Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Always having issues with growing corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverstone

A friend of mine grows silage corn for his dairy cows and the contractor drills the first run on the outside with Honey Pearl sweetcorn. The cows don't get it but it is share out among the nieghbours . A good reason to get him back next year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That looks like a privacy fence/Bambi caller to me.

huh, maybe something to think about over the winter.

if you want a living privacy fence i can send you some '' castor bean '' seed it makes a big plant and if planted 3 deep u wont see thru them but the seed itself is very poisionous..... look it up. and p.m. me id be glad to send you 100+ of them..i grow them each year and collect the seed, even though i dont need to i got 1,000+ seed allready.

they use the seed to make reisign.... very bad poision. if a dog eats them it's dead... done had it happen. but it was a friends dog... my dogs have never messed with them.. or my free range chickens when i had them,

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ricin is no joke, that's for sure. If I didn't have two little ones I'd probably grow it out just for the hell of it.

Corn and deer seems all around a better idea for me though but thanks for the offer, normally I'm all over growing unusual stuff:)

Brown Thumb

Jeesh I got problems cooking it.image.jpg
I usually chuck it on grill Husked.
They freaking husked it last night and thru it in the fridge unwrapped.
WTF.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pull the silk, leave the husk. Pull husk down, slather with butter and bbq sauce pull husk back up then wrap in tinfoil. Toss in the coals of a campfire for a bit, I like it left in for a good while until it's charred in parts. Mmmm

Brown Thumb

Pull the silk, leave the husk. Pull husk down, slather with butter and bbq sauce pull husk back up then wrap in tinfoil. Toss in the coals of a campfire for a bit, I like it left in for a good while until it's charred in parts. Mmmm
I meant unhusked. I pull the silk and add the butter and salt & pepper after its cooked.
I threw them in a pot of boiling water with a bunch of my super hot pepper dust. They weren't too bad.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You know, for fast and easy corn that is surprisingly good take an ear off the plant, slice a circle down to the cob around the the broad end. Microwave for 5 minutes (1kw models at least) take it out and squeeze the narrow end. All the silk and the husk comes right off and it's ready for butter and salt.

Steams in it's own husk and has great fresh flavor.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive never grilled corn....

ive grilled it wrapped in aluminum foil with water and butter in it.... but just throwing the husk covered corn on the grill '' never done it ''

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Give it a try sometime. Did you have better luck this season?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I love parched dry corn on a cast iron skillet. Shell them from the cob first. Goes good with a little salt. Makes a great snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.