Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

To late to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

I have been absent from the forum for quite some time. Life has been full of changes. I went from being a therapist to running a farm with 1000 acres of corn and soybeans. I have been dreaming of starting a tobacco plot. Is is still feasible if I have access to a big barn for color during? I am hoping to start seed tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated, especially from Bob (deluxestogie) as I know he is from the great state of VA as well. Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Smokin Harley

not too late at all. Last year the last of my backup plants went in the ground first week of July and still gave me plenty of leaf and flowered. In fact I have plants I sowed seed just a week ago . Its still early by annual average last frosts . Our last expected in May 15th .

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Seconded. Go for it. Big Bonner will concur - here in Kentucky (zone 6a) it's possible to plant as late as July. Just apply good germination practice so you get your seedlings asap. Best of luck!

DGBAMA

Should be fine for leaf production, depending on climate late season curing can be a challenge and worst case may not have enough time to get seed.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've planted as late as June 10 in Maryland. At this point it might be easier for you to just contact BigBonner and order some plants.

BigBonner

Founding Member
It is kind of late for starting seedlings . It will take 8 weeks from starting the seeds . If you start now you will be planting around July 1st . It can be done " IF " the weather is perfect . But Rarely , because the temps are too hot and lack of rain .

Gavroche

Oh, I believed that it was because the August and September were less convenient to the growth ...

oh, je croyais que c'était parce que les mois d’août et septembre étaient moins propices à la croissance...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that it's pretty late to start from seed. You'd be behind the curve in growing, then well into chilly fall weather by the time you're ready to color cure. You could do it, but it will require taking a lot of antacids for the added stress.

I second the suggestion that you PM BigBonner about ordering transplants (if he has them). When they arrive, you just plop them into the ground. And, they will be well developed and hardy.

Bob

webmost

Hey D Vick

bumping this thread, cause I dunno, didn't see whether you ever planted some BigBonner seedlings.

Just last night I bumped into the box of habano puros I rolled about a year ago from the damp leaves you sent me. A year's rest has made a world of difference in them. All the stanky is gone. Of course, they draw real tight, cause the damp made them shrink down hard. But the flavor is terrific. I'll send you some if you want. Otherwise, I have rotated them to the top of the home-roll coolidor, so that they're handy.

dvick003

I would love a few home rolled through the pony express. Thanks for the offer webmost. Also, I went ahead and planted the seed I had as I was afraid germination would be a problem next year with this seed. They are taking off.

webmost

I would love a few home rolled through the pony express. Thanks for the offer webmost. Also, I went ahead and planted the seed I had as I was afraid germination would be a problem next year with this seed. They are taking off.

I'll box some up right now. Just beware they dried up tight. I shoulda dried the leaves before rolling, rather than the other way round.

I'll need your address. Can't find it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.