Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Water --- Water crap stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

I've not said a thing for a time now, Guess it is time for another post.
Our city water has been not so good and getting worse. I recently decided to upgrade my filter set up it was a simple affair, one small filter and a water softener.
The new system cost about $650 with some plumbing changes (pipe & fitting needed). I used an under the sink 5 stage reverse Osmosis set-up from I-spring ($250) and
a whole house system installed at the house water in line (about $200) it consist of a Whiripool 10"x 4.5" sediment filter and two Big Blue 20" x 4.5" 5 micron carbon filters followed by the water softener.
Probably don't need the softener but I have it so I used it. It took about 6 hours to install every thing. I flushed the water softener and hot water tank before installing the under the sink system.
For the whole house part of the system I used unions in the piping to allow for easy removal. When this place sells I want to take it all with me, the unions will allow me to remove the filters and replace with a straight piece of pipe. The under sink system I can remove the water line adapter and seal the 1/4" hole in the soil line and take it too.

Bottom line I now have great water = good coffee and no gunk in the pot. Did I mention no fluoride!
:)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Eww tea. Well not eww if you add sugar to saturation then pour over ice, but I reckon one only has so many of those in a lifetime before your pancreas says f this, so no tea for me.

Something you might try when you come up north is chaga tea, parasitic fungi that grows on birches up here. I don't believe the hocus pocus, but it tastes great.

Brown Thumb

If you got High Blood Pressure that water softener will kill ya. We have Sulfur well water and it smells like rotten eggs.
When I was researching my new 600 ft. deep well issue I found out about that.
I stuck in a 200 buck single stage whole house filter and the water is good but Hard.
I Change the filter every 3 months tho. 40 bucks.
I like my Coffee, Black. one pot a day

Snusser

The rotten egg smell of a sulfur well is bacteria farts...

"Iron bacteria and sulfur bacteria present in groundwater use iron and sulfur as an energy source and chemically change sulfates to produce H2S gas. These bacteria use the sulfur available from decaying plants, rocks, or soil and often thrive in an iron-rich environment. " Info lifted from cleanwaterstore.com.

When the smell of my tap water gets to the fetid swamp scent level, I pour a diluted gallon of Clorox unscented regular bleach down the well casing. This knocks the bacteria out for a few months.
Chlorine pellets for well systems also do the job.
A softener for the wife, two activated charcoal filters on the house and a third counter top PUR filter for cooking and coffee. Well water in Florida is a pain.

AmaxB

Hey Brown Thumb please tell why the water softener is bad for high blood. Yeh got to have sugar in the coffee and the tea, I don't drink much tea thou 1 to 2 cups is all. My wife has limited the coffee to one pot she is trying to look after my health so I don't fight it to hard. The whole house carbon filters are some big boys they'll cost me something like 30 bucks each every 6 to 8 months and the smaller 10"x4.5" sediment filter will set me back 28 bucks every 6 months. I went with the big ones so I would not lose water pressure while adding more surface area. I used to get white spots on every thing, not any more. Oh and I have pressure gauges on them so I can watch for drop. I lost 2 pounds coming out of the whole house part of my system. Lady I spoke to today told me she has two dogs and they won't drink her water, so she buys them bottle water - that sucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.