Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Got another project Troybilt to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

As per usual I had been doing seemingly endless overtime and one morning over coffee I saw on our local "man cave" sale/trade page via Facebook advertising a basket case Troybilt Horse for sale relatively cheap. I'd been playing phone and message tag with the seller for over a week and after my being laid off on Wednesday ...yesterday I finally got a last minute schedule match to go get it. Took my stepson with me to help load . The seller didn't have time to work on it as he had hoped .He was a young guy ,EMT,he had bought it in pieces from the original owner (some mechanical shop owner) who had blown the original motor (Tecumseh,I'm guessing) and so took a brand new B&S motor off his shop shelf to replace it, its never even had fuel in it yet. The tine shroud is shop custom fabricated to manufacturers specs out of stainless steel. The paint on the Horse is darn near faded out to pink and there is quite a bit of surface rust. Nothing a wire brush and sandpaper can't take care of. Looked it over - then he produces the tubs of parts. Brand new belts and reverse disk in sealed bags and the bolts to attach the shroud. Only thing I really need to do besides reassembly is to make sure the lever engages to operate the transmission to the wheels ...I'd order some lug tires and re-paint it(epoxy), order a NOS/repro decal set too. Gave the young man the $120 he asked for it and away we went. I figure the new motor alone is worth a hundred and the stainless shroud is worth $20 as scrap. If this doesn't work out I can at least part it out and get my money back. I don't doubt though that it will live again. These things don't die easily.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Sounds like the basket case I got...although it sounds mines in better shape than yours..the one I got that runs is having issues..I thing something has the gear box jammed..when I engage it..the pulley running the main drive don't spin..thus smoking the belt.

I seen one on our local sale site for $500...if you get it going and sell it..you will make a profit...I got my little Troy bilt pony to do my tilling for me right now...I'll work on my horse later...

Because I got a old 70's. Era attachment that they sold.for small garden tractors...that I'm gonna drag around my garden using a 4. Wheeler...and cement blocks on it for weight to push it in the ground.

But that was a. Good find.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Yeah let's see some pics of it..and I'll post up my basket case..

Hopefully next year I'm gonna try to have a small garden tractor..and aqquire a lot of attachments... I seen a nice one in my area for $900...I'll post pics of it later...right now I got the mothers day project going on.

Smoking a Boston butt..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I love the old tractors, but lately have had no time, so I'm selling em all, down to 1 and a newish John Deere that isn't a quarter of what the old ones were but when something let's go I can replace it within a half an hour.

Those older units really are something special though.

Maybe when I'm older I'll get another and restore it.

If you wanna turn a profit regularly restore them before last frost and post on craigslist, people are like seasonal piranhas on that site.

Smokin Harley

I'll tell ya. I was wishing my mom a happy mothers day this morning and dad got on the phone. asked how my lawn tractor was ..Its a 2 yr old craftsman , last one I'll ever buy. junk. Next one will be either green and yellow or yellow and white.

ArizonaDave

I'll tell ya. I was wishing my mom a happy mothers day this morning and dad got on the phone. asked how my lawn tractor was ..Its a 2 yr old craftsman , last one I'll ever buy. junk. Next one will be either green and yellow or yellow and white.

Craftsman USED to be good. Unfortunately, they've tanked in quality in this economy. Just plant all tobacco. It'll go up in value, where grass in your yard won't ;)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
heres my basket case,

..IMG_20160508_125231205.jpgIMG_20160508_125238753.jpg

my good one with a jammed tranny

...IMG_20160508_125247295.jpgIMG_20160508_125253511.jpg

and the little pony '' old faithfull'' that i got from a junkyard,,, threw a belt and motor on it and .. BAM works like a charm

...IMG_20160508_125436909.jpg

but hopefully by next year ill have one of these. i been keeping my eyes open for attachments that way when the time comes.. i'll know where they are at... thats the good thing about my job.. i go to farms all day long

...IMG_20160506_144319341.jpgIMG_20160506_144349217.jpgIMG_20160504_101020435.jpgIMG_20160504_100944427.jpg

and i ran across this little gem.. it would look awesome on a 4x4 frame,

..IMG_20160505_112915976.jpg

the guy has 2 of them exactlly alike.. ones missing a bed and grill ... but the other one is complete.

Smokin Harley

I like that little tractor ...what is it ?
and how is the truck project coming along?
If the guy has 2 identical trucks like that (all the glass is there??), you better buy both of them.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Tractor is hot, wheel horse right? Looks like late 70's-80's that someone changed a few things around on and added ag tires? At least it does from 4" display;)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
The tractor is a "" yanamara""..and the trucks going good..I got the style hood I was looking for...still haven't got the 2nd truck..but it ain't going nowhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.