Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

wild tobacco plant seeding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasara

I came across these by the side of the road near where i live in the mediterranean - i know we have a native tobacco plant here as i was given a load of seeds recently and am about 6 weeks into them and they are about 2cm leaves now - but is/are these baccy plants about to go to seed ?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19

ChinaVoodoo

The ones on the left look like tobacco but it's too soon to tell as they are very small and nowhere near going to seed. The right t is definitely not tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The green leaves in the right photo appear to be grape leaves, or perhaps filbert. I can't see the leaves beneath the long, brown seed stalks, but it appears to be curly dock.

The labor required to successfully grow tobacco is great enough that it should encourage a grower to use seed with a meaningful provenance.

Bob

karasara

forget the green leaves, they were mixed in the shot and from a different plant - i have another photo of definite tobacco plant here that looks exactly the same (from about 5 week ago and adn't started turning brown yet))IMG_0729.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From the latest photo, it's difficult to see any fine structure in the long, green leaves, so I can't really tell what it is. If it is a Nicotiana species, it does not appear to be Nicotiana tabacum. There are 74 other species that I'm aware of, most of which are not suitable for smoking.

All that I can suggest is to harvest the seed, and try to grow it next year. See what you end up with.

Bob

karasara

i'll grab a handful later and see what happens ! (i'll try and remember to get a better pic)

ChinaVoodoo

I see what you're looking at and i understand why you have your suspicions that it could be a Nicotiana spp. There appears to be brown lines on the stalk every foot or so, like with bamboo. Is that a thing any Nicotiana does?

DGBAMA

Appears the seeds are external, not in "pods" so I would say a weed, not tobaccum

karasara

yeah i had a better look yesterday and compared them - dunno what it is but its very similar :) thx

Status
Not open for further replies.