Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Azucardo Oscuro II help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Buffalo

I recently blended the Azucardo Oscuro II. I saw the blend on WLT and seeing that I had the tobaccos, I just went with 1 of each for the filler of Dom seco, Flojo and Nic ligero. With Dom binder and Ec Mduro wrapper. The first half is really flavorful. The second turns to a lot of black pepper and turns bitter.
If 1 of each is not the blend can someone tell me the correct ratios? Also, if you have experience with this, what should be changed to keep the good flavors going and not have the major downturn of flavor?

charlie G.

I have only rolled with the flojo and Ec maduro. I wouldn't be much help. Maybe start with less ligero but same of everything else. 1 whole leaf of the flojo sounds alot to me. It's mostly trial and error. I wish I could help more. Good luck with it.

Matty

Haven't rolled this one but I've smoked all these varieties many times in many blends. Dom seco for burn, flojo for body and Nic ligero for power. If it were me, rolling something like a 50x7, I'd put more seco toward the foot letting the majority of the flojo and ligero end up in the head. Don't eliminate seco from the head, just tame it down a bit, might reduce the bitterness. I've tried the Dom binder from a kit I got awhile back and have messed around with the Ec maduro; what I learned was that the Dom binder started re-fermenting fairly easily and quickly due to hydrating for rolling, took a few weeks of drying down, airing out and resting to get the ferment byproducts to leave, more of a time thing than messing with the leaf/cigars thing. The Ec maduro as prepared for wrapper (high case) needs time to calm down as well. Some of these leaves like to ferment really easily and need to be rested if they do. So, the sticks you rolled are probably pretty good, they just need some time in a humidor to breathe a bit.

The worst I'd seen was in a trial blend that had mata fina in the filler and Ec maduro wrapper. Way too bitter to smoke after rolling, if I had to chose, a mouthful of cocoa powder would have been better lol. But, after 3-4 months of rest in a humidor they were absolutely splendid, everything worked together as if in a symphony.
A bit of a rant but I hope it helps or at least inspires a bit.

(Of course I could be wrong)

CobGuy

Dom seco for burn, flojo for body and Nic ligero for power.

Thought it was Seco for aroma and flavor, Viso for burn? Could certainly be wrong, though.

the Dom binder started re-fermenting fairly easily and quickly due to hydrating for rolling, took a few weeks of drying down, airing out and resting to get the ferment byproducts to leave

I found the same thing to be true and backed way off the binder moisture ... just to where it wouldn't crack / tear while rolling.

That kit was my first one from WLT as well and I used 1 Seco, 1 Viso, 1/2 binder leaf, 1/2 Ligero. Overall, however, I never got the flavor I wanted from that kit. This last time I ordered the Terroso Profundo kit and it is WAY better to my tastes.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I don't remember the quantities off the top of my head, but will post them later after I get to the office.

Thought it was Seco for aroma and flavor, Viso for burn? Could certainly be wrong, though.

Sometimes too many people listen to too many experts ;). You can roll a 100% Seco cigar and it will burn and smoke just fine. You can do this with a pure Viso also. You might have a little trouble getting a 100% Ligero cigar to stay lit, but it will also smoke fine with a few relights.

moscca

Well you are wrong ! It is the opposite !!
never mind, just try it out !!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
LOL ... got that from a video on this site ...

It's hard to explain. Tobacco is a plant. When it's dry, it will burn. If you put two kinds of tobacco together, it will taste different from one kind of tobacco. If you put THREE kinds of tobacco together...look out, prepare to have your mind blown.

Gavroche

Did you flush out the tanks when you felt(smelt) the bitterness? The bitterness can arrive with any cigar especially if he(it) is young, in this case, I flush out the tanks by blowing inside in front of a flame, when the flame goes out, the cigar is OK...

Tfrankz

Make sure it's not too tight and let it dry out. Nuke a fresh cigar for a couple seconds it helps to dry it out.

Smokin Buffalo

Did you flush out the tanks when you felt(smelt) the bitterness? The bitterness can arrive with any cigar especially if he(it) is young, in this case, I flush out the tanks by blowing inside in front of a flame, when the flame goes out, the cigar is OK...

The cigar was about a month and a half old. Still young, I know. I've heard of instead of drawing in, blowing out to clear out bitter taste. Are you saying just blow across the foot (burning side of cigar)?

Smokin Harley

I recently blended the Azucardo Oscuro II. I saw the blend on WLT and seeing that I had the tobaccos, I just went with 1 of each for the filler of Dom seco, Flojo and Nic ligero. With Dom binder and Ec Mduro wrapper. The first half is really flavorful. The second turns to a lot of black pepper and turns bitter.
If 1 of each is not the blend can someone tell me the correct ratios? Also, if you have experience with this, what should be changed to keep the good flavors going and not have the major downturn of flavor?

I'm not familiar with the blend but I found that when rolling your own and getting the actual smoke flavor to be consistent without the falling off or change mid smoke , when you bunch entubado, the portion you tear off and re-position back into the bunch , the part which is for flavor and burnability should return to the main foot end , the rest will not burn anyway as it will be in your mouth and act as the natural filter or at least continue the airway so that part gets reshuffled into the head end to add bulk so while you handle it ,it will not collapse and restrict the draw.
What is the actual leaf blend you have to choose from and work with?

Status
Not open for further replies.