Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Here is how I start my plants

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Harley View Post
    let me do some math tomorrow and I'll let you know. I might be in for one or two . How much you asking each?
    `
    you're going to have one big bumper crop, and a good supply of tobacco for sure.
    Amateur Cigar roller, Tobacco enthusiast.

Founding Member

My crop is way smaller than what I use to grow . Phillip Morris has closed their tobacco contract stations here and are not signing any contracts . RJ Reynolds is the only one who is signing contracts and they are full up and won't sign any new ones .
    With the tobacco cuts , I am not sure of what types of tobacco that I should be growing to sell . This year I am planning on Bursa , Pa Wrapper , Ct Broad leaf , Habano and maybe Yellow twist bud . Most I have plenty of but I need to keep my supply up for aging .

Here is a list of plant I will have , or hopefully have if the weather permits . These are still small and will take more time to finish them for planting .
    Ottoman
    Samson
    Bursa
    Virginia Bright Leaf
    K326 Flue cured
    Maryland 609
    Yellow Twist Bud
    Silver River
    Burley Tn90 and nc 777
    PA Wrapper
    Habano 2000
    Florida Sumatra
    Ct Broadleaf
    CT Shade
    9.Vuelta Abajo
    Rustica
    KY 171

Amateur Kentuckian ProfessorPangloss's Avatar

About the algae - I started my first round of everything in ProMix and it is doing absolutely spectacular. I have tomato plants in my greenhouse with blooms on them already (var. New Girl, seeded on 2/14). However, after that I switched to Bonnie mix from Southern States and it has not been as good. The subsequent tomatoes have been slower to take off, and they've gotten the same treatment otherwise. I always felt like the ProMix was a superior product (it's not fertilized - just innoculated with mycorrhize). What brand of mix are you using to fill your floats?

Also, can I ask why you choose KY171 for around here? I'm trying KY15 this year - figure I can't go wrong with KY varieties around here.

Founding Member

The algae is not a problem unless it continues to rain . WE have had plenty here lately . You can spray with diathane if it starts to make root rot .
    This year I used sungrow , I have always used Speedling but I could not find it with out fertilizer .
    I have used some from southern states and it just does not grow right . I used two bags this year because the store is close to me . I do not like it at all .

Ky 171 is a dark air / fire variety and if I am not mistaken KY15 is a white stemmed burley .

I chose ky171 because it is supposed to produce an decent wrapper grade leaf . I don't have very many of these plants . I have plenty of dark air / fire left from last seasons grow .

The key with wicking soil is to not pack the soil . I have tiny seedling that I had sewn across 72 cell trays as extra's . The plants are a little bigger than a match head , but their roots are around 2.5 to 3 inches long .
    Slow growth may be due to our weather cold and rainy here .

Quote Originally Posted by BigBonner View Post
    My crop is way smaller than what I use to grow . Phillip Morris has closed their tobacco contract stations here and are not signing any contracts . RJ Reynolds is the only one who is signing contracts and they are full up and won't sign any new ones .

Why ?. They buy somewhere else or the world demand(request) of tobacco collapses?...

Pourquoi, ils ach├Ętent ailleurs ou la demande de tabac mondiale s'effondre ?...

I make my soil mix using..

Miracle grow ( 3 month time release Fertilizer )
    Mushroom compost
    Cow manure compost
    Scott's potting soil
    Perlite
    Bat guano ( collected by me locally )
    Syphofegen peat

All that makes my plants jump.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post

All that makes my plants jump.
    Fertilizer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IXXtYHfM0r8

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Thumb View Post

Lol...look like she was going for the $20,000 on "" guys grocery games ""
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Founding Member

I am glad that I don't have any problems with bugs . These plant are as organic as a person can get . Nothing has been applied
    Here is some more pictures .

Trimmed

Larry , those plants look great . How old are those (from seed)
    Dave, I do have a bumper crop from last years grow ...hoping to do just as well this season.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast