Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

the Smokin Harley /Black Lion grow of 2016 is now under way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

the Smokin Harley grow of 2016 is now over except for the last row of Perique suckers that grew to 4 ft tall . Everything else usable got picked clean today and hung in the barn. The Amarillo Parada gave me 2 full wires of leaf again . Coroja just didn't do very well ,whereas everything else did very well to exceptional.
I sat down to have a break and water and I watched the local hummingbird come through the back yard, pause while hovering over where the tobacco plants ( in full bloom ) had been , looked a little disappointed, maybe even lost , sat on the cable wire and looked around like "where the hell did all my flowers go? They were here just this morning"
Then I picked 2 giant bowls plus a giant flower pot of roma tomatoes . Wife will make salsa and sauce out of those. Busy day . Now to wait and relax until it is kiln time.

Cigar

Glad you had such nice grow season seems just yesterday when we first plant those tiny seeds to picking huge leaves..wow how time flies by these days!!

Cigar

Smokin Harley

Youre not kidding. seeds take what seems like forever to get from whatever they are 0.5 mm? to just planting size them boom , overnight they turn into a tree of a plant. This year was really good for just about everything I planted.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on the grow.

Four years ago, I planted climbing Scarlet Runner beans in the ground below the corner of my front porch. They climbed up the wrought iron to the roof, and then some. A hummingbird regularly visited the prolific red blossoms all summer long. Today, four years since the beans grew there, a hummingbird stops by each summer day, seems to stare at me in dismay, then zips away. What's remarkable is that they migrate to the deep South each winter. So his particular hummingbird likely remembers every spot that ever provided nectar during its life. It's got a hummingbird brain.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I think you're right Bob. We sit on our front porch and we see 2 hummers stop by and I really think they are always the same birds year after year. They know where their regular feeding stops are along the migration route. I actually felt bad for the tiny fella yesterday. He looked seriously disappointed that "his" flowers were gone.
Also as I was taking the giant stalks down yesterday there was what I will call a bumblebee on one of the Olor flowers. He wasn't the typical round fat bumble bee like I normally see .more like an elongated body,never seen one built quite like it.
Still never got any sign of a bud on the Colombian Garcia...after 4 1/2 months growing (from seed) I just wonder how long of a season it actually needs to flower.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I finally got blossoms on the Colombian Garcia in mid September. None the previous year. My records show 120 days to blossom in 2015. In Alabama, Knucklehead had blossoms, but I don't recall the timing. It's definitely slow to produce blossoms. I suspect that it may also be a "long night" variety--one that won't blossom until the length of the nights significantly increases.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I thought sure my crop was done this season...well the Comstock Spanich and Habano 2000 beg to differ . After I knocked down what I thought was everything, I still have two survivor plants that are doing just fine in what used to be the shade area. Both have leaves useable for each's (is that a word?) purpose. Leaves are definitely big enough on the H2k for wrapper . Just wondering how the fall sun grown will do as wrapper.

Smokin Harley

before we get the big snow of 2016 I put the patio furniture away in the barn. Same barn I store my color cured leaf. You would think that in a temperature of 23*F everything would be crispy...not so. The humidity in the barn is 60% on the high gauge and 70% on the lower gauge but that one had been dropped and the accompanying thermometer shattered so I doubt it is within its expected calibration range. Anyway, the leaf itself is very pliable like slightly damp morning newspaper. So , seeing as how I have a lot of time ahead this winter and I built that oak pressing box, I hauled most of the sucker growth leaf of the Perique and the Little Sweet Orinoko for processing. I'm about to thresh ( remove the midrib) them . The LSO I may take half of this and make up a batch for chew and the other half for pipe. The Perique suckers I'll process as pressure fermented and the clean nice big prime season leaves I may save some for a cigar blend since Bob touts it as a nice addition . Bob, whats your favorite home grown blend to put 2nd or 3rd priming of air cured Perique with in a stogie?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, whats your favorite home grown blend to put 2nd or 3rd priming of air cured Perique with in a stogie?
It's been a number of years (2011) since I was blending with Perique color-cured leaf. I would guess (that's the best I can do at this point) that Little Dutch and PA Red play nice with it.

I'm fairly convinced that the Louisiana Perique variety is a rogue flue-cure variety that's had a few generations of unintended, partial crossing with the milk man, the mail man and maybe some red burley. (Visually, when compared side-by-side, Perique appears to be identical to Hickory Pryor, though the finished leaf is different.)

Garden_20110812_03_Perique_HickoryPryor_compare_400_tall.jpg

The nearest bagged plant is Perique; the corner bagged plant is Hickory Pryor.

Garden_20110812_02_Perique_HickoryPryor_compare_400_tall.jpg

The same two plants: Perique on the left, Hickory Pryor on the right.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.