Tobacco Use Preference Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Brown Thumb

I was wondering why more than one choice.
I like my chokes #1
Cigar comes in #2
My pipe is a Hassle per say comes in #3
I like them all tho.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The survey will provide a crude measure of what percentage of FTT members (who take the 4 second survey) have an interest in each of the categories.

Bob

DistillingJim

I wonder if these results will change much if/when the FDA rules come into effect. My original interest was really only in cigars but since the new rules were announced I've realised the benefit of exploring blending for the pipe.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I guess any visitor of FTT can reach the survey link. I'm asking just out of curiosity, how do you know if the survey is taken just by members?
The short answer is that there is no way to know if the survey is taken just by members. The link is available only on the FTT site. It's open to anyone who can find the link. If visitors take the survey, that's fine too. It's specifically a question about the preferences of users of this site.

What's the value of it? My interest in the question was piqued by a member's post welcoming a new member. It stated that FTT was mostly cigar people. For a longstanding member like yourself, having read many years of posts, it's easy to have a sense of how the survey may come out. But so far (with 34 participants), the percentage of pipe smokers (32%) is higher than I would have expected. I also suspected that cigarette smokers would be greater than cigar smokers, which is not presently the case.

While Don uses, I'm sure, sales metrics to apportion his resources, the survey might offer some additional insight.

SAMHSA 2001 NHSDA Survey: Tobacco Use. September 17 said:
According to the 2001 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse (NHSDA), about 66.5 million Americans reported past month use of a tobacco product, or 29.5 percent of the population aged 12 and over. Specifically, 24.9 percent of that population smoked cigarettes, while 5.4% used cigars, 1.0% smoked pipes, and 3.2% used smokeless tobacco.

http://www.samhsa.gov/oas/nhsda/2k1nhsda/vol1/Chapter4.htm

If we use a base of 29.5% of the population (US), then do the math for all smokers:
  • cigarettes: ~84%
  • cigars: ~18%
  • pipe: ~3%
  • smokeless: ~11%
These are very different numbers than what we are seeing in the FTT survey, though I'm not sure of the SAMHSA methodology. They may have simply asked what the subject used last, which is not the same question as the FTT survey asks. Also, most tobacco users in the US have no interest in actually making the tobacco products that they use.

So, I'm curious how this will turn out.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
We could move this thread to the "Private/Members Only" forum, but about 90% of our visitors are not registered as members, so we'd be missing a lot of input.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Can't wait to see the results, I also thought this community was mostly cigarette use, and that's the only way I don't partake.

DistillingJim

Personally, I'm not surprised that the preliminary results suggest pipe and cigar smokers make up the bulk of users. In my experience pipe/cigar smokers are more interested in the artisianal aspects of experimenting with different leaves, their flavours, and making blends themselves. IMO cigarette smokers tend to be more interested in their nicotine fix and while saving money is a valid reason to get into WLT, I get the sense that members here are interested in much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.