Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plants suckering already

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

I used 1/8tsp per 1.5 liters in my fist two applications two -three weeks apart, while in containers the third was 1 TBS per 5 gallon before I planted about three weeks after that. Sure I'll back off leave them alone for a little while, just water for the next while.

Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I was at a manor bacca farm this year and i allways look at thier chemicals they are using..ive never seen this product but they had 5 gallon jugs of a product called." Sucker punch " its to control a plant from suffering.

I should have took me a gatorade bottle full of it but didnt.( I carry empty bottles.with me just for that purpose )

buck

This was the first time I used grow lights and they were not on a timer so it could be a change in hours of light they got going from in indoor to outdoor as well as I installed flood lights with motion detectors in the back this winter. Maybe a combo of everything stressed the plants out.

ChinaVoodoo

I was at a manor bacca farm this year and i allways look at thier chemicals they are using..ive never seen this product but they had 5 gallon jugs of a product called." Sucker punch " its to control a plant from suffering.

I should have took me a gatorade bottle full of it but didnt.( I carry empty bottles.with me just for that purpose )

That would fit the category of suckercide. I personally have enough fingers and time to avoid using it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That would fit the category of suckercide. I personally have enough fingers and time to avoid using it.

I agree..as i do my walk thru of the patch..ill break them off.

But near the end of the season ill let them grow..they will make good blending leaf.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Some of my Vuelta Abajo are blooming really short . I believe that some varieties bloom short / quicker than others because of soil . Rusticas seem to do the same , bloom when they get root bound .
Other plants I have from my greenhouse show no signs of blooming and were seeded about the same time in the same plant growing environment .

Sucker control is used after topping and it not meant to be used before topping tobacco . Sucker control works up to three almost four weeks and then suckers may start growing again .

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hey BigB, was just about to ask: why kind of sucker control options are there? I've heard in the olden days veggie oil (any oil containing fatty acids, either animal or vegetative) have been used, applied towards the top of the topped plant, allowing it to drip down and contact the suckers. It's non systemic, but wears off quickly. Anyone in your area used that kind of treatment before?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have blossoms already on a few, I'm going to follow the recommendation to let the bud stretch up for a bit before I snap it. The sucker's have all been pulled off, and as I think it was drbob observed, they aren't real persistent in coming back like after the plant is topped. I've already removed the bottom 3 leaves on each plant, and have started to notice leaf and stalk growth increasing.

When I top I'll be taking just the bud and that one tiny leaf that forms with it, that should leave me with 8-10 leaves per plant, which I will be more than happy with.

In thinking about it, it's a strain from the 30's. I shouldn't expect uniformity like I would with something released recently. All it has to do is deliver flavor and I'll call it a perfect success.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Hey BigB, was just about to ask: why kind of sucker control options are there? I've heard in the olden days veggie oil (any oil containing fatty acids, either animal or vegetative) have been used, applied towards the top of the topped plant, allowing it to drip down and contact the suckers. It's non systemic, but wears off quickly. Anyone in your area used that kind of treatment before?

Olden days everything was done by hand . Suckering and removing worms were jobs for the whole family .Bucket to put the worms in

Modern sucker control is sprayed on the top of Burley and Flue cured tobacco covering the top third of plant leaves .
Dark fire, Dark air , Ct Broad leaf and most others use the run down the stalk method , shoot is the name of one sucker control. Jugging is another name for run down stalk .

Burley an flue cured use Sucker plucker , Super sucker , Royal MH 30 , that's is non organic use.

Fatty Alcohol is the main use for organic it is called O-TAC I believe it is natural fatty alcohol - Mascol 80

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Some of my Vuelta Abajo are blooming really short . I believe that some varieties bloom short / quicker than others because of soil . Rusticas seem to do the same , bloom when they get root bound .
Other plants I have from my greenhouse show no signs of blooming and were seeded about the same time in the same plant growing environment .

Sucker control is used after topping and it not meant to be used before topping tobacco . Sucker control works up to three almost four weeks and then suckers may start growing again .

Yes thier plants in that field i was.at.was.established..

Im glad you clarified to use it.after topping..damn i wish I'd got me a quart of that stuff..its the first time id seen it..and i visit a lot of huge bacca farms

buck

Sucker growth has slowed down a bit and plants have gotten bigger and look very healthy. If I look down the centre of the plant and gently pull the centre leaves apart I can see start of the bud head forming on most of these plants so this will be as much as the plants will produce, the leaves I know will get larger once I top the plant. Still a couple of weeks before getting to that point. I have a few others growing in my garden but are smaller than these, haven't looked to see if those are budding.

IMG_20160710_162639.jpgIMG_20160710_162658.jpg

buck

Plant size since my last posting has increased and all my plants are budding and will start flowering early next week from what I can gather, I'll top them before that.
I'll leave one sucker to grow on each.

Killed three caterpillars that found their way onto these plants somehow and chewing on the top leaves mostly.

buck

So this is what they look like now. They yellowed up a bit probably due to not enough fert.
This weekend I'll do my first priming.

IMG_20160805_201430.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Bad thing about growing in pots is watering is a pita, the leaves act as umbrellas for the pot.

Every year I grow one single experimental in a pot and get so frustrated with trying to keep it in water around this time.

This year pot sits in kiddie pool, problem solved

Next year I think I will fill a pool with pots, I can get the plants to enormous size I think due to warmer temps.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That really is a good idea for a 5 gallon bucket.

buck

One good thing about bucket grows is there are very few slugs or caterpillars if any damaging your plants, and no aphids, pretty much bug free at least in my case.

buck

These produced average yield and average sized leaves as expected from a bucket grow, half as much as my garden ones. They are done color curing and will be kilned shortly.
I did let one grow a sucker and it is about to flower, leaves are tiny but I just let it grow didn't water it or take care of it at all.

If timed properly I can probably grow two batches in one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.