Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Always having issues with growing corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I don't know what I'm doing wrong..it isn't the Fertilizer.. I got that covered..I mix a combo of chicken manure/ sawdust in the soil..just like the farmers in my area do for growing field corn..

So this year I'm growing some field corn..but I also got some store bought seed...it's a sugar enhanced hybrid..so we will see how it goes..and which one does better..and perhaps the cross pollination will give me a better seed for next year..

I'd like to hear how some of you do your corn. Crop and your success rate.

Smokin Harley

I feel for you...I just cant seem to grow spinach. One of the "easiest" early vegetables to grow and I can't do it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My father is doing a garden in my tobacco spot since I'm taking a season off. He didn't let me know in time to start his seed indoors for him so he's planting the corn seed straight to the garden. The crows are digging them up faster than he can plant them. I need to do some crow hunting. He says we can hang up a couple dead crows and they will leave the patch alone. Anyone have any luck doing that?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Farmers near me that grow corn use dead crows as scarecrows, say nothing works nearly as good, makes sense they're pretty smart. Alternatively if you use dead crows and prop them up all life-like you'll attract crows, so make em look dead.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken,
When you say you have "issues" with growing corn, I'm not sure what you mean.
  • plants don't come up?
  • plants come up, but grow only runty stalks?
  • plants grow good stalks, but small ears of corn?
  • plants grow good stalks, but poorly filled ears?
  • plants grow good stalks and good, well filled ears, but don't taste good?
Bob

Brown Thumb

I have had a lot better luck using the black pastic mulch the same as the Baccy patch and garden.
I use a 3/4 in copper pipe 4 fl long and plug holes ever 12 inches in two rows 6 inches from center of each other about 2 inches deep in each row.
_ - _- _- _ - _ I drop 2 seeds in each hole and cover over with a little dirt. I yank the the runt out if I get two growing. Most of the time I do in each hole.
The only problem I get is the freaking Geese like to yank them out when they get about 3 in. Tall.
Also shake the tassles to pollinate the other corn next to it.
They say clear plastic mulch is the best for corn. I never tried it tho.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
My issue is..the plant grows lanky..and the ears are too small to do anything with...

My corn spot isn't in full sun..but most of the day they are.perhaps I need to move my corn spot..I been downing some limbs..to get more sun.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
How is the spacing? That's one reason for small ears. You're not new at growing though so I'm sure you are thinking of everything.

Maybe your genetics? Try growing some modern hybrids in case you haven't already

Smokin Harley

are you planting the seeds deep enough(or TOO deep ) ? in slightly raised rows? I was told back in my horticultural school days that years ago farmers would plow their fields up in furrows , plant both the hill and the furrow . That way if it was a dry year the furrows would grow and a wet year the hills would grow. Somewhere in the middle - bumper crop. Is your soil nutrient depleted from the tobacco?
I live in the corn belt . Our soil up here is loamy and dark ,almost black. Not sure if your Florida soil is right for corn. Without a good soil test though its just a string of guesses. Hope you get it figured out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have to cut branches, the tree roots are likely a problem, in addition to shade. I would suggest moving to a full-sun area, if possible, and planting in blocks, rather than long rows. (Corn is wind-pollinated.) You can also snap off a mature tassel and use it to "dust" all the exposed silks, in order to insure pollination.

Also, some of the hybrid "super-sweet" varieties don't work if other corn varieties are nearby. They must exclusively pollinate from that specific variety.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If you have to cut branches, the tree roots are likely a problem, in addition to shade. I would suggest moving to a full-sun area, if possible, and planting in blocks, rather than long rows. (Corn is wind-pollinated.) You can also snap off a mature tassel and use it to "dust" all the exposed silks, in order to insure pollination.

Also, some of the hybrid "super-sweet" varieties don't work if other corn varieties are nearby. They must exclusively pollinate from that specific variety.

Bob

Good info there..and yes my corn is in blocks..one big square of about 11 rows..maybe 20'/long..

No roots though..at least none that the tiller hit.16"/ down.

Brown Thumb

I plant in rows but they are wide. I have rows of different types and never had a problem. You just can't replant the corn.
My sweet corn don't get huge like cow corn , dent corn ect.
Urea a couple of weeks before planting and hit them again when they start to tassle.
Where's the Butter:)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
My favorite sweet is cow corn in the milk stage. Once you get tired of corn on the cob the rest can be made into grits, tortillas etc. Another nice thing about cow corn is you have to really mess up for it not to produce. Big agro, evil Monsanto, call em what you want but they breed some GOOD corn.

Brown Thumb

Maybe I like Starchy, :confused:
I will have to find the seed packs I grew last yr. I Know 2 were hybrids.
I forget the other two,
They also like lots of water sprinkler water too.

squeezyjohn

I had awful luck with sweetcorn for years, I tried all sorts of expensive F1 varieties supposed to make lovely sweet cobs, but they were always too fragile, grew badly in my conditions and only ever made a single cob per plant (if that!). I'd almost given up on them until I had a last try with a type called Swiss special sweetcorn - these are not an F1, they breed true, so have the added bonus of being able to select your own seed from the strongest plants for next year getting further good adaptation to my own conditions. They are a super-sweet variety making plenty of small-medium sized cobs per plant and the difference in how healthy they were was remarkable!

I'm not saying this variety is the answer in Florida ... it would probably be the wrong climate. But it does go to show that you have to try lots of types to get the right one for your own conditions.

ChinaVoodoo

When I dost see gardens inhabited by tall and fair corn, I don ye old longbow and make ready, for there's bound to be unicorns nigh, and nothing can compare to the tenderloin thereof, I tell ye.

Status
Not open for further replies.