Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What to do with the tobacco waste/dust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBoy87

Hi all, it seems inevitable that at some point in a person's myo/ryo journey, there is unavoidably some tobacco that is going to turn into dust or fines that are rather unusable. I'm just wondering what other people do with these fines. do you just sprinkle small amounts into the machine with the tobacco that is properly shredded for cigarettes just to gradually use it up? throw it away? dust it on the lawn as a pesticide? I got to thinking I wonder if there is a way for someone at home to take all this dust and somehow make it into a reconstituted sheet to shred. while the amount of tobacco that ends up being somewhat unusable by itself is a small percentage of the overall tobacco, over time, fines in the bottom of the bag surely add up to quite a lot of tobacco and it would be nice to have a productive use for it. So I guess I'm just wondering what everyone does with the dust. Seems if there was a way to reconstitute it at home this would be something I'd like to know about. I'm looking forward to your opinions/experience on this subject. Thanks everyone, happy rollin!

rustycase

I have saved/set aside Far too much stems/dust/scrap with the intent of using it to make tea... to use as insecticide type spray to see if the stories I have heard have validity in my location.

Never got a round tuit.

Still got bags of the stuff! lol

Dust? from shredding and such ??
...a lot of what I burn is unwashed, so debris like dirt & spiderwebs and other stuff might be in the dust... I wouldn't use mine for snus !
:)
rc

BennyBoy87

Huh, hadnt thought of dip or snus, and yeah most of it is from tobacco I shredded myself, so I imagine enough of it is dirt, probably not wanting to chew on that I guess... I have read that tobacco is a natural pesticide, but I thought it would be cool if I could find a way to reconstitute it with some kind of binding agent. I've seen suggestions of using fruit pectin as a glue to wrap cigs with tobacco leaf as the paper. Just wonder if there is a way to apply that logic to making a sort of tobacco goop that could be spread thin to dry out and shred. Just fishing for people who may have done this successfully

Matty

When dust and fines are excessive when I shred I save it for pest control, most of it gets left in the blend and smoked. I used to have an indoor topiary of lakeview jasmine. One time ants started coming in to feast on it's secretions and I wasn't gonna let that happen so I just sprinkled a narrow border around on the floor where they were coming in (I live in an apt., my downstairs neighbor is kinda a dirty slob), well the ants wouldn't cross the border of tobacco dust, not even 1. I watched them once in awhile, they'd walk up to the dust, check it out a bit and then run away in terror. It doesn't work on plant scale insects, which was the undoing of my beloved lakeview jasmine, damn plant scale is near impossible to get rid of though.

BennyBoy87

Well im not actually growing any at the moment. Ive only recently switched to using whole leaf in general. While growing may be a future endeavor for me, right now im just trying to figure out the best way to reduce waste. That's cool that tobacco dust kept ants away. Maybe figuring out a way of using it as a pesticide would be worthwhile.

ChinaVoodoo

I boiled a pot of stems in my greenhouse for a couple hours to kill bugs. It didn't instantly kill bugs, but a week later there were none to be seen.

I have also implemented dust into cube cut tobacco for pipe. I don't think that helps you though. It was mixed with other tobacco, made relatively moist, then pressed into a brick, which I cut both ways. Once done, I sifted out the dust that hadn't been successfully incorporated.

Smokin Harley

any scrap I cut off goes into a thrift store found glass jar with a gasketed lid. It just accumulates until I get a chance to either chop it up finer and then it goes into a cigar leaf/ pipe blend. I'll mix it in with cavendish .OR I'll mix it in with some bigger leaf that I'll process for chew. Dust goes into the trash. Lots of dead bugs and whatnot in that .

CharlesWhitehead

Is this really working out with you,because I got same issue of bugs. And I really want to rid of these. Please help me. Suggestions are welcome here.

Smokin Harley

for the most part ,yes. When I harvested the leaf ,of course it was green and some critters are too so the leaf needs to be inspected for hitch-hikers (horn worms especially)when the leaf goes into yellow and brown stage they get inspected again .I actually checked the curing barn twice a day every day until it went brown,it is easier to see them and they get brushed off or leave on their own. When they go to the kiln ,again I inspected and once again when sorting before bagging. So, tobacco is a high maintenance leaf , many inspections . At least I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.