Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Orientation of the shed of drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

How I aim at 300 plants, I have to build a small shelter of drying, what is the best orientation? Opening in the South?
And for 300 plants, what dimensions(size)?

Orientation du hangar de séchage.

comme je vise 300 plants, il faut que je construise un petit abri de séchage, quelle est la meilleure orientation ? ouverture au sud ?
et pour 300 plants, quelles dimensions ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At a minimum, you will need about 30 square meters for primed leaf or about 15 square meters for whole stalks.

I would suggest building 50% larger than the minimum.

If the shed is square, then the orientation will not matter. If it is rectangular, then the long side facing the South may provide more heat. If your weather tends to be cool during the curing season, then warmer is better. If your weather is too dry during the curing season, then warmer becomes a problem.

Bob

Smokin Harley

How I aim at 300 plants, I have to build a small shelter of drying, what is the best orientation? Opening in the South?
And for 300 plants, what dimensions(size)?

Orientation du hangar de séchage.

comme je vise 300 plants, il faut que je construise un petit abri de séchage, quelle est la meilleure orientation ? ouverture au sud ?
et pour 300 plants, quelles dimensions ?
My grow last year netted at roughly what I have again this year...126 plants.
Most of which yielded its expected leaf number and size. Few gave me less but few again gave me sucker growth which made up for the loss of the others...this is neither here nor there but Lets say for average round numbers ,I had 130 plants. My garden shed is 10 x 10 (ft) of gambrel design ,with a ceiling height of average 7 ft. ,floor is plywood .4 ft wide double door is south facing with a low door jamb height of only 6 ft , so there is approximately 12 inches of head space inside the shed(barn) which holds some heat. However. Both north and south gables have 6 x 12 in vents which allow air movement. The doors are not exceptionally tight and there is a hole in the east side of the wall about 2 ft up from the bottom(which I need to repair )and so air is free to flow from low(cool) to high (warm) throughout the days. Some days I open the doors to let some major heat out and then make sure I close them up at night to retain heat . I placed a small plastic wading pool on the floor and when the humidity gets too low , I put a bucket of water in it to raise the level. My thermometer is a cheap one that has both temperature and humidity gauge. I was lucky to maintain (checked the leaf a few times during the day if I was home,twice at least) 70*F/70rH most of the time during color curing. This took place pretty much during late August and early September. I primed most and only stalk cut I think 4 plants to see a difference of curing. I strung my leaf on wire and hung it up in the ceiling rafters as close as possible without touching. Leaf stalks were placed roughly a fingers width apart . Color curing for some lasted only days while some lasted almost an entire month. It worked well for me but if I were to grow much more I would definitely need a bigger barn.

ChinaVoodoo

I cured 200 plants in a room which was 5'wide x8'long x8'high. It was heated to 100F and humidified to 70% to ensure efficiency. However, when a batch was finished colour curing, I either removed them from the curing room and hung them in the garage or packaged them. With my northern climate, the harvest was very gradual. I would be emptying it the same day as filling it with new leaf. If I had fertilized more, and had to pack it all in one room at the same time, I'd say 5 times the space would have been required.

Gavroche

Thank you very much at all... Merci beaucoup à Tous
hey China... 1.50 m X 2.50 m x 2.50 ? it's little no ?...

in the valley of Semois ( Belgium ) the shed is not close, and Walls are slatted, it is made with boards through which we are born, there is 5 cms between every board from the bottom up the valley of Semois is very wet, the river is close by...But they air the whole feet, they do not air leaf with leaf

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you very much at all... Merci beaucoup à Tous
hey China... 1.50 m X 2.50 m x 2.50 ? it's little no ?...

in the valley of Semois ( Belgium ) the shed is not close, and Walls are slatted, it is made with boards through which we are born, there is 5 cms between every board from the bottom up the valley of Semois is very wet, the river is close by...But they air the whole feet, they do not air leaf with leaf

Yes. Very small. Very densely packed. Lots of air movement. Always warm and humid. Drying was done in a different room after the colour change.
IMG_20150727_132626.jpg
That is the first of seven rows.

Status
Not open for further replies.