Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Willamette Valley - Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHawks

Willamette Valley Oregon
I have been buying shredded tobacco for years, but I thought I would start buying the whole leaves and shredding them myself. I just finished shredding a pound of Virginia Bright leaf on my new shredder and I am thrilled to have the project work so well. I still need to learn a lot about the process, such as moisture control. Fun stuff!

I have an acre of ground to play with, and when I feel confident in my abilities, I may try my hand at growing some plants and curing some leaves. Maybe next year after I repair all our in ground sprinkler system. So many projects to finish first.

Smokin Harley

Welcome to FTT .
First I'll tell you that tobacco is not only easy to grow ,its fun to watch it grow. Its also very addicting and thats not even in reference to using it. Always great info in here. Any questions you have ,someone has most likely done it already , ask away. Read all the posts you can.

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco. whole leaf tobacco is the way to go. Your all ready in RYO so, you should know the first step of moisture control. An air tight container. What else are your concerns about processing?

CyberHawks

Willamette Valley Oregon
Thank you for your greetings! I am used to RYO, but only so far as purchasing pre-shredded tobacco that has been carefully moistened and packed in a resealable bag before I purchased it. Now that I am purchasing whole leaf tobacco and shredding it myself, I received two bottles called Cigarette Casing No. 1 and Cigarette Casing No. 3. The instructions tell me to add a tablespoon of water and apply it to the shredded tobacco and let it rest. I admit I have said hello here and haven't had a chance yet to search the forum for more information, which I will do. It is more of a fascination with the process, than a concern that I have. I'm just excited to learn a new skill and experiment with new flavors!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...when I feel confident in my abilities, I may try my hand at growing some plants...
You will feel confident approximately March 15, 2017, at which time you will sow tobacco seed indoors, expecting to transplant them to the ground in early to mid May.

Welcome to the forum. A reasonable decision point to grow happens only once a year.

Be sure to read the Growers' FAQ (link at the top of each page).

Bob

Smokin Harley

"You will feel confident approximately March 15, 2017, at which time you will sow tobacco seed indoors, expecting to transplant them to the ground in early to mid May."
Sounds like an order...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberHawks

Willamette Valley Oregon
Thank you, I've set up my calendar to start growing Mid March next year. I've read a lot of the forum now and I have a much better understanding of what the casings are for and how to use them. I'm sure I was told at one point, but age seems to be affecting my memory these days, heh.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. What's your general location? This link will give you your average first and last frost dates based on your zip code. Start seed indoors about eight weeks before you last frost. I start seed in Feb. down here in Alabama for planting out in April. Just depends on where you live.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really

DOH. I just saw the thread title. If you add your general location to your profile it will appear under your name with every post.

CyberHawks

Willamette Valley Oregon
Thank you Knucklehead, I customized my title to reflect where I am from and I saved the link you gave me. I think before I plant I will order the sampler packs and expand my knowledge of types of tobacco. I also want to get back into brewing my own beer. Once I figure out what I like, and if I haven't killed the tomatoes and other vegetables that I'm growing for the first time, then I'll try my hand at growing some tobacco.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
You may want to redesign your in ground sprinklers..

They need to be at last 4' tall to wet the whole plant..im using wobbler sprinkler heads and they are working perfect..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Im also spinning the idea of brewing some beer..ive never done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.