Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Always having issues with growing corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

I have always put butter,salt and pepper on my sweet corn...Have any of you tried it the mexican way?? sounds strange but its really tasty. Mayonnaise and grated Parmesan cheese with a little red pepper flake.
Bob, I believe I read somewhere that corn cob pipes are made from a specific variety with extra thick cobs....search Missouri Meerchaum pipes ,. http://corncobpipe.com/cobs-pipes.html
Myself I've wanted to find the giant corn grown and used for Corn Nuts.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Missouri Meerschaum uses a "secret" variety of corn. I am relegated to trying non-secret varieties. (Yesterday, I caught myself checking the plumpness of some sweet corn at the local Kroger. But it's usually the kernels that are so nice and plump, rather than the inedible cob.)

Bob

Smokin Harley

I just went ahead and ordered a "variety 10 pack of smokeable seconds" from Missouri Meerschaum. In the end it's like $3 /pipe and as per their reviews , they are entirely smokeable but some have very difficult to find blemishes. I'm not about to try to find cobs of questionable use then wait 2 years for the drying and hardening only to be disappointed. I might even get a churchwarden or General (or multiples of any one or more of a kind) out of the pack...it'll be interesting to see what I get.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...to try to find ...of questionable use then wait 2 years for the drying ...only to be disappointed.
Hmmm. Sounds like some of my home-grown tobacco.

But you'll have to admit that the concept of growing your own pipe has its allure. Like rolling your own cigar, or building your own boat.

I think the MM variety pack seconds are a wonderful deal. If you're interested in cosmetics and fashion, then corncob pipes are probably not the ideal option.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i re-planted me corn and weeklly im doing a regiment of liquid fertilizer to the roots of 12-0-0- plus trace elements. its looking good. but will it make ?

we will see,

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I just pictured that lol.

There are some corn varieties that grow 20 some feet tall, maybe they make big ears I dunno.

As to the giant corn nut variety, that's plain old cow corn that's gone through the nixtamalization cook, dried then fried. Enjoy:)

BigBonner

Founding Member
Yes. Missouri Meerschaum uses a "secret" variety of corn. I am relegated to trying non-secret varieties. (Yesterday, I caught myself checking the plumpness of some sweet corn at the local Kroger. But it's usually the kernels that are so nice and plump, rather than the inedible cob.)

Bob

Could the pipes be made from Boone county white corn ?

If so I have a acre planted this year . Big long white ears but may not be round enough .
We have sweet corn running out our ears this year . Me and my son grew it for our farmers market .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

If so I have a acre planted this year .
Save some fat ones. There's a Boone County in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and probably a bunch more.

One of Missouri Meerschaum's tricks is to spackle the dried cobs with plaster of Paris, so they can actually bore the cob to a thinner wall than for a naked cob.

Bob

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian

If so I have a acre planted this year . Big long white ears but may not be round enough .
We have sweet corn running out our ears this year . Me and my son grew it for our farmers market .

Larry, look into "Hickory Cane" (not Hickory King). Southern Exposure carries it. Apparently it makes a colossal plant and ear. I have a pound that I'm probably not going to get to plant anytime soon. I'd be happy to donate it if you're thinking of growing some cobs. That's why I got it. I also hear the corn is good in liquid applications.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
liquid applications,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i do love me some home made liquor,

BigBonner

Founding Member
Larry, look into "Hickory Cane" (not Hickory King). Southern Exposure carries it. Apparently it makes a colossal plant and ear. I have a pound that I'm probably not going to get to plant anytime soon. I'd be happy to donate it if you're thinking of growing some cobs. That's why I got it. I also hear the corn is good in liquid applications.

This Boone county is Tall . The ear is over six ft from the ground and the top is probably 15 tall . I am guessing . My silage corn lays next to this white corn and it makes my silage corn look short .

I think my son planted a little hickory king somewhere . Hickory cane I am not sure he has planted any of that one .

I thought about planting some shade tobacco using the boone county white as shade . Maybe 4 rows of corn and 4 rows of Shade tobacco .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
''silage corn'' ??? you got cows. big-b

we do a lot of silage in my area.... mainlly from dairies,

sometimes i get some and add it to my compost. it makes a good additive, along with the other 10+ things i add to it,,

yesterday i got some pelletized chicken manure. how they did that i dont know...

BigBonner

Founding Member
''silage corn'' ??? you got cows. big-b

we do a lot of silage in my area.... mainlly from dairies,

sometimes i get some and add it to my compost. it makes a good additive, along with the other 10+ things i add to it,,

yesterday i got some pelletized chicken manure. how they did that i dont know...

I have 54 cows plus their calves . I loose several calves to coyotes , bob cats , lightning and possibly neighbors . They graze 320 acres of hilly land and it is impossible to see them all at one time , unless it is winter . Then they stay down where I feed hay and silage . Feeding Silage cuts my hay consumption in half and is better for my cows .

My son has 20+ cows of his own .He grows around 3 acres of produce . We have a 30 acres of soybeans , 150 acres of hay ground and 22.5 acres of dove fields that I grow for fish and wildlife for dove season .
I only have a garden size tobacco patch this year of around 3 acres . Big tobacco ( Phillip Morris ) has left farmers here for cheaper tobacco from other countries . RJ Reynolds is still buying but I don't have a contract with them. Farmers who do have a little tobacco are begging for tobacco labor help and there is none around . Or at least anyone who will work .

I am still hoping for better years but I am not seeing tobacco farming coming back like we used to have .

Last edited:

wrapper

Hey BigBonner, I hear you. My region of the Western Cape used to support many farms that planted only tobacco. Then it was tobacco and fruit, especially grapes. Then wine grapes and maybe some tobacco. Right now there are zero commercial tobacco producers here. But the barns and equipment are here to be seen, like relics, ghosts of the past. Maybe Big Tobacco (and the excise duty) kill it for the smaller producer. Maybe India and China crowd the market place, cheap cheap. So I see the way forward is to add value on site. Make a product and sell it: get known for quality, personal touch, relationships etc. I have done this with my liquor products in the face of Big Booze and gotten away with it so far!!

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is a picture of our corn . The patch on the right is silage corn and is around 10 ft tall the left side is Boone County white corn and is a lot taller . Ears are at or above 6 ft from the ground .
We left a strip of grass between the corn fields and there is sunflowers in there .
CXTMuF7.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That looks like a privacy fence/Bambi caller to me.

huh, maybe something to think about over the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.