Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT Honduran Habano Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This is a brief review of the Cuban Seed Honduran leaf that I received today from WLT.

For almost a half century, I have been particularly fond of the traditional cigars of Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch (which have probably always been the very same blend in slightly differing sizes), both made in the Villazon factory in Honduras. [Yup. I'm that old!] They are "blended" from Honduran Cuban seed tobacco--derived from the infamous batch of seed smuggled out of Cuba in a diplomatic pouch. Nicaraguan Cuban seed tobacco is neither better nor worse than its Honduran counterpart, but it's different in aroma and body. They're both likely the same seed variety, though that is not certain. The soil and cultural practices are slightly different, and the two tobaccos are readily distinguishable.

My guess is that the traditional Hoyo and Punch were and continue to be "blended" in the same manner as is current in Cuba (e.g. at Robaina). That is to say, the blend is of different leaf positions from the same plant.

After opening the sealed bag of Honduran Cuban Seed tobacco from WLT, I frog-legged the first three leaves that separated from the hand, then bound and wrapped the bunched leaf in my own FL Sumatra sun-grown wrapper, which contributes minimal flavors and aroma. Within minutes, I was smoking a dead ringer for a slightly over-sized EMS Hoyo Rothschild. The flavor, aroma and medium-full bodied richness was unmistakable.

If you are a fan of Hoyo or Punch traditional cigars, then you can do no better for home rolling than to acquire some (a lot) of this Honduran Habano leaf for filler. Wrap it in Besuki or Ecuador Sumatra leaf for an EMS cigar. For maduro, go with the Ecuador Maduro wrapper.

Of course, you can blend this filler with any other leaf. But for a traditional Hoyo or Punch aroma, just straight Honduran filler is on target.

Bob

webmost

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Had not thought of the comparison. What you left out is the leaf is very agreeable to work with, smells grand, and tastes like hearty nutmeg, wood, and cocoa. I have no sumatra; but have been wrapping with equally flavor transparent CT shade. Great stuff.

Gavroche

Hoyo de Monterrey et Punch from Honduras not from Cuba ?.. is't it ?...the punch punch fromCuba is marvelous... you smoke Cuba or not ?...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Gavroche, I forgot that both of those cigar brands are still produced in Cuba, in government factories. I'm referring to the Honduran Punch and Honduran Hoyo de Monterrey. I have smoked some of both brands from Cuba over the years. The Cuban cigars seem to be a bit stronger, and have a different flavor and aroma. Since the early 1970s, the Honduran cigars from the Villazon factory have changed very little in their blending (other than introducing newer frontmarks, such as Excalibur, which are different blends). The Cuban Hoyos and Punch have altered their blend a number of times during that interval.

(Villazon used to manufacture a magnificent El Rey del Mundo line, which was one of the creamiest cigars I've ever smoked. But over the years, they have altered the blend significantly, making them more harsh and more full-bodied. Another brand from Villazon, Flor de A. Allones, was developed for Dunhill's American customers who longed for Cuban cigars. They are similar in blend to Hoyo and Punch, but stronger. They are currently available from JR Cigars, and are wonderful, but because of their potency, I restrict my purchases to the smaller sizes.)

Now, I'm not claiming that Hoyo and Punch are the ultimate in cigars (Villazon also makes the similar, JR Ultimate line), but my career in cigar smoking began with Hoyo de Monterrey #55 (now extinct). So Hoyo holds a special place in my heart. WLT's Honduran Cuban seed leaf rings that bell.

Bob

Tfrankz

I have been waiting for Don to get more leaf before I place an order. I have a couple pounds of this in the cart waiting. Might give another week before I order some of this. Maybe an eta Don on a restock of leaf?

ArizonaDave

This is a brief review of the Cuban Seed Honduran leaf that I received today from WLT.

For almost a half century, I have been particularly fond of the traditional cigars of Hoyo de Monterrey and Punch (which have probably always been the very same blend in slightly differing sizes), both made in the Villazon factory in Honduras. [Yup. I'm that old!] They are "blended" from Honduran Cuban seed tobacco--derived from the infamous batch of seed smuggled out of Cuba in a diplomatic pouch. Nicaraguan Cuban seed tobacco is neither better nor worse than its Honduran counterpart, but it's different in aroma and body. They're both likely the same seed variety, though that is not certain. The soil and cultural practices are slightly different, and the two tobaccos are readily distinguishable.

My guess is that the traditional Hoyo and Punch were and continue to be "blended" in the same manner as is current in Cuba (e.g. at Robaina). That is to say, the blend is of different leaf positions from the same plant.

After opening the sealed bag of Honduran Cuban Seed tobacco from WLT, I frog-legged the first three leaves that separated from the hand, then bound and wrapped the bunched leaf in my own FL Sumatra sun-grown wrapper, which contributes minimal flavors and aroma. Within minutes, I was smoking a dead ringer for a slightly over-sized EMS Hoyo Rothschild. The flavor, aroma and medium-full bodied richness was unmistakable.

If you are a fan of Hoyo or Punch traditional cigars, then you can do no better for home rolling than to acquire some (a lot) of this Honduran Habano leaf for filler. Wrap it in Besuki or Ecuador Sumatra leaf for an EMS cigar. For maduro, go with the Ecuador Maduro wrapper.

Of course, you can blend this filler with any other leaf. But for a traditional Hoyo or Punch aroma, just straight Honduran filler is on target.

Bob
`
`
a properly aged punch, my favorite......great review

bonneville

I just smoked a 2010 Punch Punch, it was the fourth cigar I've smoked in my life, all four have been Cubans and all were smoked in the past week...the Punch Punch was the most enjoyable of the four. I would certainly like to buy some WLT leaves that might approximate that. Wondering if DeluxeStogie could advise?

Cheers, Bonneville.

burge

Look at the cigar kits and decide what you want I think there is a Cuban ligero in there. It will be really good or ask Marci

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just smoked a 2010 Punch Punch, it was the fourth cigar I've smoked in my life, all four have been Cubans and all were smoked in the past week...the Punch Punch was the most enjoyable of the four. I would certainly like to buy some WLT leaves that might approximate that. Wondering if DeluxeStogie could advise?

Cheers, Bonneville.
As I pointed out in a thread just a few days ago, go with the Honduras Gran Habano "blending kit": http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Honduras-Gran-Habano-CgrBlnd6.htm

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The current inventory is the same crop year as the first tobacco offered on WLT. We are on our fourth bale of this tobacco now and have a hard time keeping it in stock. I'm not sure how much longer this exact tobacco will be available, but like I always say "buy it while it's available".

ArizonaDave

The current inventory is the same crop year as the first tobacco offered on WLT. We are on our fourth bale of this tobacco now and have a hard time keeping it in stock. I'm not sure how much longer this exact tobacco will be available, but like I always say "buy it while it's available".

I'm going to stock up, great to blend with, or on it's own. Still have a half pound, but will be gone soon. I have to get some more Mata Fina, and some Secos.

D0CH0LLIDAY

I just tried the filler with some criollo seco and viso and nicaraguan binder. It's very good. This aged honduras filler is good stuff. Now I need to get some of the wrapper to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.