Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hey forum, from W. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickyBiz

I acquired seven varieties this spring, went whole hog kerbang and sowed them all. I thought my tobacco grow was real short lived when after ten days or so there wasn't a single damn thing showing in the seed flats. But they have plans for me I see now, they are all showing nicely so looks like lots of transplant and grow work looms. Here is what I got: Cuban Criollo 98, Havana 608, Havana z299, Connecticut Broadleaf, Connecticut Shade, Virginia 116 and African Red. The source was Sustainable Seed Co out of Chico, CA.
I really don't know for sure how I got to the point of ordering tobacco seed. I think it started when I was researching curing, my interest being in curing whacky tobacco ;). After days of reading about curing and thinking and such, hell I was reading about growing tobacco! Now look what happened, a couple three flats of seedlings. :D Anyway, I think this site you all have going here is going to save my butt when it comes to growing and curing these plants. Thanks!

DGBAMA

Welcome. First year is exciting. Still amazes me such a small seed can make such a big plant in one season.I would like to grow the other too, but at least for now, Baccy is the legal one around here.

DGBAMA

Germination is touchy. Good job. If it takes more than a week, likely soil temp was too cold the first few days.

StickyBiz

Germination is touchy. Good job. If it takes more than a week, likely soil temp was too cold the first few days.
I didn't go with heat pads from the start and think now that I should have. I put heat pads under two flats at day 10 and moved the other two higher up into direct sunlight and they all started showing about the same on day 12. The short season ones did show first. This was in the house but I guess what I like and tobacco likes are different. They were probably low 60s f for the first 10 days at floor level.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
They could germinate at that temperature, but it'll take forever and be inconsistent. Consistent heat and light will do the trick. Last year I had bad results because I didn't apply enough of either. This year I'm using a float setup with heated water and have had excellent germination (probably 90%+ with new seed). As DGBAMA told me last year, you'll be a pro by next year.

DGBAMA

There will be bumps in the road. Start a grow log, and keep it updated. We will help you along. Next year it will serve as a diary so you can review what you learned and second grow is no problem. By then you may even feel like you can help guide next year's "new guys".

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That's funny..you went from curing weed..to curing bacca..

You'll appreciate the amount of money you save by growing your own..not to mention the satisfaction of puffing on something better than the store has to offer..

Welcome to the club of free thinkers...and I also wish I could cure my own weed..without fear of the law.

franklinbond

I acquired seven varieties this spring, went whole hog kerbang and sowed them all. I thought my tobacco grow was real short lived when after ten days or so there wasn't a single damn thing showing in the seed flats. But they have plans for me I see now, they are all showing nicely so looks like lots of transplant and grow work looms. Here is what I got: Cuban Criollo 98, Havana 608, Havana z299, Connecticut Broadleaf, Connecticut Shade, Virginia 116 and African Red. The source was Sustainable Seed Co out of Chico, CA.
I really don't know for sure how I got to the point of ordering tobacco seed. I think it started when I was researching curing, my interest being in curing whacky tobacco ;). After days of reading about curing and thinking and such, hell I was reading about growing tobacco! Now look what happened, a couple three flats of seedlings. :D Anyway, I think this site you all have going here is going to save my butt when it comes to growing and curing these plants. Thanks!
I think I can learn lot from you in terms of growing tobacco..Let me plan it out first..

Status
Not open for further replies.