Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New (well aged) Cigar Wrapper opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

I was out all weekend on a long ride to the upper left corner of New York and back in a miserable constant rain. One bright spot, tho: While I was gone, my order arrived. Have not had a chance to crack into it. Hope for some time tonight.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
To those who haven't received samples, please be patient. We're super swamped with orders. I'll do my best to get the rest of the samples shipped tomorrow.

webmost

first impressions

capas.jpg

Capa 2 Castano Alto (on the right in the picture)

These leaves are about about 15"x6" in size. They have a super delicate texture. They feel fragile. Similar to Sumatra. Unlikely to make a decent binder. They have a super mild aroma right out of the bag. In fact, you can stick your nose right in the bag and get nearly nothing from it. Likewise the smolder of it is super mild ... I like to pinch off a shred from the tip of a wrapper leaf and apply a lighter to it, to see how it burns once the lighter is removed, and what it smells like. I suppose I ought to use a cigar ember ... but this is a shortcut way to do it. This leaf burnt a la vela for about 8 seconds. That's a decent burn. It produced a super mild smoke, which ought to prove flavor transparent. It displays a fine brown color, with no oil. These each have a super small stem. I pluck another shred and give it a chew. This also is a mild taste. The leaf I selected has some small holes.

Capa Claro (on the left in the picture)

These leaves are about 15"x7" in size; but they also carry their extra width along more of their length. I'd say they are twice as thick, half as delicate, far less fragile. These also have a super mild aroma. When I pinch off a bit and light it, it burns on its own for only 3 seconds. The smoke is more flavorful, though still not pungent. I'm thinking a cocoa aroma. This leaf should enhance the flavor of filler, while still being transparent to the flavor it encloses. More like a habano wrapper. The color is not as nice, though. You can see the yellow cast of it. It has more oil, though; so it ought to make at least some sheen. Like the other, it has a super small stem. A chew of it gives me cocoa pepper taste. There are no holes.

Now to find something to wrap in them.

ArizonaDave

big nicotine kick on the Capa 2 Castano Alto. chewing a tip on some now. great stuff. would make a fantastic chew leaf.....i'd love to have a bunch of this. on another note, the criollo ligero leaf i just received iz almost wrapper grade. fantastic az well .`
``great leaves .

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie G.

I was lucky enough to receive samples of these tobacco's from Don.
I rolled up 2 sticks the other day using the Capa Claro as a wrapper for this blend.
2 Piloto Seco
I/3 Meta Fina
1/2 Flojo
and 1 Piloto Viso

I let them sit for 2 days and then couldn't resist it anymore. I lit one up.
I have to say it must have been one of those lucky cigars I roll every once in a while. It was a great smoke down to my fingers.
It tasted like a well aged mellow light bodied blend. I'm real bad picking out flavors and nuances of cigars so I'm not going to try. I can say it had a creamy texture to it.
I would expect to pay $12. in a B&M store for a cigar like it.
I will say I put that leaf near the top of my list I have had so far.

webmost

This is good news. My own first experiment, which I fired up just now, was rather boring. All wood.

Gonna roll up a new try tomorrow.

ArizonaDave

I was lucky enough to receive samples of these tobacco's from Don.
I rolled up 2 sticks the other day using the Capa Claro as a wrapper for this blend.
2 Piloto Seco
I/3 Meta Fina
1/2 Flojo
and 1 Piloto Viso

I let them sit for 2 days and then couldn't resist it anymore. I lit one up.
I have to say it must have been one of those lucky cigars I roll every once in a while. It was a great smoke down to my fingers.
It tasted like a well aged mellow light bodied blend. I'm real bad picking out flavors and nuances of cigars so I'm not going to try. I can say it had a creamy texture to it.
I would expect to pay $12. in a B&M store for a cigar like it.
I will say I put that leaf near the top of my list I have had so far.
`
`
zounds good charlie. i'm rolling some up tonight using both wrappers with a similar mixture . the flojo might be the ticket on this blend.

Smokin Harley

As you guys know, I actively seek unusual types of cigar tobacco. I was recently approached with an offer to purchase two different types of Bahiano wrapper. One is Capa Claro 2009 crop and the other is Capa Castano Alto 2007 crop year. There isn't enough to list full pounds for sale, but these would be perfect for introducing "limited edition" type blends.

I'd like several of the forum's more experienced cigar blenders to create a couple (few) blends using this wrapper. Members with at least 250 posts or those who are regular customers of Whole Leaf Tobacco.com can request samples of 3 - 4 leaves (6 - 8 wrappers) and small samples of tobacco to use to create these blends if you don't already have them in your arsenal.

At the time of writing this post, I'm smoking a puro of the Castono. I don't want to influence your opinion on a flavor profile, but this stuff has a very strong nicotine hit, so be careful. I haven't tried the Claro yet. There are only 5 sample packs of each, so please don't be offended if you are not selected to contribute. Those who do contribute will receive one of each of the blends after they are put into production.

Please send requests via PM.
I love when the swallows come back from Capa Castano ...:rolleyes:

ArizonaDave

Criollo ligero, criollo seco, piloto viso, bound in capa clara, wrapped in castano.

Interesting. I wonder if both capa clara AND the castano have an underlaying woody note, and then compounded when together? I'm going to skip using any mata fina and add some flojo viso in it's place, to see if that does the trick, and maybe some corojo viso. I'll do one each this evening, and a couple of other blends with it.

I've noticed that some wrappers don't play well with certain tobaccos, like: Criollo and cameroon clash, Penn. binder with dominican is odd. Time will tell in a couple of days.

webmost

Which begs the question: what do you think the penn binder does play well with?

ArizonaDave

Which begs the question: what do you think the penn binder does play well with?
Well, the results surprised me. I originally tried a small corona with piloto cubano seco, which I found too boring and similar, but then I added criollo liguero, and it brought it into perfect balance. So, yes the Penn. binder definitely plays well with Criollo. I roll quite a few that have Penn/PCS/Cr. Ligero. I'm sure it would go with other blends as well.

On a taste test only, the Capa Castano doesn't blend with Criollo, but taste doesn't necessarily translate into smoke. I'm going to roll one with dominican, and a habano blend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.