Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

MikeTheNewGuy 'I'm doing this wrong' Grow Blog 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTheNewGuy

Thanks for the input. The criollo and Vuelta abajo are much smaller than last year when they started to show flower buds but other than that everything is looking good.

MikeTheNewGuy

Topped the 2 criollo that had flowers about to open. Comstock spanish looks like it will be the next to be topped maybe this weekend. There is also a Vuelta abajo that should be ready to top in a few days too.

ChinaVoodoo

Seeing as there's still a couple months to grow, you could train a single high sucker on the ones you topped to become the new main stem.

ChinaVoodoo

It's something I learned from a bonsai book, and it worked on a 8' Ohio buckeye tree I had. The main trunk was damaged at the top so I trimmed it to the next highest branch and after five years, it straightened out enough to almost look like it was the original trunk. I did it with a few Pergeu Brazil plants last year that flowered early. It worked alright.

MikeTheNewGuy

20160610_110047-1.jpg
Havana 608, criollo, Vuelta abajo
20160610_110033-1.jpg
Little dutch, olor, Comstock spanish
20160610_105936-1.jpg
The fam

We have some more pictures of the patch today. The comstock spanish or the Vuelta abajo will be the next plants topped not sure when though the flower buds are there bud still pretty well below the leaf tips. I have a rogue Vuelta abajo that could be topped tomorrow but I want to try and top each variety all together to make harvesting a little less complicated.

Small bud heads are forming in the little dutch, havana 608 is taking its sweet old time as is the olor. But the olor isn't messing around and is putting on size whereas the havana 608 is dragging it's feet.

Either Comstock spanish or Vuelta abajo are the tallest right now but either the olor or Comstock spanish has the biggest leaves. The olor should end up towering over the rest of the garden if it has its way with things. Hopefully I'll have some nice olor wrappers this fall.

MikeTheNewGuy

Just a quick picture of the tobacco patch from this morning. The comstock spanish is all progressing nicely with all showing flower heads now, I should be topping by the end of the week. Vuelta abajo isn't far behind with one plant ready to top and the others a week or so behind. Still no sign of flowers for the havana 608 or the olor but we have lots of time yet. I'm just excited to see some large leaves.

Attachments

• 20160613_100106-1.jpg
    20160613_100106-1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6

DGBAMA

Nice color. Seems early for flowering.

It appears the grass around the patches is competing for water/nutrients. For the most part your best looking ones are at the center.

MikeTheNewGuy

I agree with you I tried to put in too many rows in the space I had. That being said the criollo and Vuelta abajo were in almost the exact same place last year and did much better overall but this year lacked vigor from the start. As for the other end with the little dutch I stunted it as a seedling more than once so I'm happy they're even alive at this point but the grass probably isn't helping.

Next season I will be sure to plan my spacing accordingly to stay away from the edges. But I will also try harder at taking more care during the seedling stage.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All of my tobacco beds are 5' wide, and surrounded by well established sod. Those toward the center and those toward the sides seem to grow equally well. I aim for at least a 9" space between the tobacco plant and the sod, and 18-22" between plants.

Bob

MikeTheNewGuy

Thank you for the input Bob. I wanted this year to be more of an exploration of varieties with next season having more plants of fewer varieties. I do like how you organize your plots with generally one variety per bed. I may borrow your design next season!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I sew my bud bags on a sewing machine, using Agribon AG-15 spun fabric row cover material. Some folks have been happy using paint strainer bags, which come in 1 gallon and 5 gallon sizes, and are available at home improvement stores. Although my sewn bags are closer to 5 gallon size (maybe 3 to 4 gal), I believe that the 1 gallon size has been successful.

Bob

Smokin Harley

What is everyone using for flower bags? I want to bag some plants but don't know what to use.

go to your local home improvement store , paint section. find some 5 gallon paint strainer bags,they're white . they come singly , 2 or 3 to a bag for a few dollars. I'm sure you could buy them in bulk like a quantity of 50 per box.

Brown Thumb

Thats what I use . They last 2 seasons before the start to degrade.

burge

I would buy some leaves To age this takes time and Don's is properly aged. Some are 6 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.