Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Too Stupid to Give Up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bex

Yep, that's me, in a nutshell. So another absurd year of trying to grow tobacco in the worst climate, with the worst conditions possible, has started. Just so you can feel really badly for me (and I'm not sure if I already posted this), but I hung my lovely crop of burley last year, in my shed - it was coming along GREAT (and I figured I'd be far more successful with it, than with my flue curing travesties of the past two years). So, in January or so, the roof of the shed blew off. Literally. And my entire crop was ruined. There is some powers that be, that just doesn't want me doing this. Tough. I've started again.

Actually (although no photos) I started earlier this year. My problem, considering my location, is bad and iffy weather until June (or later), no sun in my windows until the end of April, etc., so that anything I start indoors early enough, gets leggy, weak before I can plant it out. So, I got a grow light. A good idea, as, while the seed, for some reason, took a bit longer to germinate, it finally came up, came up fairly strong...and straight. I planted (unknowingly) about 70 Virginia plants and about 30 Burley. And, as I am compassionate and against capital punishment (sorry for those who may disagree), I did not murder one seedling. They are all on their way to becoming adults. I started them about a month earlier this year than last year - so started them on April 1. It took the better part of a week to see anything coming up at all - then suddenly, there were little buds in the soil, then tiny little plants and....there they remained just like that, for about 4 days. I wondered if the light was no good, on too long, not on long enough, etc. But within about 4 days or so, they took off again. It took until April 24 or so for them to reach about an inch tall....So slow!! I was a bit disheartened, as I planted them at the same time I planted my vegetables - my vegetable plants (beans, cabbage, etc.) were now about 6 inches tall, totally overshadowing the tiny tobacco plants. But then again, what do I expect from such teeny weeny seeds???

I finally put the flats out in my crappy greenhouse on the 9th of May, and let them get acclimated to being 'outside'....

And in the meantime, I went up the hill to prepare my tunnel - having not really seen it all winter - for the advent of its new inhabitants. Um, no... the tunnel was completely trashed - the sides were flapping in the wind. But, amusingly, a couple of tobacco plants that I had stripped, but not pulled, and left in the tunnel - over the whole winter - were still alive and.....flowering. Geesh, where on earth do I live, where suddenly physics, or biology or whatever, is so topsy turvy???

My little plants grew well in the greenhouse, and within less than a week, I began to repot them from the flats into little pots, where I would keep them until I would see the roots starting to come out of the bottoms of the pots. In the meantime, two tobacco plants that had been in the greenhouse all winter, sitting there about a foot high with small, narrow leaves, began to wake up. One flowered within a week or so. The other is continuing to grow, with larger leaves. It's really weird.

Meanwhile, handy as I am, I went up to the tunnel, had a friend of mine turn all the soil in it, weed it etc. - I am too dainty for this type of work - and I tried tying up the sides of the tunnel to the frame, as best I could. My thought was - as plants actually survived in there all winter, not to worry about the plastic being intact (impossible as the roof is pretty trashed - the plastic in between the green mesh had actually deteriorated)but to use the sides of the tunnel as a kind of windbreak. It would protect the plants from the wind, but still allow the rain and sun in. A good plan, I thought. So, the tunnel was 'ready' anytime the plants were.

By the 7th of June (a month earlier than last year) 35 plants went up into the tunnel. I'm really trying to be good - planting them a decent distance from each other - at least to start with. The 35 plants took up one side of the tunnel (sadly, as I have plenty more). The 'assembly line was continued - plants that were starting to grow in the original flats were being repotted into small pots, as other plants, having been repotted already, were going up into the tunnel. So, those first 35 plants were up there and......were getting mercilessly eaten by SLUGS. I had some pellets from last year - and put them down. The ground was littered blue. But the slugs continued, so I thought perhaps they had lost their 'efficiency'. I bought more pellets. What has happened to these slug pellets????? They used to be 'industrial' grade - big warnings not to put them anywhere near where anything edible was. They used to be blue. Now, all I can find are white ones. You can put them next to your 'strawberries'. They are pure shite. The one side of the tunnel was littered with white and blue pellets. Very colorful. And each day, more bottom leaves were eaten. I had this vision of the slugs - replete with French accents - coming in, munching on the leaves, spying the pellets and saying...'Ah, merci for the dessert!!' I must suffer with these new pellets, as there are no others to be had here. Once the plants start to grow a bit, the slugs will be less of a problem on the upper leaves. I hope.

Over the course of the last 2 weeks, the rest of the plants (another 35) have gone up into the tunnel. It is now 'full'...for the moment, as I still have, what, another 30 or 40 sitting in pots with nowhere to go? The ones in the pots are still fairly small, however, so I have time to think about what to do with them.

