Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

De Vries is simply my surname, definitely not the name of the tobacco variety. As for Hugo de Vries, whom if I am not mistaken used the theory of Mendell as if it were his own, the name is one of the most common in the Netherlands. Neither do I work for British American Tobacco, though I do work in the tobacco business.

Confusion aside, as I said, I have on several occasions been to the tabaksteeltmuseum and asked what the variety is. The museum is run buy a few older fellows from Amerongen, some of them who used to be tobacco farmers. They tell me that these are the seeds of the tobacco that was grown until the WWII period. They continue to plant some tobacco every year showcase purposes of the museum. These seeds and plants have thus been growing in the Netherlands for a long time. And I am positively sure that this is a variety meant for cigar binders and wrappers.

As I was in the Netherlands inApril I have planted a number of seedlings and spread them amongst friends who are now groing the plants. I'll ask them to frequently make pictures of the plants. I could upload them and you may see for yourself what sort of plant you think it is. So far, the plants have been doing quite well on numerous spots in Utrecht and Gelderland. As the owners of the museum have failed to come up with a varietal name I myself use the name Amerongen, whilst growing it, loyal to its history. I am currently experimenting to grow some of it here in Indonesia, seeing how the plant does in these circumstances.

If you would like to see some of the results from this variety grown in both the Netherlands and Indonesia, I could make a thread about it, rather than spoiling this thread which is supposed to be on UK tobacco, rather than Dutch tobacco.

By the way, don't confuse the variety with Little Dutch, which is a completely different thing. I've heard that Little Dutch was originally taken from Germany into the United States. Not sure why it was given this name. Seems a bit confusing. As is my surname, apparantly, haha.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard that Little Dutch was originally taken from Germany into the United States. Not sure why it was given this name. Seems a bit confusing.
In early America, when settlers from Germany said they were "Deutsch" (German), their English neighbors called them "Dutch." Hence, the Pennsylvania Dutch are, in fact, German.

Bob

DistillingJim

De Vries is simply my surname, definitely not the name of the tobacco variety. As for Hugo de Vries, whom if I am not mistaken used the theory of Mendell as if it were his own, the name is one of the most common in the Netherlands. Neither do I work for British American Tobacco, though I do work in the tobacco business.

Confusion aside, as I said, I have on several occasions been to the tabaksteeltmuseum and asked what the variety is. The museum is run buy a few older fellows from Amerongen, some of them who used to be tobacco farmers. They tell me that these are the seeds of the tobacco that was grown until the WWII period. They continue to plant some tobacco every year showcase purposes of the museum. These seeds and plants have thus been growing in the Netherlands for a long time. And I am positively sure that this is a variety meant for cigar binders and wrappers.

As I was in the Netherlands inApril I have planted a number of seedlings and spread them amongst friends who are now groing the plants. I'll ask them to frequently make pictures of the plants. I could upload them and you may see for yourself what sort of plant you think it is. So far, the plants have been doing quite well on numerous spots in Utrecht and Gelderland. As the owners of the museum have failed to come up with a varietal name I myself use the name Amerongen, whilst growing it, loyal to its history. I am currently experimenting to grow some of it here in Indonesia, seeing how the plant does in these circumstances.

If you would like to see some of the results from this variety grown in both the Netherlands and Indonesia, I could make a thread about it, rather than spoiling this thread which is supposed to be on UK tobacco, rather than Dutch tobacco.

By the way, don't confuse the variety with Little Dutch, which is a completely different thing. I've heard that Little Dutch was originally taken from Germany into the United States. Not sure why it was given this name. Seems a bit confusing. As is my surname, apparantly, haha.

I dont feel hijacked, but I do feel the breed deserves its own thread. Would definitely be interested in sampling some at some point

Tutu

Spot on, the Dutch / Deutsch confusion is fairly common.

I will collect as much information as I can on growing conditions for the Amerongen tobacco. Will ask the people to whom I've distributed to keep me updated on everything as well as send pictures. Will collect as many seeds as possible and by the end of this calendar year I will start a thread devoted to this variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.