaining that air tightness even in regard to the removal of excess water. This may sem difficult at first thought. But actually the method of removing water from a chamber and retaining an air tight seal is very simple and has been known for a very long time. It is called a P-Trap. every drain in your house has one and it keeps sewer gases from coming back into your house. that is why your bathroom does not smell like an outhouse. The only other issue is how to get the moisture int eh air into a pan so it will drain out through a line with a P-Trap in it. I have some ideas on how to do it but will have to experiment to get it right if it will work at all. So far I am thinking of some sort of condenser where the moist hot air will contact a cool surfae. the mositure will condense on this surface and run down to a pan and out a drain fitted with a P-Trap. a network of copper pipe with cold water being pumped through it. this condenser would be able to run only when humidity readings indicate it is needed.

that is just a brief overview of where my thinking is going on this.

One of my first thoughts when I saw the containers the other day was that where I work they throw away a to of metal frame work. The discouraging thing since then is that I have watched an almost non ending pile of such frame work get tossed out since then. all of it far to heavy for me to able able to get. One huge 8 foot long 4 to 5 foot tall and 4 foot deep frame on wheels was setting along side the dumpster two days ago. If I had a trailor and the space I would have taken it in a heart beat. I don't know yet just how I want to try and construct this. I will most likely start with a very small chamber of say 8 cubic feet of space in order to work out the details in proper air movement and humidity reduction etc. then scale up this design to the full size chamber It think I will end up needing.

To may projects right now. my brain is getting stretched to thin. our electric fence. drip system and the lat items for my beehives all arrived on the same day yesterday. That kicked me into the next phase of three projects for today alone. It's going to be a long hard spring.

The best controller I have seen is the ranco etc-111000-000 it can be purchased prewired for easy installation expect to pay about $75.00 for it. It is easy to program and use. It has a max temp range of 220 f making it quite suitable for flue curing
bob

Ishi

I use a water heater stat with 2 100w regular light bulbs in a plywood box with 1 1/2 foam insulation between and get 180+ to melt bees wax. Or turn it to 120 to liquify honey. Temp swings do not matter for these operations.

Dan

Daniel

Banned
Bob, I don't know yet. I have something like 4X4X8 feet rolling around in my head. I have 5 plants growing in my shop right now. once they mature I am harvesting seed from 2 of them and then will use the leaves of all of them to get an idea of how many cubic inches of space I think I need per plant. It is at least some figure to start with. from there I will start thinking about final dimensions of a box for 720 or so plants. I am still thinking that it will be 720 plants divided by three and I will prime harvest in three to 4 separate days.

Daniel

Banned
I finally got a fair grip on using Google Sketch Up. Thanks Deluxe for pointing me in that direction.

Here is my first brain storm as far as a Flue Curing chamber. It will be tested in miniature scale, something like 1/16th before I set up a full size one.

I managed to get a fair grip on the drawing but still have no idea how to share the file.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=e6e01712b1b38c67afd81fd47b2d441

Lets see if that works.

Daniel

Banned
Sweet the link show sit to me anyway.

Notice I drew it without the door which of course will be added before I actually run one. I also left off one side and the top of the heat condenser chamber. The hole heat box concenser thing is a bit elaborate but I know for a fact the design works. I have used it before on an egg incubator. I also know for a fact that a condensor can be somethign as simple as a piece of glass in teh wall of that box. moisture will simply collect on the glass and be drained from the chamber. I have not added the drain pipe yet but it is simple to construct. As simple P-Trap drain will keep the kiln air tight.

I plan to build this in a 1 foot square by 2 foot tall version with nothing more than a computer fan. I don't think I will get the test version to the full 160 degrees because I don't think the fan can tolerate it. I will get it to 160 without the fan simply to demonstrate the temperature is achievable.

Also the false ceiling should have holes in it like the false floor does. I have not gotten around to placing all those holes.

Also the holes are 1/4 inch diameter. This was selected because 64 1/4 inch holes have approximately the same area as a single 6 inch diameter duct pipe. I don't want easy passages for the air or the majority of the air will follow that path. I may actually reduce the number of holes so that the false floor has less space to pass air then the duct work does. this will create pressure at every hole.

Keep in mind that even loading of a chamber like this is critical. you cannot have areas of tightly packed tobacco and then areas of loosely packed tobacco. again if the air has an easier path,most of the air will take that path. The idea is to get the air to flow evenly throughout the mass of leaf.

I also have not added the thermostat but am looking at getting the one discussed earlier in regard to kilns. It is nice it is also nice and expensive. I am sure that if you took the time and effort you could set up a water heater thermostat to control the temperature. You are going to want to find and mark the temperatures needed though. For me those are 100, 130, and 160.

