Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco tastes awfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

I went back and tried tobacco that I grew I 2014 , left unkilned for 1 year, kilned last year and left to age again until now. I just tried it and it's just terrible, tried 2015 leaf that I kilned at the same time as 2014 leaf and it's just as bad. It was never good to start off with but figured some aging would improve it, rather disappointed. Not sure if it's salvageable with a re-kiln. Would the problem be with the leaf itself, or my curing process ? I thought that the 2014 leaf after 1 year of self curing would be decent but it wasn't and I kilned in 2015 still bad now.

Any suggestions thoughts on this ?

bonehead

what type of tobacco is it that is bad? the only bad tobacco i ever grew didn't cure good at the end of the season.

buck

Sorry I guess I should include more information. It's cigar tobacco Swarr, Jalapa, Pa Red, Scantic and Olor grown in 2014/2015, it cured rather well nice brown, no mold, no green spots, smelled sweat and fruity etc... From pics I've seen from other folks here my leaf looks like it cured well. I have pics in my grow blog.

I stored 2014 batch in the garage in boxes and then in a closet at home (Ziploc bags) for 1 full year before kilning because I hadn't setup my kiln yet. I made sure not to let it completely dry out and not too wet for mold to grow, although there was some on a few leaves, threw those out. I tried it after that first year and it wasn't any good so I kilned it along with 2015 batch last Fall. I tried both 2014 and 2015 leaf and it is not smokable, doesn't taste anything like tobacco.

Kilning temp around 122F, humidity not sure of exact value but leaf was moist not wet or dry. I'll have to go through my grow blog to refresh my memory.

< edit> I rolled some cigars to try as well as pipe

Matty

What is the bad taste? Does it leave a heavy resinous flavour in the mouth? Taste like burnt rubber or something? Does it burn your lips? Does the leaf smell like dead grass or old rotting straw? A hint of what the awful taste is might help us.

buck

Lit one up last night, taste was better but not good. Tobacco smells like sweet lightly toasted bread and floral notes. Once lit I detected mostly burning paper, dry wood flavour, smoke was slightly harsh, felt it in back of the throat.
On the positive side I detected some hints of floral on the occasional draw. I believe this one tasted better because I let it dry longer , the last ones were maybe a bit too wet and needed more drying time.
Awful taste may be a bit of a strong word but not really enjoyable smoking this.

I'll roll a few more and let them dry properly and rest a few days before trying again.

ArizonaDave

Lit one up last night, taste was better but not good. Tobacco smells like sweet lightly toasted bread and floral notes. Once lit I detected mostly burning paper, dry wood flavour, smoke was slightly harsh, felt it in back of the throat.
On the positive side I detected some hints of floral on the occasional draw. I believe this one tasted better because I let it dry longer , the last ones were maybe a bit too wet and needed more drying time.
Awful taste may be a bit of a strong word but not really enjoyable smoking this.

I'll roll a few more and let them dry properly and rest a few days before trying again.

Is it possible your tobacco was stored too wet? I've noticed that if not stored dry, tobacco can get a "dirty sock" flavor that's awful.

buck

Yes possibly stored too wet. I remember taking it out of the kiln, letting it dry a bit and storing it. I figured it would age better with more moisture.

buck

I'm not giving hope quite yet so I let it dry and now most of it feels like brown paper bag, should be good for long term storage. I'll check up on it every 3-4 months see how it's progressing.
I have some %70 humidity beads that I was thinking of putting into some of the containers, I would think that %70 is good for rolled cigars and should be good for unrolled leaf ..

buck

I skipped the humidity beads and made sure the leaf was dry enough so that I don't have to worry about mold, but will check up on them. I put them in ziploc and other air tight containers and stored them in my garage for the summer into fall , after that I'll need to move them into the house as it gets really humid in the winter here. Strange though, even if my kilning process went astray I should still have produced some smoke-able leaf with my 2014 grow which has been kept in bags now for 2 years. I'll focus on this year's grow and cure in the fall see if I can figure out where things went wrong. More focus on the kilning process.

DGBAMA

Just a thought, you might try with a small quantity....

Put it out to dry, completely, in an open area with lots of ventilation.......remove and air out any possible "bad moisture". Put in kiln to rehydrate to medium case, and store to rest for a week before sampling.

If excess moisture during storage caused the funny taste, maybe this will help.

buck

I dried and then brought back to low case, stored for a week. Tried it last night and it tastes better, smokes better (Swarr (difficult to burn) ,Pa Red, Olor, Scantic) but still not that great, the Jalapa however was very sweet. The smell was very leathery and it was as if I put a spoon of sugar in my mouth at least for the first half then turned to hot spice with some sweetness. Jalapa I probably didn't kiln it properly but I'll wait a few months before trying again. In the mean time I'll focus on my current grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.