Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Honduran Habano Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

I'm just now diving into my first cigar leaf shipment from WLT. I have both the Honduras filler and wrapper, so I decided to roll some puros (with Sumatra binder). At first brush, the Honduras wrapper seems a bit challenging to get snug. The veins are a bit large, and it doesn't seem to have as much elasticity as my homegrown Corojo 99. Any tips for working with it?

mwaller

Here are the sticks I made with the Honduras Havana filler and wrapper. Lighting was terrible, sorry.
IMG_20171130_080042778.jpg

MarcL

chl4QkE.jpg

mwaller

I am actually very impressed with this leaf (and my own rolling efforts!). Draw is perfect, and the flavor is at least as good as any average stick I grab out of my humidor...IMG_20171130_223712066.jpg

MarcL

I'm just now diving into my first cigar leaf shipment from WLT. I have both the Honduras filler and wrapper, so I decided to roll some puros (with Sumatra binder). At first brush, the Honduras wrapper seems a bit challenging to get snug. The veins are a bit large, and it doesn't seem to have as much elasticity as my homegrown Corojo 99. Any tips for working with it?

The thicker the leaf the more it will stretch. It is necessary that the leaf gets the time it takes to fully absorb the moister deep into it. I will lightly spray directly on the leaf and shake off the access to get it started but, most of it's absorption will come from the spraying the sides of the tubs I use to do it. Pinching/pulling out the crinkles, flattening throughout the time, de-stemming is saved till the time of assembly. Even the filler. I want flat leaf to start with so I can form it myself. Meaning, crinkled bits in the leaf can have burn problems. This all does not have to do with prepping the moister for assembly of low/medium/high.

mwaller

Thanks, MarcL! I made another pair of sticks with the same wrapper, but I let it hydrate overnight. I had much better results - nice tight seams. Like everything, it just takes getting used to!
I know what you mean about prepping the filler. I do my best to flatten it out before rolling the 'tubes.'
The thicker the leaf the more it will stretch. It is necessary that the leaf gets the time it takes to fully absorb the moister deep into it. I will lightly spray directly on the leaf and shake off the access to get it started but, most of it's absorption will come from the spraying the sides of the tubs I use to do it. Pinching/pulling out the crinkles, flattening throughout the time, de-stemming is saved till the time of assembly. Even the filler. I want flat leaf to start with so I can form it myself. Meaning, crinkled bits in the leaf can have burn problems. This all does not have to do with prepping the moister for assembly of low/medium/high.

MarcL

Something else I noticed is leaf does possess a memory to a degree. some more then others. so, I do tend to leave the final stretching for application.

ArizonaDave

Thanks, MarcL! I made another pair of sticks with the same wrapper, but I let it hydrate overnight. I had much better results - nice tight seams. Like everything, it just takes getting used to!
I know what you mean about prepping the filler. I do my best to flatten it out before rolling the 'tubes.'

As some of you know, I keep a spray bottle of Rum/Vanilla. This leaf smells & smokes perfect with a little of that sprayed on to sit overnight........

greenmonster714

As some of you know, I keep a spray bottle of Rum/Vanilla. This leaf smells & smokes perfect with a little of that sprayed on to sit overnight........

That sounds tasty. What kind of vanilla you using and at what ratio? Is it all diluted with distilled water or just mixed straight? Sound like something I'd enjoy in a pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.