Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Multiple varieties in a single row

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

A lot of us plant in "double staggered" rows. Trying something a little different this year.

Instead of a row section being one variety, I will plant the left half with an early maturing stalk harvest type and the right half with a later maturing flue cure type which is primed.

I have noted in the past that leaves in the middle of the staggered rows are a little thinner and don't mature quite as well, so my thought is pair early and late, stalk harvest will essentially leave the later maturing ones in single rows that let the leaves that would normally be shaded in the middle get more light and mature better.

Input welcome.

Brown Thumb

I get confused really easy.
I have a tendency to screw up a straight row of the same type:eek:

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
A cheap fix for this is to label each plant with a cut section of venetian blind. They're hard to stick in the ground, but everyone has a few sets around. I used them in lieu of commercial tags because of the cost savings. Or you could label every third plant in each row just to keep it straight.

DGBAMA

No labeling issues, I simply have 2 varieties, single row each, per "double row".

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The only time I did double row was Orientals. Izmir and Prilep. Spacing was about 6" in a double row. Since spacing was so close I clumped the varieties together rather than doing a row of each. I drove a 2' layout stake with variety written in permanent marker at the beginning of the Prilep, planted the double row of Prilep then drove another stake labeled Izmir and set out the double row of Izmir. It was easy to keep separate, plus at harvest time I didn't have to worry about which row I was priming, just which clump of plants. They get pretty mixed up when spacing is close.

Smokin Harley

I did staggered double rows last year and I didn't notice much of a one sided or one ended growth difference. I did however plant my rows north to south try to put the shortest variety (LIttle Dutch ) to the far west so it got the relatively same amount of direct sunlight hours that the plants on the far eastern most side got. So, the morning hours were cooler and the late afternoon hours warmer, the same amount of sun got to everyone. BUT, keep in mind it was my first season. We also got nailed with 3 occasions of heavy rains that flooded out portions of the garden. those damned variables get me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.