Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My Grafting Experiment: Making White Burley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Last year I was fortunate to obtain some White Angel Leaf seed from Canada (Chillardbee) via Virginia (Deluxestogie). I was pretty amazed at the plants. Who wouldn't be? Where have you ever seen a completely white tobacco plant with white suckers and white seed pods?

027.jpg

Not knowing what cultivar of tobacco this was I decided to see if I could "make" my own White Burley ( which is actually extinct contrary to what the pipe companies want you to believe).

I took some White Angle Leaf root stock and grafted a Yellow Twist Bud scion onto it.
DSC01854.jpg

I then put plastic bags around each graft to keep the humidity level up while the wounded plant was healing.
DSC01858.jpg

A week later I took off the bags. Currently they are still in my basement, in the shade. I will slowly introduce them to the sun in about another week.
DSC01867.jpg

And finally... I just couldn't help myself. Here is a pic of my Tomacco plant. It is a low acid tomato scion grafted onto a Duale root stock
DSC01862.jpg

Smokin Harley

I'm not sure of your expected end result...all you are going to get is a yellow twist bud plant on top of the white angel root mass. The root stock will not "make" the rest anything different than what you grafted on. If you're only expecting a successful graft ,living plant,I don't see why it wont work. If you're expecting the yellow twist bud scion to suddenly turn white and yield White Angel seedpods...not gonna happen.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The root stock will not "make" the rest anything different than what you grafted on.

I disagree 100%. Root stocks will transfer their genetic make-up onto a scion. It is not 100 %. That is why tomatoes grafted onto a tobacco root stock will have small amounts of nicotine in their fruit. It is also why frost resistant root stock will confer frost protection onto the scion it is grafted to. Not saying I'll get a pure white twist bud plant. As a matter of fact, I don't know what I'll get. There is some type of mutation going on with the White Angel Leaf. Whether that transfers or not is the reason for the experiment.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like pretty sketchy genetics.

Nicotine is produced in tobacco roots, then transported to the leaves and blossoms.

Bob

Smokin Harley

itd be cool if the tomato plant bloomed and the resulting fruit was tiny smokeable cigars...lol, I can see it in my head, like an old Looney Tunes cartoon.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That sounds like pretty sketchy genetics.

Nicotine is produced in tobacco roots, then transported to the leaves and blossoms.

Bob

It's been awhile since I read anything to do with genetics but I seem to recall that when grafting, a lot of the traits depend on the availability and quantity of xylem and phloem. Xylem transports water soluble nutrients while phloem transports "heavier" things like sugars.One of these ( I think) is responsible for transporting the nicotine from the root stock to the fruit but not the leaves.

Brown Thumb

Cool Experiment.
Ill try one of those Tomatoes on a BLT, I might not need a smoke after lunch.

ChinaVoodoo

I have fond memories of reading The Island of Doctor Moreau as a kid, and the imagination it instigated. This somehow taps into that.

ArizonaDave

I had an oak tree that split in a wind storm a couple of years back, and grafted it back together. It's doing great now, and can't even tell it was once damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.