Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A new twist on aphids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Yesterday I began boxing up some of my 2015 crop. Completed about 2/3 of the harvest.

The past few days have been damp, and the leaves hanging on slats in my shed were nicely in case so they packed easily without shattering.

The leaves on one slat from 6 of my first priming of the GL539 (Aug 21) were quite covered with aphid carcasses, with higher concentrations at the root of the leaves; very few appeared at the tips. And I'm sure I would have spotted them if they had been present at harvest. The slats hang about 8" apart from the rafters - with the leaves touching adjacent slats until they dry down a bit and shrink. And none of the adjacent slats was infested.

I had very few aphids show up last year, and soap controlled the few plants affected. The critters were found almost entirely on the small tender leaves and flower buds at the top of the plants.

I conclude that a few came in with a leaf on that slat, and spread and fed over the two or three weeks while the leaves dried down and the buggers died from moisture stress. It seemed unusual because these leaves were first priming, the bottom 8 leaves or so from the stalks - well below the usual aphid locations on the plants.

Anyway no harm done - most brushed off as I boxed them up, and the remainder will add a bit of insect protein flavour to my smoke.

It's just another of the surprises Mother Nature throws our way - to keep us from becoming too complacent and bored!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting observation. I've noticed that on stalk-harvested plants, new aphids may appear at the top of the plant (hanging at the bottom of the suspended stalk), fairly well spoiling those delicate tip leaves that I treasure. In the future, I may just remove particularly green tip leaf from the stalk prior to hanging.

Also, if the tip leaf aphids produce much honeydew, then the tips of the cured stalks may easily develop mold, while hanging in the shed.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Aphids are brought by ants, if we eliminate ants, we eliminate aphids...
Not true. Aphids exist in several different life stages. The flying stage lands on plants, and lays eggs.

AphidLifeCycle.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid

Ants follow later, when there is "honeydew" (excreta) on the leaf surface. Some varieties of ants also harvest the aphids and carry them back to their nest.

Bob

Smokin Harley

"I had very few aphids show up last year, and soap controlled the few plants affected. The critters were found almost entirely on the small tender leaves and flower buds at the top of the plants."
I noticed this as well. they seem to like the younger tip leaves rather than the more mature.
My question at this time is should I spray soap for aphids as the flower stalks develop.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Soap has zero residual effects on insects. You've got to spray the insects directly with it. Also, removing tiny suckers keeps aphids down.

Bob

GeraldMcLane

Get some ladybugs in your garden and also spray a mixture of water and a little dishwashing detergent over the aphids. This would also help you to get rid of aphids.

Status
Not open for further replies.