Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lonnie's Havana has a pulse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shundahai

This past fall, Fair Trade forum member Rustycase sent me a nice little packet of seed. Bursa, Burley 21, and a sad looking little packet of what was left of some old "Lonnie's Havana" seed that he had put away. It was mostly dust and crumbs, but on closer inspection there were indeed some decent looking seeds rolling around in there. I planted them a week ago, and the bursa and burley germinated abundantly. I was able to plant 16 units of LH with the seed available, and this morning I see signs of life in 12 of the 16 little pots! It is my plan to select and bag at least a couple of the LH plants for seed and make the seed available for those who want it.

Thanks Rusty for your generosity!

rustycase

Oh, nothing to me, Lonnie was a great fellow. I'm sure he'd be pleased his seed is still producing. rc

DGBAMA

Lonnie's yielded some nice leaf for me a couple years ago. Mild to medium and veins small enough to make nice wrapper leaves.

Shundahai

Sorry I have not updated....

I had a very weird growing season this year. Out of 12 starts I was only able to grow 2 Lonnie's to maturity, and only 3 Burley 21's. The spring was wet and cool, and plants just lagged and most gave up the ghost. However, I did bag the two LH plants and got a fairly decent crop of seed from them. I will give it another go this spring, hopefully I will have better results. The Bursa went gangbusters and I managed to put up 3-4 lbs of nice leaf. I stalk cured it, and it's a light golden color. Just rolled some up this morning and it makes a really nice ciggy :D

Shundahai

That's good news for Lonnie's Havana fans.

Bob

Once it became clear that I wasn't going to have any leaf crop to speak of, I focused on getting these things to flower and bearing seed. Like I said, it was a very strange year, and I didn't even harvest the seed pods until November.

Smokin Harley

I had a very weird growing season this year. Out of 12 starts I was only able to grow 2 Lonnie's to maturity, and only 3 Burley 21's. The spring was wet and cool, and plants just lagged and most gave up the ghost. However, I did bag the two LH plants and got a fairly decent crop of seed from them. I will give it another go this spring, hopefully I will have better results. The Bursa went gangbusters and I managed to put up 3-4 lbs of nice leaf. I stalk cured it, and it's a light golden color. Just rolled some up this morning and it makes a really nice ciggy :D

If its a Havana and you have enough seed to go around, I'd like to have 1/2 a pinch. Can I send you any seed in return?

Charly

Hello Shundahai,
I would be very happy to try "Lonnie's Havana" if you have enough seeds :)

I've read in the post "http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5126-Lonnie-s-Havana" that people was thinking that it might be the same as "Havana 142", does anybody tried to compare the two side by side ?
If nobody does I might try to do so (I'll have to add "Havana 142" seeds in my next order from northwoodseeds.com)

Have a good day,
Charles.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

Burley 21 is also interesting to see, sorry that I ain't have space left for that variant on my Growing-list. Have not growing"it" but would really like to do it some time..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If not Havana 142 it's almost certainly one of the Havana numbers.

The numbered Havana types always confused me though, like they crossed the cigar out a little too much with a burley. Now not quite belonging in either camp. Don't get me wrong though, it's tobacco and I like it.

Smokin Harley

Hello Shundahai,
I would be very happy to try "Lonnie's Havana" if you have enough seeds :)

I've read in the post "http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5126-Lonnie-s-Havana" that people was thinking that it might be the same as "Havana 142", does anybody tried to compare the two side by side ?
If nobody does I might try to do so (I'll have to add "Havana 142" seeds in my next order from northwoodseeds.com)

Have a good day,
Charles.

Charly , where do you live? I grew Havana 142 for 2016...I have seed.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Lonnie's Havana

Lonnie sent me some of his Havana seeds back in 2010 . He was having problems with it just falling over when the plants reached waist high . I brushed it off as weather , soil related .
In 2001 I grew Havana from Lonnie's seeds and sure enough it did fall / lean over .
I sold a lot of that Havana that I grew as cigar filler and cigarette tobacco . Seemed like word got out and a lot of people like it for mixing in cigarettes and they wanted seeds from that strain .
That is when I named them after Lonnie as the original seeds came from him , Lonnie's Havana . He thought they were from Havana 142 . They are not 142 but maybe a slight cross ??
Lonnie had some family issues with his fathers health and was on his mined heavily . He quietly left tobacco forums . He is a great guy and sent me some Chew he made with mullein . It was some of the best I have tried so far.

Here is a picture of Lonnie's Havana . It had some target spot issues because of weather and my commercial burley .
JfZ7w.jpg

ArizonaDave

I grew some Lonnie's havana, and like it too. I believe I got the seeds from either DGBAMA or one of the other forum members back in 2014. I personally grow Little Dutch and a couple other types, and no where near the volume you produce.

Charly

Charly , where do you live? I grew Havana 142 for 2016...I have seed.

I live in France :)
-mp follows-

With all the tobacco varieties I plan on trying in 2017, I will end up with only 1 plant for each variety ! :D :D :D
So many interesting strains.... :) I will become crazzzzzzy.

greenmonster714

This Lonnie guy sounds like a great guy. I wish I could have met him while he was still here. Keeping his memory alive via tobacco is cool. Maybe someday he will return.

Status
Not open for further replies.