Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone Know Tobacco legalities in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid420

Just wanted to start growing my own instead of paying these money hungrey governments and big corps but unsure what happen if I do that here in Aus?

I just want chem free tobacco to smoke rather than the rocket fueled crap they sell me in the stores I'm willing to give it my best go to do this

Let me know if anyone has some info oon this much appreciated

Cheers

DistillingJim

To elaborate, one of my friends remarked that you'd get in less trouble for cooking meth

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I believe that it is not legal to grow tobacco in Australia without a permit.
Bob

I believe Bob is correct. There are some Aussie members here, hopefully they will chime in. I think the real issue is not growing tobacco (and getting caught) but rather, without a permit the government can't tax you and the tax is sky high... and so is the fine.

chuditch

It all has to do with tax. You get into more trouble than if you grow pot. That is a state crime and growing tobacco is federal. If caught you will be hit with a fine and also fined for the amount of tax you are evading on the amount of tobacco you have in your possession or are growing. The big growers doing the chop chop get hit hefty fines. Keep your grows small and confined and don't tell anyone. Its a bit like making your own spirits. Make and use don't sell or tell anyone.

Junker

I was reading on another forum and the law itself, but please for the love of all that's holy please don't quote me. The general gist of the legislation was written (albeit confusingly) to deter persons engaging in unlicensed trading of tobacco for commmercial reasons. Now as far as I can understand; while it is technically a crime the chances of persecution when it is abundantly apparent that the stock is controlled and strictly for personal use would be low as it would require more finances and resources than could be made available, also when the public opinion went towards the 1% and cocaine busts it serves the politicians better to get the low hanging fruit. That being the case, it's probably not a good idea to go blabbing about it either. Since all it would take is a copper having a slow day and an ax to grind and suddenly they get an o-so-sadistic last laugh.

DistillingJim

It also has to do with Australias quarantine policies. It is majorly paranoid of any foreign flora and fauna (and, based on history, with good reason)

Junker

@DistillingJim - Border protection is one consideration yes, however Australian legislation makes a habit of going over the top, and in the wrong direction on numerous occasions. To put it into perspective it's the equivalent of a girl who just got dumped, eating ice-cream and watching a sad chick flick, writing a song that is strictly about happiness and butterflies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes I Think you are right on that Junker, but also sometimes its better to be on the safe side.. I have sent tobacco seed to Australia, I remember that I was sending some letter before one finally got all the way to Australia.

Junker

@Hasse SWE - safe is a relative term, and one that I have a very strong opinion on about the way it's been used and implemented. For the sake of "safe" in Australia we have increasingly restrictive gun control which only serves to punish the law abiding citizen; best intention notwithstanding, criminals do not obey laws and the term "safe" or "you were in the right" doesn't hold much weight if someone is opening fire on a crowd of unarmed civilians.

Min this way I say safe is more about what's safe for the ecosystem around you. Introduction of a species that can become an invasive pest - absolutely not, safer definitely to not bother. But safe to follow the law to the letter; I think the law has abandoned reason here long ago in favour of a political agenda, as it does in many first world countries.

ChinaVoodoo

I was reading about how Piloto Cubano got out of Cuba in cotton balls. I was thinking you could use Styrofoam-macaroni around something fragile thing like a coffee cup.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
@Hasse SWE - safe is a relative term, and one that I have a very strong opinion on about the way it's been used and implemented. For the sake of "safe" in Australia we have increasingly restrictive gun control which only serves to punish the law abiding citizen; best intention notwithstanding, criminals do not obey laws and the term "safe" or "you were in the right" doesn't hold much weight if someone is opening fire on a crowd of unarmed civilians. Min this way I say safe is more about what's safe for the ecosystem around you. Introduction of a species that can become an invasive pest - absolutely not, safer definitely to not bother. But safe to follow the law to the letter; I think the law has abandoned reason here long ago in favour of a political agenda, as it does in many first world countries.
Oo laws is always interesting to know about but not the thing I was thinking about when I written "safe" Australia have hard control of things they ain't growing. Europe have not as hard control but there are plenty much we ain't aloud to grow (or put on thing we grow). Some times it feels little silly, special when I can grow example herbs that can make much more problem for mother nature than the thing I can't get from the store..

burge

I am in Canada and remember reading that it was legal to buy tobacco. ie Canada made it legal to import up to 3kgs or have it shipped to you but made it illegal to buy I in Canada and have it shipped. I am at least able to buy leaf legally. I wish I could buy 15kgs at a time and save on the shipping costs. Even it if is a Canadian upplier but have to go through WLT or something it would probably safe me a little money anyhow with our dollar being crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.