Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Just What Syrup Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orson Carte

'Syrup' appears to be a very common ingredient in casing recipes.
Here is one that I came across in YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21GfUlj56zo
To simply and save looking, it consists of 1 cup of water, with basically single tablespoons of brown sugar,honey,glycerine, cocoa and SYRUP (boiled, then misted on shredded tobacco).
My question is, just what type of syrup might this be? I believe that there would be many.
Furthermore, has anyone here ever used this recipe? I'd be greatly interested to hear your opinion.
Thanks.

DGBAMA

I will go out on a limb (guess) that "syrup" is not an ingredient, but rather what you make by combining the ingredients.

waikikigun

Gonna say it's maple. When we in North America just generically say "syrup" we mean maple. "Hon, pass me the syrup; my pancakes is gettin' dry."

Especially when naming all these other ingredients, and then just saying, "Syrup." It's maple.

Orson Carte

I figured it was maple syrup. I asked my question because, ostensibly, a syrup can be any concoction that is viscous and contains a sugar. (At least, in the absence of further enlightenment, that is what I believe).
Anyway, I went to the supermarket this afternoon and bought some genuine Canadian maple syrup - do you guys realise just how much this costs 10 000 miles from the tree?
I mixed up the concoction and sprayed it copiously on ten year-old shredded Virginia leaf (which is another story) and although it's still at around 35% moisture, I managed to roll and smoke a sample. And, I have to say, it's got promising potential.
I'm smoking this ten year old leaf because it was a gift given to me to tide me over until my first crop (now four weeks in the fermenter) comes on stream. And, it appears that I just might be on to a winner.

ChinaVoodoo

I think it's corn syrup. If it was maple, you'd call it maple syrup. Calling maple syrup "syrup" would be like calling a Corvette a "Chevy".

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I think it's corn syrup. If it was maple, you'd call it maple syrup. Calling maple syrup "syrup" would be like calling a Corvette a "Chevy".

+1

Especially since that product fetches a high premium sold in bottles, but it would be a very expensive choice as a sweetener on manufactured tobacco. A tobacconist told me once (and i'm not sure if it's true) that the cheap drugstore packets of flavored tobacco (like Paladin Cherry and so on) are basically just expired Prince Albert and Captain Black that get sent back to the manufacturer, blasted with a fruit-flavored sugar syrup and a dose of humectants and then re-packaged. It's gotta be something really cheap.

MarcL

from the video comments;

"
photo.jpg
drupavel3 years ago
You said 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of syrup. What syrup is that?

photo.jpg
Nicholas RedWolfe3 years ago
Pancake Syrup.

photo.jpg
drupavel3 years ago
sorry to bother again, I'm not familiar with pancake syrup. I live in Europe. What's its flavor ? can it be replaced it with other kind of syrup ? Thank you very much, very informative video 

photo.jpg
Nicholas RedWolfe3 years ago
Maple Syrup can be easily substituted. Or if you cannot get that kind, substitute more honey."

Orson Carte

Oops. I feel just a little foolish after that revelation.
I didn't realise until now that there was a second page of YouTube comments.
I've purchased and used genuine maple syrup in the casing concoction. It is relatively expensive but the small bottle will go a long way. It's beautiful stuff and a great pity that it's never cold enough here to produce it - otherwise I think I'd try.
Thanks.

bryonlr

I think Voodoo is correct it is corn syrup. I would think a maple syrup would overpower the tobacco flavor. I have tried the casings that Don sells and they are excellent. They do not alter the natural flavor of the tobacco, but enhance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.