And now (naturally) for my dilemma......You may recall (although probably not) that last year I complained that the plants were not a 'lush' green, but rather a pale green. I am having a similar problem this year - only worse. While I understand that there will be a bit of a 'shock' with transplanting, etc., the plants up in the tunnel appear to be a different color, than what is growing in the pots. So, perhaps some feed is needed....???? Most of the liquid feed that I find here is for flowers, fruit, etc. I'm assuming that this is not what I want - I want something to enhance the leaf and make it green. While possibly a mistake, the only thing that seemed to fit what I was looking for was 'grass feed' - high in nitrogen, supposedly to give you lush, green grass. I've watered with it today, and it will be interesting to see if it has any effect - either to help the plants or kill them.....

Anyway, mes amis, that is my histoire, and I'm sticking to it. I know that I haven't posted here over the winter (really nothing to report, and the roof blowing off was highly distressing) but I don't want y'all to think that I've given up, floated to the great beyond, or become lost somewhere over the horizon. I am giving this another shot this year.... the planting has already been problematic. I can't wait for the problems that will arise with the curing - if I get that far.

Hope all is well with you guys.... :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't be much fun if it was too easy. Glad to see you posting. Not so glad about the roof blowing away.

Check the potassium source of your fertilizer. If it is "muriate of" or "chloride," then switch to something that is low in chloride. Due to the low cost, most fertilizers use chloride salts as a source of potassium. Too much chloride will inhibit burn.

Harden your heart, and avoid overcrowding your tobacco plants with welfare cases. Maybe plant the extras as landscaping specimens. (or give them away, or toss them out)

Bob

Bex

The label on the lawn food states that it's 36% nitrogen, 6% potash, 3% sulfur, 0.3% iron. Derived from ammonium sulfate, urea, potassium chloride (oops!) and iron.....I was reading about nitrogen deficiency (ok, in avocados) where the leaf was light green to yellow. I had this light green leaf last year, so I was hoping that a good whack of nitrogen might help. Some of my lower leaves are almost white (the plants are thus far only about 3 'tiers' high)....???
Harden my heart.....this is very difficult. These little plants are struggling to survive. Who am I to make that determination to kill them? I think I will try to grow some of them outside, with only the protection of the house or wall, and see how they go. Or 'landscaping specimens' sounds like a good idea. You can always try to cure them as well!!!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If the variety that appears to have not enough green in the leaves is a white-stem burley variety, then it is common for the lower leaves to appear "sickly," even though that is normal. White-stem burleys have a genetic defect in their chlorophyll metabolism. But once they get growing, they are often quite robust, despite being pale.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Try not to use grass fertilizer, nitrogen content is too high and will affect the burning quality of the leaf. I have no idea what shops you have available to find fertilizer , or what fertilizer is available either. Is there a formulation for tomatoes available? or a general vegetable formula that is like 5-5-5 or 10-10-10 ,something of that nature of equal proportions. I have looked for 6-6-18 tobacco formula fertilizer and being near Chicago ,IL (USA) there just isnt one to be found and shipping of such from where it is plentiful is out of the question because of "haz-mat" laws...so I had to look heavily at my local and very well stocked plant nursery that had an organic 3-4-5 that I apply with a shaker and Menards( do you have those stores?) and found a pelletized (looks like rabbit feed) similar fertilizer. Both have been applied at 2 weeks apart to themselves but 1 week alternately from each other. Let me clarify , one is a faster acting while the other is more of a slow release. At a month in the ground my plants never looked better. Just yesterday I checked them and most are almost 2 ft (like, um...60cm?) tall. with leaf spreads of 40-50cm.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Do you use any organic. Matter in your soil. Cow poop.decomposed green matter.e.t.c

and stay away from the urea.not good for bacca.

i use fish poop for my young seedlings. Good stuff

Alpine

Good to see you back! Have you ever considered to grow a yellow type rustica? I'm growing 2 strains this year and they are easier to grow in bad weather than N. tabacum...

squeezyjohn

I often find that weak yellowing coloured plants of any type respond well to being given a dose of Epsom Salts as a tonic.

Bex

Eck, I've not been vigilant in checking with the forum posts...the weather here has been so horrible, that I pretty much have left my tobacco up in the tunnel, unattended. The good thing is that the roof of the tunnel has completely deteriorated, so I don't really have to attend to watering as much:

smallIMG_20160703_105208_395.jpg

Pretty handy, eh??

I am somewhat ahead of last year, frankly. Last year at this time, I had just planted up into the tunnel. This year, I planted about one month ago. The weather here has been cool - barely 60F...and overcast. We are expecting a 'heat wave' this week - we might even reach 70F....but this type of weather is short-lived up here. In the meantime, this is where I'm at...I have a 'good side' to the tunnel...and a not so good side - same as last year.

