Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone with experience recreating Va/Bur plug pipe tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmunoz

I am curious if any of you have experience with creating dark plugs of Virginia and Burley. I am a fan of Peterson's 3Ps and am VERY intrigued by Revor, Warrior, and Rich Dark Flake (all UK plug/flake tobaccos).

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have made many plugs in the past. The only help I can give you is to say build your box so the top AND bottom are removable. It will be much easier to get the plug out once you are done pressing it. Speaking of pressing, don't over do it. Most people that start out making plugs (myself included) add way too much pressure and end up with a hockey puck that is so dense nothing will cut through it.

Good luck.

Gavroche

Welcome...

A friend made me plug...

Equipment:

Section square of matt of metal boat,
Wooden square
Clamp
Parchment paper
Solution water and honey 2 coffee spoons for a liter of water

gsmunoz

Thanks guys! If anyone has suggestions on a good starting point for percent of burely/virginia mix I would love to hear what you've found best.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I can't suggest any Burley/Virginia mix as I don't like the combo. A Virginia/Perique mix with a little Turkish in it is pretty tasty though. Try a 60% Virginia, 20% Perique and 20% Turkish. Keep in mind when making a plug you can't have very wet tobacco ( from any flavoring you may add). If the tobacco is too when when you press it you will squeeze out all the liquid.

If I really, really had to make a Virginia/Burley plug (like someone was going to pay me a boatload of money to do it) I'd start out with 60% Virginia/40% Burley.

The important thing is to keep notes!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The bottom section of this matrix shows that my personal taste for shredded pipe blends that contain burley limits the burley to 25% or less (3/16 to 4/16).
LatakiaBlendingMatrix.JPG

from the thread: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make/

Bob

Gavroche

Keep in mind when making a plug you can't have very wet tobacco ( from any flavoring you may add). If the tobacco is too when when you press it you will squeeze out all the liquid.

!

I moisten the just tobacco enough so that it sticks ... little as for the cape of cigars ...
Later, it is necessary to watch not to make(become) mouldy.

Status
Not open for further replies.