Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Here is how I start my plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is how I make my seedling this year . Hope all my pictures make it on here .
I use no fertilizer until the seedlings are bigger than a match head .
The soil I use is not fertilized either . I think plants start better with no fertilizer when germinating .
My seed pans was just seeded and places on my kitchen counter top .Little to no light

Pan with light wicking soil . Not compacted , Light and fluffy
oE16zMI.jpg

Mix seeds in a small amount of wicking soil and scatter even as possible all over tray .
MohsD6T.jpg

They should germinate like this . I have already used alot of plants from this tray .
t4tw59M.jpg

Fill float trays with soil . Do not compact just fill and rake off the top
BuIHFx8.jpg

Making holes
3PMoShB.jpg

Pull out a small amount of seedlings
29uumFu.jpg

Put one seedling in each hole and lightly pinch soil together
1VyY1jl.jpg

Finished tray . I also spray a fine mist over top to keep the sun from drying theplants out a killing them .
AYYE0q8.jpg

Place trays on water to float 4 inches of water
QyHvZDO.jpg

Seedlings after less than a week
8SBkIEL.jpg

Seedlings at less than two weeks
vC1BIVt.jpg

DGBAMA

In the last pic, the green around the seedlings is Moss/algae? I ask because I get the same thing, it doesn't seem to affect the seedlings.

Smokin Harley

Looks good Big, I have a single float tray and my sprouted seedlings are about ready to transplant to it. You wouldn't happen to have any Ct Shade 8212 seed would you?

Gavroche

Thank you Big... good lesson... I am learning with you to 2017...!

Merci Big, bonne leçon...je suis en train d'apprendre avec vous pour 2017...!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If anyone wants to buy some float trays..I have a lot of them..shoot me a p.m.

BigBonner

Founding Member
For some reason I can not reply with quotes or edit my post .

Moss/algae?
The moss / algae is not a problem for me . It will leave when the sun pops out . It has been cold, cloudy and rainy here .

I used two different soils this year . I only made about 20 trays from one and it has no moss on the trays . But the plant are not growing like they should .

The picture don't show true colors of the plants . But they look great and does not have the yellow looking leaves . The sunlight made them transparent and some leaves look lighter in color .

Smoking Harley

The seeds I used for CT Shade I believe came from Deluxestogie ,If my notes are correct , they came from John Ashworth and he acquired them from a farmer close by where he lived . I do not know the number or name.

I was using my one hole seeder which was quicker , but some trays I was having too many that did not germinate . Even with this method I won't get 100% stand of plants , but it is close and better than the one hole seeding's .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I got to give you props for being a bacca farmer that starts your own seeds..all but one of the bacca farms I visit..buys their seedlings..and I visit a lot of them..mostly in Georgia.

BigBonner

Founding Member
My crop is way smaller than what I use to grow . Phillip Morris has closed their tobacco contract stations here and are not signing any contracts . RJ Reynolds is the only one who is signing contracts and they are full up and won't sign any new ones .
With the tobacco cuts , I am not sure of what types of tobacco that I should be growing to sell . This year I am planning on Bursa , Pa Wrapper , Ct Broad leaf , Habano and maybe Yellow twist bud . Most I have plenty of but I need to keep my supply up for aging .

Here is a list of plant I will have , or hopefully have if the weather permits . These are still small and will take more time to finish them for planting .
Ottoman
Samson
Bursa
Virginia Bright Leaf
K326 Flue cured
Maryland 609
Yellow Twist Bud
Silver River
Burley Tn90 and nc 777
PA Wrapper
Habano 2000
Florida Sumatra
Ct Broadleaf
CT Shade
9.Vuelta Abajo
Rustica
KY 171

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
About the algae - I started my first round of everything in ProMix and it is doing absolutely spectacular. I have tomato plants in my greenhouse with blooms on them already (var. New Girl, seeded on 2/14). However, after that I switched to Bonnie mix from Southern States and it has not been as good. The subsequent tomatoes have been slower to take off, and they've gotten the same treatment otherwise. I always felt like the ProMix was a superior product (it's not fertilized - just innoculated with mycorrhize). What brand of mix are you using to fill your floats?

Also, can I ask why you choose KY171 for around here? I'm trying KY15 this year - figure I can't go wrong with KY varieties around here.

BigBonner

Founding Member
The algae is not a problem unless it continues to rain . WE have had plenty here lately . You can spray with diathane if it starts to make root rot .
This year I used sungrow , I have always used Speedling but I could not find it with out fertilizer .
I have used some from southern states and it just does not grow right . I used two bags this year because the store is close to me . I do not like it at all .

Ky 171 is a dark air / fire variety and if I am not mistaken KY15 is a white stemmed burley .

I chose ky171 because it is supposed to produce an decent wrapper grade leaf . I don't have very many of these plants . I have plenty of dark air / fire left from last seasons grow .

The key with wicking soil is to not pack the soil . I have tiny seedling that I had sewn across 72 cell trays as extra's . The plants are a little bigger than a match head , but their roots are around 2.5 to 3 inches long .
Slow growth may be due to our weather cold and rainy here .

Gavroche

My crop is way smaller than what I use to grow . Phillip Morris has closed their tobacco contract stations here and are not signing any contracts . RJ Reynolds is the only one who is signing contracts and they are full up and won't sign any new ones .

Why ?. They buy somewhere else or the world demand(request) of tobacco collapses?...

Pourquoi, ils achètent ailleurs ou la demande de tabac mondiale s'effondre ?...

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I make my soil mix using..

Miracle grow ( 3 month time release Fertilizer )
Mushroom compost
Cow manure compost
Scott's potting soil
Perlite
Bat guano ( collected by me locally )
Syphofegen peat

All that makes my plants jump.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I am glad that I don't have any problems with bugs . These plant are as organic as a person can get . Nothing has been applied
Here is some more pictures .
exd2KdE.jpg

m0TZJhX.jpg

QHSaBVI.jpg

Trimmed
x9qwoYs.jpg

Smokin Harley

Larry , those plants look great . How old are those (from seed)
Dave, I do have a bumper crop from last years grow ...hoping to do just as well this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.