Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How I Protect Against Killer Frosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Every year it happens. I check the 10 day forecast, see that there is no frost predicted and then a heavy frost sets in anyway. My plan begins in October of the year before I plant. That's when I buy a few bales of hay/straw and put them in my shed. When I plant I keep an eye on the forecast. If it is predicted to get down to 40F I go out and cover each of my plants with hay. I just make a little Indian type tee-pee. I choose 40F because our weathermen are very poor forecasters.

Here is a pic of my "normal" plants.
DSC01869.jpg

Here is a pic with one of the plants covered in straw.
DSC01870.jpg

After the danger of frost has passed I just pull the straw away and mulch the base of the plants with it. The beauty of this method is that unlike a plastic cover the straw has enough air pockets that it will not kill your plants if you happen to be away for a few days and they remain covered.

One "average" ( 36"x16"x16") bale of straw will cover approximately 100 plants.

chuditch

That's a good idea and builds up the soil at the same time as it rots down afterwards. I like it

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Thank you Jitter But slugs do not hide in the wet straw?...

Yes they will hide in the straw. What I actually do is pull the straw away a few feet, wait a few weeks for the weather to get warmer and then I put the straw back under the plants. By then the plants are big enough and strong enough to not be damaged by slugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.