Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sugar crystal precipitate. I'm skeptical.

So in this Facebook group, brotherhood of briar or something, this guy posted a photo of some esoterica black pool all crusty with sugar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-04-11-09-27-43.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	17881

Being a bit of a snob, I said I didn't understand what was so exciting about precipitated additives.

I've since been told it's like bloom and only happens with high quality tobacco.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160411_093555.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	17882

I call bullshit, but knowing that I don't know everything about tobacco, I humbly ask my betters, (you guys) if I am in fact correct.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Re: Sugar crystal precipitate. I'm skeptical.

Actually it has nothing to do with so called high quality tobacco. Its just the extra added sugar coming out. I've noticed most pipe smokers of commercial pipe tobacco seem to think they all smoke "high quality" pipe tobacco. I've never bothered to mention to them that what they smoke is low quality masked by sauces and toppings.

I have NEVER had sugar crystal precipitate out of any tobacco I've grown and I truly grow high quality stuff.

1 members have Nominated this post.

"Bloom" is a word used by tobacco product vendors that puts a happy face on groaty tobacco that they still have to sell. I have seen over-humidified, moldy cigars at a tobacconist shop described as having "just a bit of bloom." Cedar-aged cigars sometimes develop "true" bloom, which I believe results from the crystallization of salts formed from the terpenes emitted by the cedar. [I'm not positive about that.]

It is true that sometimes a fine layer of salts may form on the surface of un-doctored tobacco leaf, but as with JBD's observation, I have never seen true mineral bloom on any of my own tobacco. [I have seen a subtle coating of mold, in a few unfortunate instances.] Stored Perique frequently develops "bloom," which I have concluded is yeast growth that does not seem to impact the taste, aroma or smoking quality. I suspect that yeast participate in the pressure-curing ordeal.

Bob

Then, we can find what is called " flower of cape " on Havana of Cuba in chives, it is often cigars which spent time in the moistened shop window(showcase) we brush the cigar and we smoke him(it), no tasteful change, as it is old he(it) is more melted.

I put for my part cooking in a frying pan of the sheets of semois ripped with some honey of sweet chestnut tree, the sugar of the honey stood out not long after, but is it some sugar which I see or some mold? There is not a smell of damp, just that some tobacco but I ask myself questions ...