Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Founding Member

5 members have Nominated this post.

Here is how I start my plants

Here is how I make my seedling this year . Hope all my pictures make it on here .
    I use no fertilizer until the seedlings are bigger than a match head .
    The soil I use is not fertilized either . I think plants start better with no fertilizer when germinating .
    My seed pans was just seeded and places on my kitchen counter top .Little to no light

Pan with light wicking soil . Not compacted , Light and fluffy

Mix seeds in a small amount of wicking soil and scatter even as possible all over tray .

They should germinate like this . I have already used alot of plants from this tray .

Fill float trays with soil . Do not compact just fill and rake off the top

Making holes

Pull out a small amount of seedlings

Put one seedling in each hole and lightly pinch soil together

Finished tray . I also spray a fine mist over top to keep the sun from drying theplants out a killing them .

Place trays on water to float 4 inches of water

Seedlings after less than a week

Seedlings at less than two weeks

Re: Here is how I start my plants

In the last pic, the green around the seedlings is Moss/algae? I ask because I get the same thing, it doesn't seem to affect the seedlings.

Looks good Big, I have a single float tray and my sprouted seedlings are about ready to transplant to it. You wouldn't happen to have any Ct Shade 8212 seed would you?
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Thank you Big... good lesson... I am learning with you to 2017...!

Merci Big, bonne le├žon...je suis en train d'apprendre avec vous pour 2017...!

If anyone wants to buy some float trays..I have a lot of them..shoot me a p.m.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Founding Member

For some reason I can not reply with quotes or edit my post .

Moss/algae?
    The moss / algae is not a problem for me . It will leave when the sun pops out . It has been cold, cloudy and rainy here .

I used two different soils this year . I only made about 20 trays from one and it has no moss on the trays . But the plant are not growing like they should .

The picture don't show true colors of the plants . But they look great and does not have the yellow looking leaves . The sunlight made them transparent and some leaves look lighter in color .

Smoking Harley

The seeds I used for CT Shade I believe came from Deluxestogie ,If my notes are correct , they came from John Ashworth and he acquired them from a farmer close by where he lived . I do not know the number or name.

I was using my one hole seeder which was quicker , but some trays I was having too many that did not germinate . Even with this method I won't get 100% stand of plants , but it is close and better than the one hole seeding's .

1 members have Nominated this post.

I got to give you props for being a bacca farmer that starts your own seeds..all but one of the bacca farms I visit..buys their seedlings..and I visit a lot of them..mostly in Georgia.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Quote Originally Posted by BigBonner View Post
    For some reason I can not reply with quotes or edit my post .
    Larry,
    I now have to use Google Chrome browser to get the forum editing, etc. to function properly. It doesn't work in my IE.

Bob

FireFox works as well
    Any Thing I say is a matter of discovery and opinion - I leave fact to those who are educated
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't move a mountain but can toss a pebble - If I toss many I'll have a mountain where I want it..........

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    If anyone wants to buy some float trays..I have a lot of them..shoot me a p.m.
    let me do some math tomorrow and I'll let you know. I might be in for one or two . How much you asking each?
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast