Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dave's rookie grow blog 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, would you think a high application of epsom salts hinders combustion ?
Gardeners are generally fond of using Epsom salts as a fertilizer supplement. Epsom salts, as you know, is a hydrated magnesium sulfate. I'm not aware of any effect on combustion. I can't say that I noticed any effect at all of using Epsom salts in my starter trays during one season, although some FTT members find that it helps. I suspect that the apparent effect of Epsom salts as a fertilizer is dependent on the nutrients already present in the soil vs. any deficiencies. When used in a foliar spray, its direct uptake seems to make (rose and vegetable) leaves greener. I don't know what an Epsom salts foliar spray would do for Nicotiana tabacum.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Ok, just wondering . I know you keep a pretty good set of notes about what you do to your tobacco and its subsequent effects .
I haven't given any epsoms yet to this crop . So far just superthrive and a weak miraclegrow cocktail. This combination seems to do well ,noticeable within an hour of application.
Having said that , my seedlings are doing very well ( sorry to steal post time on Rookie Daves grow post but we share the same tobacco varieties grow albeit in 2 seasons) with the Comstock Spanish being the front runner so far. At only 3 weeks the leaves are already an inch across and may need a haircut soon with Colombian Garcia running second followed by a close third by Criollo Ti1376. On the flip side of that, the Ct Shade is staying small (barely 1/4 inch leaf) and slow growing . both are occupying the same flat over heat mat / under lights. I'll try to post pics to my grow thread soon.

Dave R

Just make certain that the K is not from muriate of potash or any other chloride salt, since high chloride causes a marked reduction in tobacco leaf combustion.

Bob

Thanks, that's good to know. I plan on switching over to a liquid fish fertilizer and a granular chicken poop/feather meal fertilizer once the plants are in the ground. I also have access to free alfalfa meal fertilizer which I unserstand is more for flowering plants.

I'm also going to visit a few hydroponic stores to see what they stock. I figure since they cater to people growing plants to smoke, they may have what I need. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.