Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bad, bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptsparkle

It happened this morning. The FDA is now going to regulate cigars. Not just the little machine-made types but hand rolled real cigars we've all been smoking for years.Read this http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/ucm388395.htmNow read the specifics on cigars here http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm482562.htmSo, how is this going to affect us? We are all just Joe schmuckatellys who imbibe in a hobby. How will we be affected?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
(your links take me to "page not found") Hopefully it's a regulation and not a law. Maybe we can hope to see some reversals here and there after a regime change.

webmost

The inevitable tobaccolypse approaches nearer every day. The only solution is to stock up on leaves.

webmost

O'er the la-and of the regulated,
And the home of the circumspect.

Play Ball!

AmaxB

Read this this morning main target (e-cigs) but some forms of tobacco lumped in as well. Cigar and roll your own package labels included.
I see E-Cigs going the way of the roll your own Filling Stations...

cptsparkle

It happened this morning. The FDA is now going to regulate cigars. Not just the little machine-made types but hand rolled real cigars we've all been smoking for years.Read this http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/ucm388395.htmNow read the specifics on cigars here http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm482562.htmSo, how is this going to affect us? We are all just Joe schmuckatellys who imbibe in a hobby. How will we be affected?
Whoops, my bad. Here are the correct links. http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/ucm388395.htm http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm482562.htm

ChinaVoodoo

I see a silver lining. Pipe tobacco manufacturers who claim they are all natural will not be able to get away with their lies any more.

AmaxB

I'll need to read those docs, the report I read stated that all e-cigs individual products (not brands) from 2007 on will need a separate application field for each. To receive approval for sale and the application fee could be around one million dollar per product. OUCH!!

BigBonner

Founding Member
For all the ready made smokers I believe this mean you will be paying more to smoke .Tobacco companies will raise prices to get their money back .

chuditch

Australia has just increased its tobacco excise by 12.5% a year for the next four years so a packet of cigarettes will cost $40

AmaxB

Has anyone else noticed the dramatic change in social behavior/attitude since nicotine has been villainized?

Just sayin'

A good number of customers tell us they smoke outside while at home...... We have seen a number of customers take up E-Cigs with about half returning to tobacco.... The social pressure is huge....
We sell E-cigs but carry a basic selection
Once the county paid a visit, told me no smoking in my building. They were told my building my rules, post a guard 24/7 it has been at least 3 years now with no sign of them.

I allow people to try tobacco before they buy- they are delighted to find they don't have to go outside to do so.

ChinaVoodoo

I'll need to read those docs, the report I read stated that all e-cigs individual products (not brands) from 2007 on will need a separate application field for each. To receive approval for sale and the application fee could be around one million dollar per product. OUCH!!

I just met some guys starting a new cigar company. I hope this doesn't ruin them.

smokesec

Hey everyone, long time no talk. I actually tried coming on here the other day when this ruling came out but the forum seemed to be down.

This is exactly why I got out of the retail tobacco business in 2013. I saw the writing on the wall. Granted, I thought it was going to happen sooner than 2016 - but I knew it was coming.

I've scanned through the new ruling - it's nearly 500 pages. It is my further prediction virtually all small tobacco shops who were focused on catering to RYO customers (as I was) are going to get killed by this. This essentially allows the FDA to determine what constitutes cigarette tobacco, pipe tobacco, etc as they see fit. All this mislabeled "pipe tobacco" & "dual use" tobacco is going to end up being taxed just like cigarettes... which will effectively erase most cost savings for RYO'ers.

The media mainly focused on the whole vaping aspect, but in reality it's just as bad all the way around.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So basically the only people not affected by this is people like Phillip Morris and their peers right?

Wonder if this is the result of some good old fashioned somehow not illegal lobbying?

Status
Not open for further replies.