Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stinging nettles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello,

For tomatoes, the gardeners advise(recommend) to put a handle(handful) of fresh(cool) stinging nettles at the bottom of the hole of plantation somebody tried with the tobacco ?
Thank you

Hello,

Pour les tomates, les jardiniers conseillent de mettre une poignée d'orties fraiches au fond du trou de plantation... quelqu'un a essayé avec le tabac ?Merci

Planter

I have never tried adding nettles directly to the plant hole, but have used diluted nettle feed / fertilizer many times on tobacco plants as a quick starter.
I fill a bucket with nettles, then add water, and let it ferment for at least 2 weeks (by then it will have a certain odor). Weak looking tobacco or tomato plants tend to turn green and become visibly stronger within a few days after watering with a 1:10 solution.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Better wear gloves when messing with them things..they sure can put a hurting on you.

AmaxB

I have this very prickly stuff in my lawn (hard to get rid of) thought maybe it was this stuff (nettles) you guys are talking about. Nope not nettles it's a Musk Thistle Weed gloves are required..
Turns out nettles have medical use as well and can even be a food source. (did a google search)

chekun

Salut,

I use nettle for several years in my vegetable garden, but in manure ("purin" in french).

1kg of fresh nettles for 10l of rain water.
Fermentation takes between 2 or 3 weeks, stir often.
After, you filter the mixture.

You have to use this mixiture in a 10% concentration (1L manure nettles for 10L of water).

My plants love this manure.
Just a little problem, it smell very bad.

DistillingJim

A mother of my friend picks nettles to make wine. Unique, but not bad.

DistillingJim

What is the taste ? I know nettle soup but not wine.

Hard to describe. A little green, a little bitter but not overwhelmingly. Not something my palate was used to. It took a few sips to decide if I liked it or not.

Brown Thumb

For the Brave.
Stinging nettles is more nutritious than most leafy greens. Compared to spinach, it has 29x the amount of calcium, 14x the amount of iron, 8x the amount of magnesium, and 4x the amount of potassium. See what you get from just one cup of stinging nettles…

Mineral Content
Serving Size: 1 cup (89g or 3.1 oz)
—————- ————– ———
Amount RDI%
Protein 2.4119g 5%
Calcium 428.09 mg 43%
Iron 1.4596 mg 8%
Magnesium 50.73 mg 13%
Phosphorus 63.19 mg 6%
Potassium 297.26 mg 6%
Zinc 0.3026 mg 2%
Copper 0.06764 mg 3%
Manganese 0.69331 mg 35%
Green Smoothie with Nettles

2 bananas and/or
1 cup frozen mangoes
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (optional, if you add these the smootie will be purple)
a careful handful (don’t get stung… use gloves!) of fresh nettles
2 cups of purified water
a handfull of sprouts
you may add chia seeds, hemp seeds
Bee pollen
Nettles Smoothie II

1 cup pineapple or orange juice
1 handful of fresh nettles
½ cup of Greek yogurt
3 cups spring greens or lambsquarter / miner’s lettuce
1 cup organic strawberries
2 peaches, sliced
2 Tbsp molasses or raw honey
Blend until smooth and enjoy! We use the vitamix for our green smoothies…

Common Name: Stinging Nettle

Latin Name: Urtica diocia

Description: Stinging Nettle is a green plant with finely serrated, heart-shaped leaves. The small, greenish flowers that grow on the Stinging Nettle grow in clusters and droop from its leaves. The nettle can grow up to 7 feet tall and is covered with tiny stinging hairs, which give the plant its name.

Habitat: Nettles prefer cool, moist places that get limited sun exposure. Plants can be found growing in thickets near forest clearings and alongside streams and rivers. The plant can be found across North America, Europe, Asia, and Africa

Food: The whole plant is edible, but it tastes best when young and under 2 feet. The plant can be eaten raw, however this can be uncomfortable as you are likely to get stung by one of its spines. The spines, which are believed to contain formic acid and histamine compounds, will irritate the skin upon contact. Traditionally, nettles have been steamed to avoid the stinging sensation, however, blending the plant destroys its needles and enables consumption in the raw form!

Nutrition: Nettles have been used for hundreds of years to treat arthritis and other joint problems. They have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, lower blood sugar, calm allergies, and relax sore muscles. Nettles are particularly high in iron making them extremely beneficial for people suffering from anemia. Tea made from nettles makes a great hair rinse, promotes hair growth, and eliminates dandruff.

Fun Fact: The same chemical compound produced by the nettle plant, which causes irritation, soothes the skin! If you are stung by stinging nettles applying fresh stinging nettle juice to irritated area will completely neutralize the itch!

Recipe: Stinging Nettle Pesto (More recipes like these found in the book “Fresh” by Sergei and Valya Boutenko.)

½ cup of stinging nettle leaves
½ cup of pine nuts
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup of sun dried tomatoes (optional)
Blend nettles in blender to destroy spines. Add remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly. Add more oil or lemon juice if necessary. Serve like regular pesto on crackers, bread, pasta, etc.

Serves 3

Related Links:

Recipes
Health & Wellness
Organic Propagation
Water
Store
About these ads

Share this:
Facebook1TwitterGooglePinterest50Email

Related
Dates In Your Diet
In "Nut Milks & Smoothies"
DIY Calcium from Eggshells
In "Heath & Wellness"
Magnesium Deficiency
In "Alkaline Foods & Diet"

Thomas Hood

I began growing nettles to make organic fertilizer but then found how delicious nettle tea from fresh nettles can be. The good flavor of nettles is lost when dried. Nevertheless, I now have a winter's supply of dried nettle because of its health benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.