Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tomatoes and Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZantetsukenSP

This may be a silly question, but I will ask anyway. I am growing both tobacco and tomatoes this year, and I wanted to know if they cross pollinate. Also, if they do, will it affect the flavor of my tomatoes? I am new to growing things, and apologize if this is silly.:confused:

Thanks,
Scott

BigBonner

Founding Member
I don't know how everyone else feels about putting tobacco and tomatoes together in the same field . But here is what I do . I plant a field of tobacco and sometime I plant tomatoes two rows of tomatoes in the middle from the beginning and out the rows 150 ft or so with nothing but tomatoe plants and It will produce the best tomatoes that I will have . I raise the big german pink , Big reds and canning tomatoes .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
They do not cross pollinate but you are not supposed to plant them close together because you can transmit tobacco mosaic disease ( I think). With that said, I always plant a row of tomatoes right next to my tobacco. I tried to graft a tomato onto a tobacco plant last year like Homer Simpson did but I had too much trouble getting my grafting tape to wrap correctly.

ZantetsukenSP

They do not cross pollinate but you are not supposed to plant them close together because you can transmit tobacco mosaic disease ( I think). With that said, I always plant a row of tomatoes right next to my tobacco. I tried to graft a tomato onto a tobacco plant last year like Homer Simpson did but I had too much trouble getting my grafting tape to wrap correctly.

Ok, so if I top my tobacco, and bag the few flowers that I want to keep for seeds, then should I have anything to worry about? Would this prevent the mosaic disease?

Thanks,
Scott

Steve2md

You probably have nothing to worry about anyways, since tobacco mosaic should only effect the leaves and not the fruit of your tomatoes, but topping and bagging couldn't hurt

wazzappenning

d'oh, i caught this one too late. i was gonna say, you guys watch too much simpsons. lol. tomatoes that taste like ralph wiggums grandma.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Actually it was called tomacco. It was a tomato with nicotine in it. The funny thing is, you can really graft one. I do not think I would eat the fruit though.

Steve2md

Actually it was called tomacco. It was a tomato with nicotine in it. The funny thing is, you can really graft one. I do not think I would eat the fruit though.

tomatoes already have a small amount of nicotine in them, as do all members of the nightshade family, albeit most have only trace amounts. granted, if you graft a tomacco the levels will be alot higher. I wouldn't think the flavor would be effected much, provided you used a tomato variety with a strong flavor.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have saved seed for 15 + years now and they still look like and taste like tomatoes to me .

In the event that they change I will be rich . How many would like nicotine tomatoe on their sandwich ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible to graft fairly distant plant relatives to one another (cherry and pear to an apple tree, etc.). Cross pollination, however, is quite difficult between different species of the same genus. Most non-tabacum tobacco species will not effectively pollinate N. tabacum. One of the underlying problems is that the chromosome number often doesn't match between the two, and even when it does, the information (genes) on specific chromosomes are frequently scrambled in a different pattern. N. tabacum pollen is apparently capable of crossing to a Nicotiana rustica blossom. So unbagged rustica may produce some hinky seed.

Tomato x tobacco cross-pollination seems improbable.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
They do not cross pollinate but you are not supposed to plant them close together because you can transmit tobacco mosaic disease ( I think).
I am a smoker and when I handle my tomato plants I wear plastic gloves. That said, my tomaotes and tobacco were only separted by about 10 ft. and I had no problems.

John

Steve2md

on a successfully grafted tomacco, will the seeds produce more tomacco, or must you graft each plant? also, the fruit is edible, but are the leaves smoke-able? not that I plan on attempting it (probably) , but I'm curious none the less...

BarG

Founding Member
Speaking of tobacco and tomatoes, This I have been suckering my tomato plants everything down below the first blooms . Anyone have any info on this.? I figure if suckering tobacco makes better leaf than pinching off tomato plant suckers might put more energy into the fruit. I'm experimenting this year.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Speaking of tobacco and tomatoes, This I have been suckering my tomato plants everything down below the first blooms . Anyone have any info on this.? I figure if suckering tobacco makes better leaf than pinching off tomato plant suckers might put more energy into the fruit. I'm experimenting this year.

There is only one way to tell if this will work . Send them to me and I will test them for free .I would say about one dozen per week should be enough to test .
I also test Strawberries , watermellons , sweet corn , Rib eyes anything pertaining to food .

BarG

Founding Member
You got it BB, I have a great veggie garden this year. The spring rains were great but were ready for more now. Hopefully next week. You can call me anything as long as you call me to dinner.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You got it BB, I have a great veggie garden this year. The spring rains were great but were ready for more now. Hopefully next week. You can call me anything as long as you call me to dinner.
I believe that line is "Call me anything but late for supper." ;<))

John

mackavally

i think you have some thing thare amegen macdonels with the tomator beger pople will eat the beager and get hucked and need at least one a day i smell profets

Status
Not open for further replies.