Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Should I start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Buffalo

I planted my tobacco leaves a few weeks ago. I planted Little Dutch, Vuelta Abajo, Cuban Criollo, and Florida Sumatra. I may have been too excited for my first grow and planted too early. I live near Buffalo NY. It will be at least Memorial Day before I can put them outside. They are current about 1-2" high with 6 leaves.
Should I scrap these and start over? I don't have the room in my house to have 2-3' high plants. How high will these guys get in another 45 days? I think I read the FS matures at 55 days! I need some guidance on this one.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don't transplant to larger pots. Leave them in the cells and give them haircuts as they start crowding each other. I think you will be okay. The cell size should limit plant size until planted in the patch. Then they will take off when they have some room. Days to Maturity figures are from the day you plant them in the patch until 50% of the plants have at least one open flower.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I live in Vermont, ive had plants in a window over winter then plant them outside.

I'm with Knucks on this, maybe do a second tray to hedge the bet but you should be fine.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Yep..leave them in the tray..I left some that didn't make it to the garden in styrofoam cups all year..and they continued to grow.

ChinaVoodoo

Last year I started seed Feb 14. End of April I had to transfer them to 1gal pots and put them in a greenhouse. 3-4 weeks later, after a 3.5week vacation, they went in the ground. Some of them were 3feet tall and several varieties were starting to flower. I don't know if I would have gotten more tobacco if I had started later, but it was a lot more work, due to regular flower and sucker removal, early in the season.

Smokin Buffalo

thanks for the info guys. i guess i'll move each plant into their own pod, which would give me double the plants. That way I will hedge my bets for enough making it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At this stage, there should be only a single plant per tray cell. I agree with Knucks. Don't transplant to larger pots, and just clip off 1/2-2/3 of each leaf (not the growth tip of the stalk), whenever they get large enough to significantly shade one another. You may have to clip them several times prior to transplanting to the field. [All those snipped-up leaves will just become bottom trash on the fully grown plant, and can even be removed at transplant time, to allow deeper planting.]

I have kept seedlings small like this for as long as 3 years, then transplanted them to the garden. They result in healthy, normal plants, once in the ground.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I planted my tobacco leaves a few weeks ago. I planted Little Dutch, Vuelta Abajo, Cuban Criollo, and Florida Sumatra. I may have been too excited for my first grow and planted too early. I live near Buffalo NY. It will be at least Memorial Day before I can put them outside. They are current about 1-2" high with 6 leaves.
Should I scrap these and start over? I don't have the room in my house to have 2-3' high plants. How high will these guys get in another 45 days? I think I read the FS matures at 55 days! I need some guidance on this one.

View attachment 17885

Great selection of varieties. I grew those exact 4 and 8 others last year and they did awesome here 40 miles south of Chicago . Those plants will be fine. Let them get bigger and when the lower leaves get about the size of a silver dollar ,give them a haircut with scissors...JUST the lower leaves. Keep the light source (tube fluorescents?)right on top of them with heated bottoms . I haven't planted (sown) mine yet .I'm waiting another week at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.