Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

camomile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello

Who uses the infusion of camomile to avoid the damping-off?

Qui emploie l'infusion de camomille pour éviter la fonte des semis ?

Gavroche

http://www.jardinage.net/pro/html/paf2-techobloc.html

Use flowers of camomile against the damping-off

The German camomile (Matricaria recutita) can be used against the damping-off, a disease which causes the decay of the young seedlings and that of the seeds even before they germinate.

We can handle in particular the seeds of the cultures which we wish to sow(scatter) (inside or outside), by putting them on a linen piece of cloth that we ficèle, then that we soak during 15 minutes into an infusion of flowers of camomile. We remove then seeds, we air them then we sow(scatter) them.

We can also cultivate home of the camomile then collect(harvest) flowers to air them and keep(preserve) them during more than year in the freezer. In this way, we have a reserve of flowers of camomile which we can use

http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab360-07.htm

Tea in the camomile to Put 50 g of flowers dried in some boiling water and let infuse during 24 hours. The camomile can be used in prevention but also after the appearance of the first symptoms to stop the development of the disease. Very often, it is not worth saving plants which will be weakened.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Soaking seed in chamomile tea (or misting young seedlings with it) to prevent damping off is cited in numerous home gardening remedies. The operative phrase: "is said to have anti-fungal properties." A brief search of Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com) doesn't turn up anything in the way of experimental verification. So...maybe. Maybe not.

Bob

Matty

One of my other hobbies is aromatherapy. There exists German chamomile and Roman chamomile, both have different uses. Therapeutically one will bring on sleep while the other will prevent it. As far as prevention of damping off in seedlings and it's anti-fungal action I have no idea. I do know however that there are many essential oils (oils that come from plants and stuff) that are reported to have anti-fungal activity. But, just because something says anti-fungal, that doesn't mean "all" fungii. Interesting concept, though I've never heard of it till now.

ArizonaDave

One of my other hobbies is aromatherapy. There exists German chamomile and Roman chamomile, both have different uses. Therapeutically one will bring on sleep while the other will prevent it. As far as prevention of damping off in seedlings and it's anti-fungal action I have no idea. I do know however that there are many essential oils (oils that come from plants and stuff) that are reported to have anti-fungal activity. But, just because something says anti-fungal, that doesn't mean "all" fungii. Interesting concept, though I've never heard of it till now.

Anything you decide to share on essential oils and their functions, I love to read up on. I know they have even been used successfully by cigar companies, but personally I've only found a few that work so far. I even had a strange case where I sprayed some leaves enclosed in a bag, forgot about it, and came back to it, and it was fantastic.

Matty

I've tried essential oil dilutions as flavoring and top notes on tobacco but never found anything I liked. It can be very dangerous too, with the wrong oil, some are extremely toxic in any use and probably shouldn't be sold to the public. However, I might try applying Patchouli in the garden this year as it repels insects.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Interesting things perhaps I will grow it some time but I also known that we Here in Sweden have "Tripleurospermum perforatum" looking pretty much like camomile, but ain't the same, this thing I hope you ain't growing because it will take over the most of thing you growing, Just saying.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Anything you decide to share on essential oils and their functions, I love to read up on. I know they have even been used successfully by cigar companies, but personally I've only found a few that work so far. I even had a strange case where I sprayed some leaves enclosed in a bag, forgot about it, and came back to it, and it was fantastic.

that seems to be the thread that connects most successful tobacco experiments.... slight moisture, sealed+time.

Planter

On the matter of essential oils and tobacco flavouring, I've summarized some of my findings here:

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6554-Lakeland?p=121941&viewfull=1#post121941

For cigars, anise oil or star anise oil work well, also a combination of it with orange oil. Small amounts of anise have a very sweetening effect and underline the cigar aroma. Again, like for all uses of essential oils, less is more. Try 0.1 percent of tobacco weight dissolved in rum to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.