Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

HARVESTING GREEN AS OPPOSED TO YELLOWING LEAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladaok

Has anyone noticed, that sun / air cured green leaf, seems to colour up much darker, seems thicker and more leathery than a mature yellowed leaf from the same plant .... or am I smoking the wrong stuff ?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I pick a lot of mine green..they will turn yellow while drying..as long as u didn't use too much nitrogen on them...6-6-18..is bacca n-p-k.

DGBAMA

Has anyone noticed, that sun / air cured green leaf, seems to colour up much darker, seems thicker and more leathery than a mature yellowed leaf from the same plant .... or am I smoking the wrong stuff ?

That is also influenced by stalk position, upper leaves tend to be thicker than lower.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My flue-cured types of tobacco seem to perform best (retain a better and more uniform yellow color) in the flue-curing chamber when harvested at a ripe (yellowing) stage. My cigar types of tobacco do best when harvested at a greener stage. For the latter, I often wait to see a very slight yellow tip before priming.

I believe that, for cigar leaf, allowing it to yellow in the shed slows the color transition, and in a humid shed environment, encourages a darker, richer color.

Bob

ladaok

One reason I mention it is, that in my other thread on ( a picture paints .... ) I noticed that the pion hauling away cut leaf draped over sticks looked very green, with the occasional dark yellow in the mix. In the background of one shot, there stands a rickety old wood barn ( drying shed I guess ) ..... so who taught who ?

I believe that, for cigar leaf, allowing it to yellow in the shed slows the color transition, and in a humid shed environment, encourages a darker, richer color.

Bob

* I agree with stalk position,

* & next season i'll try the nitrogen mix

Orson Carte

I pick a lot of mine green..they will turn yellow while drying..as long as u didn't use too much nitrogen on them...6-6-18..is bacca n-p-k.

I've recently had a soil test done and in preparation for next season trying to research just what is needed in the way of fertiliser. So, I'm interested in your reference to 6-6-18 NPK. Are you saying that this mixture is the ideal fertiliser mix for tobacco? All types? If so, at what stage is it applied?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I put down granular at planting and at knee high, spray miracle grow like every 2 weeks, with 1 more after topping. Never burned anything and the only thing that stunts them is if I didn't dig down deeply enough and it encountered rocks. Deer stunted a grow. Once.

As to the npk ratio it depends on your soil, personally i'd never use something that low in nitrogen. MG is close to 20-20-20 but I forget the exact numbers.

Cigar

so gald this subject has been brought up..I was just asking a member here when to stop/slow down on my fertilizing as get close to harvest..I just topped all few plants yesterday and last dose of fertizler was like 3-days ago hope doing correct thing on my timing ?? by the way I use my so-called "fish fertilizer" so its not as strong as others.

Smokin Harley

I've recently had a soil test done and in preparation for next season trying to research just what is needed in the way of fertiliser. So, I'm interested in your reference to 6-6-18 NPK. Are you saying that this mixture is the ideal fertiliser mix for tobacco? All types? If so, at what stage is it applied?
that (6-6-18)is the formulation for (commercially sold) tobacco specific fertilizer. One would assume since we are growing for a leaf that nitrogen content should be higher but too much will affect combustion negatively.
This in mind- last year I used a higher nitrogen formulation and I had a decent grow...BUT my leaf seems to have a consistent combustion problem .
This year I used a much lower formulation and had a much better grow ,bigger plants, bigger leaves . Still curing so I can't comment on the combustion just yet.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
IMG_20160425_125302271.jpgIMG_20160425_125314202.jpgIMG_20160425_125323241.jpg

this is the tobacco read-out sheet... of all the fertilizer i deliver to commercial farms... its also important to pay attention to the trace elements in the mix. i was told that beans also like this mix,

but it has boron in it.. and not all crops like boron,

Status
Not open for further replies.