Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Always having issues with growing corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaryNC

I have had issues growing corn for 3 or more seasons. My soil here is amazingly the same as when I lived in Florida - it is a poor sandy loam. I thought when I moved from Ocala, there would be richer ground for me to grow what I wanted in the new place, but no.

A farmer only a few stones throw from here who grows corn every season was kind enough to advise me on the next crop I grow for this particular soil. Chicken, you may want to pay particular attention here because this probably applies to you.

His exact words were: "Nitrogen the living $h!t out of it. Put down what you think is too much, and then add a little more".

My tomatoes this year are showing a severe calcium deficiency, so I know I need that also. But I will be adding a bunch of nitrogen and till it in next spring.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Are any of you guys growing Silver Queen? It's popular around here and does very well. Tastes great.

Smokin Harley

I don't usually have luck growing corn. it either ends up blown down or I end up with an earful of smut...I tried Silver queen once, I got smut and/or small half empty cobs.

Brown Thumb

I'm doing OK , my stalks never get big but the corn does.
Im growing, Delectable and bodacious again this yr.
They Love Urea. I'm going to split the black plastic open down the center and give them another dose.
I plant corn 3 times 2 to three weeks apart so I plenty over the season.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 2

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Ill be starting the 3rd batch today..so far the first two did nothing..

I had 2 rows for bacca that did nothing..so im gonna fortify the hell out of the soil..With sawdust..the scraps from a cotton gin ( which looks like potting soil and has a lot of microbial activity in it ) chicken poop..cow poop..and dolomite...

And it being in my bacca area..it will get drowned with water and thoughrley fertilized..With granular and liquid fertilizer

And if this dont work...then im done!!!!!!

Smokin Harley

I'm doing OK , my stalks never get big but the corn does.
Im growing, Delectable and bodacious again this yr.
They Love Urea. I'm going to split the black plastic open down the center and give them another dose.
I plant corn 3 times 2 to three weeks apart so I plenty over the season.
How do you get anything from only 2 rows of corn? Corn needs a minimum of 5 to pollinate correctly. The outside rows usually don't get much because of prevailing winds. I see you guys plant like a 3 ft row then have that wide tractor path ...to me looks like a lot of wasted ground. (scratches head in confusion)

Brown Thumb

How do you get anything from only 2 rows of corn? Corn needs a minimum of 5 to pollinate correctly. The outside rows usually don't get much because of prevailing winds. I see you guys plant like a 3 ft row then have that wide tractor path ...to me looks like a lot of wasted ground. (scratches head in confusion)
I shake the tassels over each a couple of times to pollinate them. Works for me.
I got lazy this yr. that's why the row paths are so wide.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
My row is 40' long and 3 plants wide..

Ill have a lot of plants shoved in there.

Brown Thumb

image.jpgFirst harvest of about a dozen and a half Delectable.
I grab them a few days early otherwise the coons will eat them.
no worms either.
The turkeys have been hitting on a few tho.
I pull the silk out pull the husk back over wrap them in foil and chuck them on the grill. Yummy.

Smokin Harley

My corn somehow after the storm blowdowns managed to produce some nice looking ears. I'm picking a few Wednesday night .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got some more planted.. they are about 4'' tall right now.. hopefully theres enough time left in the season for them to make...

this hasnt been a good year at all for my garden.. but i got my bacca patch all hooked up for years to come,

Smokin Harley

haha, Chicken it seems since once we start growing tobacco the veggies kinda take a back seat .
I got lucky this year and everything grew like crazy. like overwhelmingly well.

ArizonaDave

View attachment 18595First harvest of about a dozen and a half Delectable.
I grab them a few days early otherwise the coons will eat them.
no worms either.
The turkeys have been hitting on a few tho.
I pull the silk out pull the husk back over wrap them in foil and chuck them on the grill. Yummy.

Don't forget the butter! My wife has a strange ritual of putting pepper on hers. I've tried it, and joined the world of strange too. Nothing like fresh corn.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20160817_2243_Corn_SenecaRedStalker_400.jpg

In my never ending quest for truth, justice and the American pipe cob, I grew Seneca Red Stalker this year. I'll bet this would make decent masa harina, but none of the ears appear thick enough to make a usable corncob pipe.

So far, I've grown Seneca Red Stalker, Chapalote, Oaxaca Green and Bloody Butcher. The last two in the list made a few cobs that were okay for a small pipe. Next year, I may try the Oaxaca Green with double fertilizer.

Bob

Cigar

I never have..pepper on corn..that is but will give it a try next time..sounds great.

Cigar

squeezyjohn

Nothing beats sweetcorn fresh from the patch! It's a real seasonal treat. This year mine has done unbelievably well here in the UK - I grow a true breeding (not F1) supersweet swiss variety that is short-season ... it makes small cobs - but lots of them. Mine are now 6ft tall with the male flowers and have at least 2 cobs per plant ... I reckon they'll start to ripen in a week or two.

I love growing corn next to my tobacco as they tend to mirror each other in so many ways - plant out at the same time, they grow about the same rate and end up the same height. last year I even dried out the corn husks to use as rolling papers to make Brazilian style roll-your-own cigs and it was very successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.