Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigarden 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomahawk22

3/13/12
Late winter in Maryland has been exceptionally warm.

I carefully placed the following seeds in a seed tray:

3 Turkish Gold
3 Bursa
3 Tennessee Red
3 Havana

Seeds were covered with some leaf mulch from the yard.

Tomahawk22

3/17/12

I carefully placed the following seeds in a seed tray:

3 Virginia Brightleaf
3 Kentucky Burley
3 Connecticut Shade
3 Maryland

Seeds were covered with some leaf mulch from the yard.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i wouldnt cover them up with anything,,,,they wont sprout,

i just sprinkle mine on some vermiculite,,,and mist them...and have sucess,

Daniel

Banned
Seed needing light to sprout is a controversial topic. some say it needs it, others say it doesn't. I personally have sprouted seed without concern for light and it started in 4 days. Once sprouts do emerge I place them under light and it seems more seed germinates. I have read further information than "newer" seed may have dependency on light. Seed I produced last year may support that. I am not getting the fastest or best germination from it so far.

Steve2md

thanks, I appreciate that. I guess a window sill would probably be fine for germination then. Has anyone had luck using 24 hour light to speed up growth in order to squeeze 1 more crop out of the year?

Daniel

Banned
Steve, My general understanding of any plant is that they need some period of darkness to grow well. They do one thing when exposed to light and another in the dark. They need to do both. I do try to expose my plants to around 16 hours of light a day though. So light and dark are not needed in equal amounts. THink of it simply as a plant needs to rest also.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hate to say it, but that don't look like baccy. The one on the left, I'm 95% sure is not. The one in the middle doesn't look right.

You can not cover the seeds with anything at all....nothing.

I'd suggest starting another round of seeds as soon as you could. Use peat moss if you have it. Get the seeds started and keep us posted with the progress. If you use straight peat moss, you'll need a little bit of Epsom Salts in a few weeks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with Don. At that stage, the first pair of true leaves are nearly always still rounded at the tip, and display a distinct leaf stem separating the lamina from the stalk, regardless of variety or ultimate mature leaf shape. The color is also a lighter green for tobacco.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Steve, My general understanding of any plant is that they need some period of darkness to grow well. They do one thing when exposed to light and another in the dark. They need to do both. I do try to expose my plants to around 16 hours of light a day though. So light and dark are not needed in equal amounts. THink of it simply as a plant needs to rest also.

It is pretty well known that green growth removes carbon dioxide from the air and emits oxygen during daylight hours (photosynthesis). While is is dark they "breathe" like most life on earth. They metabolize carbon and oxygen, using oxygen and giving off CO2, generating simple sugars and getting energy for the next building cycle. The ratio is not equal and net they give off more oxygen during the day than they consume at night.

The point of this ramble is that plants do some type of work all the time, building or gathering materials for building and the MUST HAVE both light and dark or die. This may not be true for all species but is for the overwhelming majority.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.