Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rookie's Grow Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookie

Thanks for the feed back I will read your old logs. Good thing is our first frost typically is not until around the Middle of October so I might have enough time to get a crop this year. If mine our not to stunted from all my mistakes
I sifted Mirical grow potting soil had a lot of big twigs in it.
I have them in Peat pots
I did use Mirical grow fertilizer once after two weeks when I had sprouts and they were not doing anything
I have had them on a grow light for the last 4 days. WOW what a difference.
I have had the soil real wet since day one and that was because of top watering. As of last night I bottom watered with a 1/4 mixture of mirical grow. I am now going to let them dry out from this point and then water a little less going forward
Thanks for the clip idea. What do you mean in Half? Cut leaf in half? I will do that this weekend on the three that I think are big enough for now.
Prescott Valley is about 80 Miles west of Phoenix Arizona we are at about 5,500 feet elevation with a stander relative humidity of 6 to 8 % Temperature on average of around 80 to 90 degrees The last two days we have been over 100 and that isn't typical at all.
We do have a monsoon session from July to August and can get a relative humidity of about 16 to 20% It will rain for about 1 hour in the afternoon almost every other day. This drops our temperature down to around 80 to 88 degrees.

Thanks for the feed back. There might just be hope:) since I found this Blog. You tub just dose not cut it

Smokin Harley

Re: DGBAMA 2016 GROW...4th year.....Set and Forget

Thanks for the feed back I will read your old logs. Good thing is our first frost typically is not until around the Middle of October so I might have enough time to get a crop this year. If mine our not to stunted from all my mistakes
I sifted Mirical grow potting soil had a lot of big twigs in it.
I have them in Peat pots
I did use Mirical grow fertilizer once after two weeks when I had sprouts and they were not doing anything
I have had them on a grow light for the last 4 days. WOW what a difference.
I have had the soil real wet since day one and that was because of top watering. As of last night I bottom watered with a 1/4 mixture of mirical grow. I am now going to let them dry out from this point and then water a little less going forward
Thanks for the clip idea. What do you mean in Half? Cut leaf in half? I will do that this weekend on the three that I think are big enough for now.
Prescott Valley is about 80 Miles west of Phoenix Arizona we are at about 5,500 feet elevation with a stander relative humidity of 6 to 8 % Temperature on average of around 80 to 90 degrees The last two days we have been over 100 and that isn't typical at all.
We do have a monsoon session from July to August and can get a relative humidity of about 16 to 20% It will rain for about 1 hour in the afternoon almost every other day. This drops our temperature down to around 80 to 88 degrees.

Thanks for the feed back. There might just be hope:) since I found this Blog. You tub just dose not cut it

Rookie, I could have just referred you to another post but sometimes they're hard to pinpoint and another point of information is never a bad thing so...

I've tried growing things in peat pellets ,the kind that come as a compressed disk and you toss it in water and it expands...never had anything come of those. Same with peat pots. I'm not sure why but I just can't use those. I've seen other people get plants started with them. I bought a few RooTrainer cells last year but I haven't used them yet. I do have 2 foam float trays I bought from one of the FTT members, I haven't used yet but I will try those next season.
I use the 72 cells per flat ,buy em at Menards . Easier to buy an entire heated "greenhouse" starter flat that includes -the bottom mat heated flat ,72 cells (the black plastic )and a clear cover ,like $30. Starter soil- stay away from the ones that contain cocoa fibers...thats what I used first year and it was garbage. Get a professional starting soil,without fertilizer in it. shouldn't have to sift it but there are occasional sticks but theyre small. Cut the cell packs into smaller sizes. the ones I have come kind of pre-perforated so they end up being a 9 cell pack. ,which works well for me because I just figured if I plant 9 and get 9 to harvest good, I can stand to lose a couple and end up with 6 I'll still harvest something usable. When I load the cells with starter soil, I just fluff it into the cell packs with my hands to over fill the cells ,tap the bottom of the pack on a hard surface to slightly settle the potting soil within the cell. then screed it off with a paint stick. tap it again so the soil is slightly below the level where it was screeded off. set these filled cell packs in a flat and pour a gallon of warm water into the bottom flat ,just a bit over room temperature. let the flat of cell packs soak until the water wicks up into the soil medium . now ,sew the seeds on top and LABEL them well. put it in the heated flat,put the clear cover on it and put it under lights 24 hrs a day until you see green sprouts, should take about a week. In a few days to a week you should see multiple leaf sets. then you can thin them out to one or two plants per individual cell .I actually transplant to fresh new soil about the 2-3 week mark,about when their aggressive growth seems to stall out . They seem to like it and they take off again. Once you see green sprouts though ...include one cap full of this Superthrive I'm referring to to the warm water and only a teaspoon of the vegetable garden formula Miracle Grow. this is my magic tobacco plant elixir . I bought a pint of Superthrive on Amazon for like $35 ...amazing stuff. This one pint should last me quite a few years.
As far as the clipping the leaves. yes, clip the largest leaf (like the size of a quarter) in half cross ways. so you're cutting across the main rib. use a good sharp pair of scissors. In a couple days they'll take off ,roots will be stronger and the stalk will thicken. Also doesn't hurt to put a small fan on the lowest setting near them to make a light breeze which also helps them become stronger. After all this ,they are pretty much ready to go when they get a few inches tall. The day before I set mine out in the "field" I give them another haircut and a soak in the magic elixir. Reduces transplant shock .
This is a lot to take in at once but if you keep a gardening notebook or log ,write this stuff down (copy & paste/print)and keep it as a journal for quick reference . If nothing else , make notes on what NOT to do again. Gives you something to look at while your leaf is color curing or youre planning your next season while you watch the white stuff pile up outside.

Rookie

Re: DGBAMA 2016 GROW...4th year.....Set and Forget

Thanks Smokin Harley I appreciate the time you put in to typing all that out. It will not go to waist. I get the hair cut thing now so every time you say hair cut it is cutting across the leave threw the vein. My goal now is to just try and make this year what is is. I am pretty sure I will get three to four to make it. I will start Keeping notes along the way. Juts like i was supposed to in science class when I went to school. Trust me I know what I have done wrong this is my Third year and this is the furthest I have ever gotten. I know an embarrassment but I am no quieter. So since everyone has been so nice with all this advise I have turned some of them around. What could cause some not all of my plants to tern yellow? I will post a picture of my pooooor loooking plants this weekend it might help you understand more of what I may or may not have.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I have some float trays ill sell ya if ur interested.

P.m. me

Status
Not open for further replies.