Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

HOW NECESSARY IS KILNING ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: HOW NECESSARY IS KILNING ???

You are correct. You can just allow it to age for a while: about 1 to 3 years. With a few varieties, the leaf may be smokable within several months after harvest, but this is highly dependent on your climate during the part of the year used for air-curing.

Bob

ECToboccoman

Re: HOW NECESSARY IS KILNING ???

I did recently try "sun kilning"(for lack of a better term) recently with a plant I used to get more seed and it seemed to smoke and taste fine . Basically I put my air cured leaves in a jar and left it covered in the sun to for a few days,no harshness or anything,seemed to work just fine

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Yes, just letting it age works great. If you get the moisture content just right, and store in moisture-proof bags, great improvement in smoke-ability for cigarettes in a couple years.
I've recently discovered that letting the leaf hang in the air-curing shed for a year or two works even better. There is something about letting it go in-and-out of case over the seasons that works wonders. My results have been that 2-year old shed-aged smokes are better than 4-5 year bag-aged, or fermented, for the same tobacco strain. Kudos to Mother Nature!
The biggest drawback is having the storage shed space available, and constant maintenance to avoid problems with insects, mold, etc.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I've noticed for some of my applications that less aged is better than more aged, as long as the vegetable quality is gone give it a shot. But that's usually 2 years being better than 8 for instance. A couple days in a jar left outside is nothing, but if it works for you, rock n roll.

DGBAMA

Kilning is not necessary. However, kilning 4-6 weeks seems to be equivalent to 1 year naturally aging. Depends how soon you need good smokable tobacco.

bonehead

hanging in a shed for one year will give you great smoking cigarette tobacco in the northeast. you can smoke some earlier but you will miss out on having great tobacco. it only takes a year to get ahead, then you have a constant supply on hand. i just wait for a damp night and open the shed doors and windows to bring it into case for shredding and grab some leaves then shut up the shed until next time tobacco is needed. now i have a garage and shed full.

Status
Not open for further replies.