Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Grow Bags vs Buckets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAlbertaner

If this has been discussed already I apologize-

I'm looking at a few different options for my plants this year, and I've settled on containers. Does anyone have experience with grow bags? I've seen some that are fabric and others that are plastic, how are they compared to 5 gallon pails?

EDIT: I hope this is the right place to post this in

Last edited:

ChinaVoodoo

I started seeds really early last year, and necessarily had to move my plants up to 1 gallon nursery pots for some time before planting them in the ground outside. I was a few pots short so I took thick black plastic bags that xray film comes in, and punctured multiple holes in for drainage. The roots in the nursery pots were much more extensive.

If I were going to grow outdoors in pots for years to come, I would look into buying 5gal nursery pots. I think there's something about the black colour, and shape which makes them superior to buckets. Likewise, I think being rigid, there is an advantage over bags. The only reason I can see for bags is that in the off season, and for shipping purposes, they stack flat.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Pots-Planters-Nursery-Pots/N-5yc1vZbx77

DerAlbertaner

I would call around before mail ordering. I got 200 1gal nursery pots from Apache Seeds on Stony Plain Rd for $80 if my memory serves me correctly.
Good idea, will have to try a few local places

Watch out, about is the size of the jar, a potted plant will always be smaller than a plant in full earth(ground).
Yeah wish I could have put them directly in the ground but I couldn't get dirt brought in this year, hopefully next time

ChinaVoodoo

On fb, I saw a woman's tobacco plants in 5gal pails. They were 8 feet tall, but a little sparse of leaf. I think better drainage from a nursery pot, the wider diameter, plus the black colour absorbing more heat would have improved her yield.

The way I figure, if a 8' cherry tree can live in one, so can a tobacco plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.