The good:

smallIMG_20160717_145647_176.jpg

The not so good:

smallIMG_20160717_145649_775.jpg

Although I'm not quite able to identify them yet, you experts will probably notice that there is burley mixed in with the virginia....Once they grow a bit higher, I should be able to determine which is which. Last year I had bagged my seedheads, but it was so incredibly wet and damp here, that most of them molded in the bags. This year, I will just let one or two of the best plants flower, and top the rest. There is not much cross pollination that would occur in the tunnel....hopefully.
I also have another 30 or so plants in my greenhouse and in small pots....I don't have a place for them...yet.

So, that's where I am at the moment...the plant growth has been really slow, but having put the plants out a month earlier has made up for that somewhat. So now, I will let the plants do their thing, so that later on, I can screw up my flue curing....

Oh, by the way - that suggestion with epsom salts - how much do you use? I have been watering with a nitrogen mix meant for grass...I don't want to do too much of that, as I understand it makes color curing a lot more difficult. I've had enough difficulty with that as it is!! :)

squeezyjohn

The best way to do it is to make up a gallon of spray with 1 tablespoon of epsom salts and spray the whole plant as a liquid feed. But you can do it through the roots as well by putting a light sprinkling of granules around the base of each plant and watering in.

Often a plant yellowing with no other obvious reason comes from a magnesium deficiency. I've never had it damage a plant so I often try that if I can't pinpoint the symptoms.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This year, I will just let one or two of the best plants flower, and top the rest. There is not much cross pollination that would occur in the tunnel....hopefully.

If insects can get into the tunnel you will have cross pollination. Tobacco doesn't wind pollinate like corn, most of it's pollination is carried out by insects traveling from one plant to another.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If molding is a problem, you might consider using a more open mesh, like "bridal veil" fabric. Most of the pollination occurs within the blossom, with its own pollen. Of the remaining fraction, most is by large, flying insects. Wind pollination is minimal to nil. So an open fabric should be adequate.

Bob

Brown Thumb

Their coming along nicely, I get yeller ones too, its no big deal.
Give them some mericle grow and they will be fine.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I know what u mean about the wind..im in Florida on a big penisula..i got wind coming off the gulf and the Atlantic..

When it blows it blows hard..normally Augustus is a very windy month..i tie every one of my plants to a 4' stake..or they will be blown down.

Bex

Well, my B...A...D, as they say. Or at least keeping somewhat of a low profile. It's been so long since I posted, that I forgot how to scale the photos for this post, and have been screwing around with them for hours....But, not to be deterred - just like my experience with tobacco. So....
We have had a horrible summer. And because my tunnel no longer has a roof, my plants were somewhat a 'set and forget' kind of mission - I no longer had to water or even open up the tunnel for ventilation. Pretty good deal, for lazy people. I have also found that my tunnel has a 'good' side and 'bad side - the soil on one side of it is much heavier, and the plants don't do nearly as well on that side. I was also having what I think is a nitrogen problem - I gave them two nitrogen 'treatments' which seemed to do well, but only temporarily. My plants were a bit pale - the crowns would come out nice and green, and then pale down considerably. So, some photos.....Having put the plants out one month earlier than last year this is what they were like on August 8.

The good side:

smallIMG_20160808_142309_461.jpg

The bad side:

smallIMG_20160808_142318_960.jpg

The weeds seem to enjoy the bad side quite well. No comments, please, about my laziness.

By August 27, this shows the difference between the bad and the good side:

IMG_20160827_171750_756.jpg

You see how the plants are quite pale. A better view:

smallIMG_20160827_171756_961.jpg

And yet most of the plants on the good side (even though the first couple of tiers are that pale color) seemed to be thriving:

smallIMG_20160827_171729_957.jpg

In the meantime, I wanted to deal with the chest freezer that I use for curing. I had difficulties with venting it last year, so decided that I should put a proper vent in it. In a perfect world, I will get the little digital hygrometer thingie, an electromagnet, and hook up the vent like Amax's (and I watch that video over and over again on youtube, with the blast gate opening and closing...:) ). However, my world is far from perfect, so this is what I ended up with:

smallIMG_20160830_201721_080.jpg

And from the inside... low tech, but it seems to be working:

smallIMG_20160830_201733_897.jpg

So, a few days ago I started my first run - I suppose that I should put this in the proper area of the forum - I started with 140 leaves, the bottom couple of tiers of the plants (most of which had been topped a few weeks ago). The leaf was fairly pale - some had turned yellow on the plant. I took a photo, and am a bit upset that the colors aren't really accurate. The leaf was either very pale green or fairly yellow:

smallIMG_20160904_091836_852.jpg

The leaf yellowed really quickly - in about 24 hours - and rather than curing for weeks, like in the past, my run lasted only 4 days. This photo doesn't do it justice....I have about 95% yellow leaf, even though it looks like cardboard color in this photo:

smallIMG_20160905_191528_106.jpg

I've now started my second run, and am really hopeful that this year I just might be successful!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.