Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tomatoes and Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
i think you have some thing thare amegen macdonels with the tomator beger pople will eat the beager and get hucked and need at least one a day i smell profets

Whats that in engless, Are you transplanted to florida from cajun country.

Tom_in_TN

Speaking of tobacco and tomatoes, This I have been suckering my tomato plants everything down below the first blooms . Anyone have any info on this.? I figure if suckering tobacco makes better leaf than pinching off tomato plant suckers might put more energy into the fruit. I'm experimenting this year.
I do the same thing, BarG. Plus, when transplanting they go in as deep as possible, up to the first true leaves. I also sucker at least the next 3 to 5 branches to get bigger tomatoes. After the vines grows taller it is too much time to keep all the suckers pinched off. You can also root the suckers in some water or wet soil and start new plants. Some times I will pinch the 1st bloom cluster to keep the ripe tomatoes up out of the dirt. I expect tobacco suckers would also root in wet soil too.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats cool Tom, I wont be doing anything other than what you described on the suckers. I may periodicly pinch a few. Ive alresdy noticed a slight increase in viable blooms. The caterpillars just now let off a bit. I,ve been hand picking about 50 plants. They are taking off now. Ive got cages for them all so that keeps them up off the ground. I won't have to deal with my best tomatos hittin the ground.The first time around is usualy the best time around.

ashaggyone

If tomato and tobacco are this closely related will it follow that Basil improves the flavor of tobacco in a similar way? I believe it does give my maters a better flavor, and keeping it pinched and low to the ground helps to keep weeds down and moisture up.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
If tomato and tobacco are this closely related will it follow that Basil improves the flavor of tobacco in a similar way? I believe it does give my maters a better flavor, and keeping it pinched and low to the ground helps to keep weeds down and moisture up.
Try fresh basil with your mater sandwiches -- MMMmmmmm

BarG

Founding Member
I do the same thing, BarG. Plus, when transplanting they go in as deep as possible, up to the first true leaves. I also sucker at least the next 3 to 5 branches to get bigger tomatoes. After the vines grows taller it is too much time to keep all the suckers pinched off. You can also root the suckers in some water or wet soil and start new plants. Some times I will pinch the 1st bloom cluster to keep the ripe tomatoes up out of the dirt. I expect tobacco suckers would also root in wet soil too.

This year I pruned most every thing below the first blossoms. Its not supposed to produce more but perhaps better. I generaly have a really good tomato crop so its hard to say if it made a difference, I think it did. I'm sure theres more techniques for after first picking to the pruning. An average of 15-20 large tomatos on each plant for first pickings soon to ripen

Status
Not open for further replies.