Feel free to tinker with this in any way you like. I am just sharing ideas. Like I said this design is just a larger version of an incubator I have built and operated before. So it is not a complete shot in the dark

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Daniel,
Nice design. I've been looking up the specs of double-layer and triple-layer clear polycarbonate sheet for flue-curing walls. The softening point is well above the boiling point of water, and the flash point is higher than that of wood. They use it in constructing greenhouse walls. It would allow you to actually see what's going on, while providing decent thermal insulation. It's not cheap, but would make an attractive contraption. Polycarbonate is resistant to just about everything, is strong, and will remain transparent for years. It blocks 100% of UV light.

http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;gs_greenhouse_polycarbonate.html

Just a thought.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Daniel,

Considering your location you might think about making one or two sides out of glass. My sun porch has a lot of used thermopane sliding door glass panels I salvaged from a burned out house. It gets darned hot during the summer and I control the temp by open/closing and shading them.With proper orientation the sun ought to supply much if not all of the heat during the day. You would cover or shade them at night to reduce heat loss.

John

Daniel

Banned
Bob, Actually I expect there to be a viewing window in it somewhere. One for the view and also I have found that a sheet of glass makes a great condensor for the humidity. It seems to start gathering water right at the 75% humidity level. At least here it does. It might make an easy moisture removal method. I know there are differences in plastic sheet but have never really gotten a grip on which ones are which. I have two sheets of 1 inch thick stuff that was being thrown out where I work. I priced it once but forget what it cost. something along the line of $60 a square foot or something like that. I had probably 8 square feet of it.

John, my kiln has a glass door. I have to keep it in the shade to prevent it from over heating. It might help reaching those higher temps though. Flue curing requires precise temperature control though so I am not sure exposure to the sun would not cause problems. a temperture controlled vent that open maybe. TI woudl be nice to not pay for all the power of this thing.

DrBob

Founding Member
Daniel
check air to air heat exchangers. They are commonly used in new homes for excess moisture removal in super tight structures. They do an amazing job in moisture removal without losing a lot of heat.
A good reference book for you to read would be modern heating and refrigeration which explains the basics of heating,cooling and moisture removal. There a lot of answers in that book and it may save you a lot of problems designing a flue curing system.
that book is modern refrigeration and air conditioning about $75.00 for the new edition

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John, my kiln has a glass door. I have to keep it in the shade to prevent it from over heating. It might help reaching those higher temps though. Flue curing requires precise temperature control though so I am not sure exposure to the sun would not cause problems. a temperture controlled vent that open maybe. TI woudl be nice to not pay for all the power of this thing.

Daniel,

Years ago I built a small (12 X 20) greenhouse for a client. It had both thermostatically controlled roof vents and slatted shades.

John

Rayshields

Daniel,
Very interesting stuff you are thinking about. I have an old metal grain bin with concrete floor that isn't being used. I am thinking of trying to flue cure in it with this thought in mind. Heat rises and water tends to run downhill...if I put a narrow metal panel vertically in the middle of each insulated side, and elevate the insulation even 1 inch above the concrete, the condensate will run down to the floor. The roof of the bin has a round opening maybe 24 inches diameter which could be propped partially open for the moisture to evaporate from the concrete...just trying to keep it simple.

Ray

BarG

Founding Member
Daniel,

Years ago I built a small (12 X 20) greenhouse for a client. It had both thermostatically controlled roof vents and slatted shades.

John

How many years ago John? Were we born yet? I just hit a ripe old young age of 55! I know your older Johnlee but I'm just checking to see how thick your skin is.;)

Last edited:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
How many years ago John? Were we born yet? I just hit a ripe old young age of 55! I know your older Johnlee but I'm just checking to see how thick your skin is.;)

​Why you young pup! My skin would do a rhinoceros proud. ;<)) It was about 25 years ago when I was just about your age. I got the job because nobody else could figure out how to get equipment over an intervening stream. The both vents and shades were "on/off" only and used motors with control arms and SPDT switches for end of travel. We got a little adjustment by setting the thermostats a bit differently. It was a really nice (and expensive) unit that was aluminum and glass. It was assembled at the factory and completely disassembled to be shipped to the site. The site work involved footings with hold down bolts precisely positioned to clamp the bottom rail. That done it was just a big erector set. The heat was baseboard hot water filled with antifreeze for winter shutdown. The whole thing pleased me and the clients were happy too. (In case you never thought about it a glass greenhouse is HEAVY !)

John

BarG

Founding Member
​Why you young pup! My skin would do a rhinoceros proud. ;<)) It was about 25 years ago when I was just about your age. I got the job because nobody else could figure out how to get equipment over an intervening stream. The both vents and shades were "on/off" only and used motors with control arms and SPDT switches for end of travel. We got a little adjustment by setting the thermostats a bit differently. It was a really nice (and expensive) unit that was aluminum and glass. It was assembled at the factory and completely disassembled to be shipped to the site. The site work involved footings with hold down bolts precisely positioned to clamp the bottom rail. That done it was just a big erector set. The heat was baseboard hot water filled with antifreeze for winter shutdown. The whole thing pleased me and the clients were happy too. (In case you never thought about it a glass greenhouse is HEAVY !)

John

Well,...Thats thicker than I reckoned, I like that you called me a young pup, it makes me feel young again. All my best JohnLee33, You do pretty good for a young man.:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Most of us read all the current posts. If you ask a question in one place, it will get an answer. Welcome to the forum, by the way. You can probably cure tobacco in your garage, so long as there are not other strong odors in there. It will need air flow, and you may need a cheap box fan to circulate things.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.