Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Hello all,

I like snus, cigars (I do not roll my own) and fishing. This year I will be planting tobacco for the first time and hope to learn a lot from all you growers on the forum.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome Matt, you have found an excellent site for that thing. What variants are you growing?

Matt

I only have one variety going. Small Stalk Black Mammoth, about 40 plants. I bought in total five varieties (picked them randomly without researching) but it is probably too late to get the others going now (Aztec, Hyang Cho, TN 90 and White Mammoth)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
You can still start them, but please let em be until next year, it's better to "not put water over the head" and trying to go safe.

Matt

Thanks for the welcome all.

You can still start them, but please let em be until next year, it's better to "not put water over the head" and trying to go safe.

When would be too late to start them? I really would like to grow all to see which variety does best in my soil/climate, to save seeds and see which variety makes tasty snus.

Matt

Aztec (N. Rustica) and hyang cho should bloom 40 to 45 days after transplant... Maybe for those two it's not too late!
Pier

Thanks Pier! I will probably get a few seedlings going for those two and save the rest for next year.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Thanks for the welcome all.

When would be too late to start them? I really would like to grow all to see which variety does best in my soil/climate, to save seeds and see which variety makes tasty snus.
Where in Sweden do you live? If this year goes like the last year I could start white mammoth to day and still have a chance (and I ain't having the best location).

squeezyjohn

Hi Matt - welcome to this place ... you should definitely check out the grow blogs by POGreen (who sadly is not growing at the moment) who grew some fantastic tobacco in Halmstad and made his own snus from it. He has some very detailed stuff in his blog plus plenty of YouTube videos.

I also make snus from the tobacco I grow here in the UK with a similar climate and I am really enjoying the taste of snus made from Bolivian Criollo Black which makes very large plants and makes a leaf which cures quickly, meaning that it can avoid going mouldy during the cure which is a real risk in our more northern climates.

Matt

Where in Sweden do you live? If this year goes like the last year I could start white mammoth to day and still have a chance (and I ain't having the best location).

I am 60 km north east of Stockholm. Good micro climate though, warm soils, property protected from northern winds, growing on a south facing hillslope. I might give all varieties a shot and hope for the best. Gonna be a busy summer.

Matt

Hi Matt - welcome to this place ... you should definitely check out the grow blogs by POGreen (who sadly is not growing at the moment) who grew some fantastic tobacco in Halmstad and made his own snus from it. He has some very detailed stuff in his blog plus plenty of YouTube videos.

I also make snus from the tobacco I grow here in the UK with a similar climate and I am really enjoying the taste of snus made from Bolivian Criollo Black which makes very large plants and makes a leaf which cures quickly, meaning that it can avoid going mouldy during the cure which is a real risk in our more northern climates.

Thank you John. I am going to check out POGreens grow blog and YouTube.

I will have to get my hands on some Bolivian Criollo Black for next season. I have a horticultural background so growing stuff is not my biggest concern... curing and storage however is already causing me a headache. I have a lot to learn.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I am 60 km north east of Stockholm. Good micro climate though, warm soils, property protected from northern winds, growing on a south facing hillslope. I might give all varieties a shot and hope for the best. Gonna be a busy summer.
Ok if you only look one "growing harness in Sweden" you might have a much better location than me (you are located in a growing zone 2-3, I have 4-5). That ain't tell the truth of every thing but tell a little thing and I can tell you that you still have a god chance to grow them. One mistake that is easy to make is to take them out to early let them be 1-1,5 dm before.
When I start seed I do it in a glasses of water (until they grow) I saw some times already that way.

Matt

Be brave Matt! Last year i transplanted in mid june, but had a decent crop anyway...

You all have me convinced. Lets hope for a good summer. Going to plant more seeds first thing in the morning.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have some I can send you. I like em much. But please those ain't not a good idea to grow this year. Need more time than your other..

Matt

Ok if you only look one "growing harness in Sweden" you might have a much better location than me (you are located in a growing zone 2-3, I have 4-5). That ain't tell the truth of every thing but tell a little thing and I can tell you that you still have a god chance to grow them. One mistake that is easy to make is to take them out to early let them be 1-1,5 dm before.
When I start seed I do it in a glasses of water (until they grow) I saw some times already that way.

I am "officially" in zone 4-5 like you but the microclimate is more like 2 for sure (Swedish zones for those wondering/confused).

When do you usually plant them outside? I was hoping for end of May.

I got my seeds started in a well drained soil/compost mix I made. The black mammoth sprouted in two days and I will not have to deal with transplanting seedlings to pots... for a while at least.

Matt

I have some I can send you. I like em much. But please those ain't not a good idea to grow this year. Need more time than your other..

I replied to your PM. I owe You some seeds now. Thank you very much Hasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.