Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This is clearly BS. Someone please debunk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I read this article a long time ago. At the time there was only mention of tobacco, no cocaine so maybe this has been updated to sensationalize it. At the time I read it the prevailing theory was that the nicotine came from the hundreds of thousands of tourists that smoked like chimneys back then. Not saying there isn't a super secret underground high speed tunnel between South America and Egypt ( made by the visiting aliens... :rolleyes:) but if you want to debunk this ( or prove it is authentic) then you need to find the journal in which this person published her results. I suspect it was never published in a peer reviewed journal to begin with.

I'm all for keeping an open mind when it comes to science but it does seem odd that there was no continued use of nicotine throughout the Egyptian Empire. No mention of trade routes etc.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I believe there's a lot about our history we don't know about.
Ancient astronaut theorists believe long time ago.earth was more advanced than it is now..
Until for some reason the planet was sent back to the dark ages.

We just think we have all the answers.

webmost

Heard a story to the same effect on the Science channel.
Just cause something is clearly BS doesn't make it untrue.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
And also..a native American Indian tribe has documented..Egyptians being in North America way before the white man showed up..apparently it had something to do with 2 brothers that were having a dual over the throne..to the point that one was going to kill the other one..so one of them fled with a large entarauge to the Americas..

Seen that on a show called.I think it's called "" ancient astronauts""...it has the guy on it with the funny hair that's always sticking straight up..

And then you got to ask yourself.::: is the asteroid belt the remnants of a destroyed planet.???and why is there pyramids on Mars..and just what is on the dark side of the Moon? And why haven't we went back to the moon ? We're we told not to ?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
IMG_20160309_153808.jpg Egyptians were intergalactic explorers before early Europeans stole their technology and wiped their memories!!

Hah, I just wanted to use that pic.

Sigmund

The find was real enough, carried out by legitimate researchers and properly presented to the archaeological community for consideration. The first analysis did include what *appeared to be* evidence of cocaine as well as nicotine (they also mentioned evidence of cannabis, but that is hardly remarkable for the Old World at the time); a follow-up study found only the nicotine. Obviously there are some serious questions...starting with the possibility of modern contamination. It is also possible that the testing method could have identified similar, but not identical, compounds as "nicotine" and "cocaine". There are some issues with the concept of a detectable level of THC still present between the time of mummification and the time of testing, as well, which casts a certain doubt on the accuracy of the test and/or the methods of interpretation. However, the same testing and interpretive methods have not been challenged in regards to their demonstration of, say, arsenic in Napoleon's body, or laudanum in Keats'.
There are a couple of nicotine-
containing plants which are native to the Old World, including, of all things, celery (I believe all of the nightshade family, some members of which were used in Egypt, also contain a degree of nicotine). So nicotine present, even if the testing was 100% accurate, does not necessarily imply tobacco. Fake mummies, made from 19th-century corpses, were also not exactly uncommon and would tidily explain both nicotine and cocaine - though it seems unlikely that all nine of the tested mummies were fakes.

The main problem with many of the discussions on this topic is that their primary point is, "the researcher could not have found what she appears to have found, because we do not believe there was contact between the Old World and the New World at this time". A number of good careers in archaeology have been destroyed by the doctrine of, "this find cannot possibly prove what it seems to prove because we don't believe it is possible" - "Clovis First", for a long time an absolute doctrine that no one who wanted to continue working in the field would dare to challenge, has recently been rather thoroughly disproven.

A good follow-up summary of the investigation, the testing methods, the problems raised by various critics, etc., can be found here: http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/ethnic/mummy.htm

I think this is a bit of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs" here...which may not be a valid scientific approach, as "extraordinary claim" is, ultimately, an OPINION based on....er, based on the opinion of the community and the individual researcher, often enforced by withdrawal or denial of things like jobs and funding if the proposition does not fit the current doctrine.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The 2014 article referenced below is off-topic, but its Introduction section clarifies the wide, quite early (pre-Columbian) dispersal of the genus Nicotiana. While Nicotiana tabacum, N. rustica and most other Nicotiana species remained confined to North and South America (and the Caribbean) until the initial European voyages, that is apparently not true of all species of the genus.

"The genus Nicotiana contains 86 recognized species [32], [33], [34], with approximately 75% occurring naturally in the Americas and 25% in Australia. It is likely that the genus evolved east of the Andes in southern South America and dispersed from there to south-western North America, Australia and Africa [35]. The only Nicotiana species indigenous to Africa is N. africana. This species is endemic to Namibia where it is known from three isolated populations confined to the Brandberg, Erongo and Spitzkoppe mountains in the north of the country. The plants occur in very arid karroid shrubland in a semi-desert/desert environment, and tend to grow in inaccessible, shady areas between granite boulders [36]. Nicotiana africana belongs to the section Suaveolentes; species in this section are largely endemic to arid regions of continental Australia, with four species occurring on Pacific islands [37]. The defenses of this species have never been examined and nothing is known about its herbivores or pollinators. Saitoh et al. [19] and Sisson and Severson [38] measured the constitutive alkaloid content of N. africana leaves and showed that this species accumulates nornicotine as its principal leaf alkaloid."

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0102661

You also raise the issue of confirmation bias. As you are aware, there is no reality in the term "scientific fact". There is only knowledgeable consensus, based on the preponderance of reproducible evidence. So "accepted science" is ever changing. All we ever get is a group-think best guess.

Bob

PeacePipe

Even with the new hairstyle, you can clearly see that it is a sad attempt to make this guy Einstein like while they continue to feed the masses this ancient alien agenda or entertainment as some see it..

On topic of the Ancient trade routes theorized I recall my Science teacher telling us in the early 90s about Copper being mined in the U.P. Of Michigan being the same that is in Egypt even though I have never seen evidence of such. Same thing with the cocaine, even though Cannabis leaves can be found in the hieroglyphs in Egypt it was generally kept hidden thanks to the advancement of refer madness.

As for the speculation that Egyptian and Native Americans are interconnected, I'd say it would be more likely that if there was any real connection between the two worlds that it would be with pyramid building people of the Americas.

A skeptic I am, but yet I know His-Story is usually half truths and written by no other than the victorious ones regardless of creed, color or anything else..

Beren

I suppose a problem with the trade route theory is that one would expect the tobacco to be dispersed in the communities along the trade route. A significant difference between the European trade routes with other continents, 1400 onwards, is that a single ship would sale from Europe to China, for example, and then sale back to Europe, again. European technology allowed for this to be done routinely. This eliminated dozens of "middlemen", who all would have marked the price up so as to gain profits.

Other trade trade routes had nodes spaced out along the route With each node representing an increase in price. The norm for traders would be moving goods from one node to the next without traveling more than a few hundred miles in either direction. With this in mind, had there been trade routes 1000 BC trading South American tobacco with Egyptians then one would expect a node based trade route with tobacco use along the entire route.

Plus, seeds would have likely migrated out along the route as people sought to increase profits.

It is speculation but reasonable speculation.

Beren

I did a cross reference its not bunk. Who knows how they got it. https://methoide.fcm.arizona.edu/infocenter/index.cfm?stid=168 tobacco came from the same regions. It has also been suggested that the Phoenicians visited South America and traded these routes. Egypt would have traded with them.

It has also been suggested that Atlantis was a giant continent in the middle of the Atlantic.

At the same time, I have seen articles where they found nicotine content in interned European corpses from the middle ages. I would suggest that this could have been introduced by post Columbus Europeans smoking in the crypts.

My reasoning, in the above posting of mine, it would follow that we should find tobacco products, and nicotine content, all over the Middle East if the Phoenicians were importing it. It is unlikely that they would only sell tobacco to the Egyptians.

burge

Well it could have been China or Russia but the point is those teste are 10000% proven

Status
Not open for further replies.